Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:07 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It would be helpful if you give your definition of addiction, as I don't see my behavior fitting the standard definitions of addiction, from a quick search online - although using a substance that one knows to cause harm might be the exception. That's a pretty week definition, as the beer after work, or the ice cream three times a week, then defines someone as an addict.

I suspect you're using the term addict loosely, and your stressful life indicates that you might be self medicating, rather than chilling.
I smoke because it's fun. I enjoy getting blazed and playing xbox, watching TV, or messing around in my shop after work in the evenings. It's a form of entertainment. I've quit for long periods before where I was no longer addicted, but if I quit today, I would be anxious as hell and lucky if I got 4 hours of sleep because my body is physically addicted to the effects of habitually smoking weed every night. I would experience these types of withdrawal for at least a week if I quit. Not wanting to deal with that as well as a month or so of constantly thinking about getting high every night sucks when you're super stressed, but once I get about a month clean, I always feel better.

The problem is that I always seem to think that I can smoke in moderation like a lot of stoners, which means I'll end up hitting the pipe here and there with buddies or my wife. This has led me back to smoking 7 days a week every time because I'm an addict just like anyone else that gets high everyday.

Anyways, Who cares what my definition of "addiction" is?

It's a word in the English language with a actual legit definition. Look it up

Your response will be that this isn't you, and my habit is somehow unique, but from my experience, most people that smoke weed, habitually smoke it. Add to this that most stoners I know these days are all about oils, wax, or shatter and don't even smoke flower anymore, which makes being a stoner much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 11:24 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
I smoke because it's fun. I enjoy getting blazed and playing xbox, watching TV, or messing around in my shop after work in the evenings. It's a form of entertainment. I've quit for long periods before where I was no longer addicted, but if I quit today, I would be anxious as hell and lucky if I got 4 hours of sleep because my body is physically addicted to the effects of habitually smoking weed every night. I would experience these types of withdrawal for at least a week if I quit. Not wanting to deal with that as well as a month or so of constantly thinking about getting high every night sucks when you're super stressed, but once I get about a month clean, I always feel better.

The problem is that I always seem to think that I can smoke in moderation like a lot of stoners, which means I'll end up hitting the pipe here and there with buddies or my wife. This has led me back to smoking 7 days a week every time because I'm an addict just like anyone else that gets high everyday.

Your response will be that this isn't you, and my habit is somehow unique, but from my experience, most people that smoke weed, habitually smoke it. Add to this that most stoners I know these days are all about oils, wax, or shatter and don't even smoke flower anymore, which makes being a stoner much easier.
What definition are you using?, as daily use of a substance that isn't necessary, opens the way for just about anything to be an addiction.

I'm already familiar with the definition, but did look it up just for a bit of further clarification. Standard definitions are important during debate, as without them it's not really a debate, but just a discussion on the meaning of words.

I've never experienced sleeplessness before from weed, but have from stress - stress might be the main issue you have, and you may be addicted to the stress, and the weed is self medication.

Last edited by Joe90; 11-12-2017 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-12-2017, 12:28 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:

I see now what part of our problem with communication is. You really are a "stoner", and most of your friends are too. That's how you see "dope", "getting blazed", and all the other stereotypical words I have to put in quotes. You extend your experiences so that it applies to everyone, and in your book, it's case closed. Then, in your mind at least, anyone else who uses it is a "stoner", and they're using it to get "blazed". On top of that they're all addicts who are in denial if they don't admit it. The cherry on top is that most are "idiots"!

Well, I'm here to tell you there is an entire legion (as in millions) of users that don't fit your mold, and I'm one of them. If we worked together or met in a social setting, you would have no way of telling that I am a cannabis user. You have met many people like that, whom you assume do not "smoke dope". This has led you to make several invalid assumptions, like most who use it are idiots and that you are somehow a rarity. Ha!

I am very glad that most of the cannabis users I know are, unlike your friends, not idiot "stoners". They are professionals like myself, most of whom do not use it to get "blazed".

God, I hate these stereotypical marijuana terms that have little meaning in an adult discussion.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I see now what part of our problem with communication is. You really are a "stoner", and most of your friends are too. That's how you see "dope", "getting blazed", and all the other stereotypical words I have to put in quotes. You extend your experiences so that it applies to everyone, and in your book, it's case closed. Then, in your mind at least, anyone else who uses it is a "stoner", and they're using it to get "blazed". On top of that they're all addicts who are in denial if they don't admit it. The cherry on top is that most are "idiots"!

Well, I'm here to tell you there is an entire legion (as in millions) of users that don't fit your mold, and I'm one of them. If we worked together or met in a social setting, you would have no way of telling that I am a cannabis user. You have met many people like that, whom you assume do not "smoke dope". This has led you to make several invalid assumptions, like most who use it are idiots and that you are somehow a rarity. Ha!

I am very glad that most of the cannabis users I know are, unlike your friends, not idiot "stoners". They are professionals like myself, most of whom do not use it to get "blazed".

God, I hate these stereotypical marijuana terms that have little meaning in an adult discussion.
Because you don't want to believe you're just another pothead. I get it.......

The fact that you call marijuana cannabis tells me everything I need to know about you.
Denial is common with most addicts. Potheads are the WORST hands down when it comes to justifying getting loaded everyday. They truly don't think they're addicted or suffer withdrawal when the quit, yet the lose their minds when you take their weed away.

I've been smoking dope for almost 30 years, and in that time I have found that most people that share my habit are losers.

If I sorted all of my childhood friends into two groups, the group that consisted of people that don't heavily drink or smoke would also consist mostly successful and educated people. I only know a few people that get high every night like myself that I would consider successful, and one of them just lost their job for using a company credit card for personal use.

The group that consisted of daily smokers and drinkers would consist mostly of people that have all kinds of issues from not being able to maintain a healthy relationship, to working dead end jobs, to just being plain old stupid. These people aren't stupid from the drugs and alcohol, they abuse drugs and alcohol because they were stupid to begin with.

There is mountains of per-reviewed research on the effects of habitually smoking pot. It will negatively effect your life just like anything else if you abuse it. You can call it cannabis or medicine all you want, but just know that you're not fooling anyone. You are no different than me. OWN THAT ........

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-12-2017 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: language

Old 11-12-2017, 01:20 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
As a proponent of legalization, I am not going to pretend there isn't negative consequences of marijuana usage, especially daily smoking. Like anything, it can be beneficial in moderation but it can become a crutch when used to excess. Like other recreational substances, some people can smoke every now and then and not get addicted while others fall into daily habits. I am personally quite jealous of people who can smoke a pipe or cigar occasionally because I cannot do it without becoming a full-fledged nicotine junkie. However, the withdrawal from marijuana is very mild compared to say alcohol, heroin, or even tobacco. Marijuana withdrawal after long term usage is more along the lines of caffeine withdrawal. Uncomfortable but manageable. When people say marijuana is not addictive, this is what they really mean. You also have to smoke heavily for a long time before addiction becomes a danger in the first place.

I quit tobacco cold turkey last June and I was completely out of commission for like a week.

I think the question of whether or not marijuana should be legal is a separate issue from whether or not its beneficial. There are a lot of things that aren't good for us that are legal. Soft drinks can be an addiction and they cause obesity. Should we ban them?

Old 11-12-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Because you don't want to believe you're just another pothead. I get it.......

The fact that you call marijuana cannabis tells me everything I need to know about you.
Denial is common with most addicts. Potheads are the WORST hands down when it comes to justifying getting loaded everyday. They truly don't think they're addicted or suffer withdrawal when the quit, yet the lose their minds when you take their weed away.

I've been smoking dope for almost 30 years, and in that time I have found that most people that share my habit are losers.

If I sorted all of my childhood friends into two groups, the group that consisted of people that don't heavily drink or smoke would also consist mostly successful and educated people. I only know a few people that get high every night like myself that I would consider successful, and one of them just lost their job for using a company credit card for personal use.

The group that consisted of daily smokers and drinkers would consist mostly of people that have all kinds of issues from not being able to maintain a healthy relationship, to working dead end jobs, to just being plain old stupid. These people aren't stupid from the drugs and alcohol, they abuse drugs and alcohol because they were stupid to begin with.

There is mountains of per-reviewed research on the effects of habitually smoking pot. It will negatively effect your life just like anything else if you abuse it. You can call it cannabis or medicine all you want, but just know that you're not fooling anyone. You are no different than me. OWN THAT ........
Not even close, sir. But thank you for bringing up semantics. That fact that you use words like stoner and dope tells me all I need to know about you also.

My experience outranks yours by over 15 years. I did stop using it for a while, about 27 years ago, for about 3 years. Looking back, it is easy for me to see those were the least productive 3 years of my life.

Try being open minded.

I just turned 61. I have used it almost daily for over 45 years. I could fill you in on my health, my career, my accomplishments, etc., but let's just say during this period I have been quite the entrepreneur, paid my taxes, smiled, opened the door for people, and have never filed a medical insurance claim in my life.

For the last 20 years I have studied more about the plant itself and how it became illegal. So I'm pretty up to speed on that part too.

Currently I build a complex piece of test equipment for a niche market in the electronics industry. I designed the hardware which I build from scratch, and wrote the software. I have been doing that for about 16 years. Before that, I founded and ran a computer networking company in Oklahoma City which is still in business. All of this from a "stupid pothead". Hmmm...

The problem with your so-called peer-reviewed mountain of research is that it doesn't include the vast majority of cannabis users. That's because unlike you and I they choose to remain in the closet about their usage, because the repercussions of being discovered could shatter their life and career. Many of those are high-tech types like myself (software engineers are a good example), who are so good at what they do that their employer knows better than to test them. There are millions like that. Believe me, you being a professional who uses it everyday is no rarity. OWN IT!

Even researching these CD forums would turn up many examples of what I am talking about. Here's just one:

Quote:
I managed high tech groups for 30 years. I will agree with our programmer that his ilk think that Pot increases their productivity. I also am reasonably sure it does not. Does not degrade it either. Had a group in upstate NY that developed the first color copier. Big set of pot heads...very productive development team.

On the west coast it was so common that I doubt you can find a major software team that was not more than 50% stoned most of the time.

If you ran a party for Senior development types you could count on most of the attendees abeing stoned and worried about coke not pot,.

They ended up running the places...and did OK.
I know that's not a bunch of BS because I was a part of the high-tech revolution of the 70's and 80's, and wound up running my own place too. Cannabis usage was (and still is) rampant among those types of people.

You, on the other hand, probably do not even know (or maybe even acknowledge) the difference in how mostly Indica influenced strains affects someone compared to a mostly Sativa strain. To you it's probably all the same, and the effect is the same: Turning people into drug addicts. Am I right?

If most cannabis users are like what you are describing, how in the world could a bunch of stupid, idiot, potheads support a multi-billion dollar per year industry???

I am guessing you don't live in a state that is enjoying legalization, or that you haven't bothered to visit a dispensary, because if you had you might have noticed that most of the people standing in line don't fit your stereotype at all...

Last edited by Raddo; 11-12-2017 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-12-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Not even close, sir. But thank you for bringing up semantics. That fact that you use words like stoner and dope tells me all I need to know about you also.

My experience outranks yours by over 15 years. I did stop using it for a while, about 27 years ago, for about 3 years. Looking back, it is easy for me to see those were the least productive 3 years of my life.

Try being open minded.

I just turned 61. I have used it almost daily for over 45 years. I could fill you in on my health, my career, my accomplishments, etc., but let's just say during this period I have been quite the entrepreneur, paid my taxes, smiled, opened the door for people, and have never filed a medical insurance claim in my life.

For the last 20 years I have studied more about the plant itself and how it became illegal. So I'm pretty up to speed on that part too.

Currently I build a complex piece of test equipment for a niche market in the electronics industry. I designed the hardware which I build from scratch, and wrote the software. I have been doing that for about 16 years. Before that, I founded and ran a computer networking company in Oklahoma City which is still in business. All of this from a "stupid pothead". Hmmm...

The problem with your so-called peer-reviewed mountain of research is that it doesn't include the vast majority of cannabis users. That's because unlike you and I they choose to remain in the closet about their usage, because the repercussions of being discovered could shatter their life and career. Many of those are high-tech types like myself (software engineers are a good example), who are so good at what they do that their employer knows better than to test them. There are millions like that. Believe me, you being a professional who uses it everyday is no rarity. OWN IT!

Even researching these CD forums would turn up many examples of what I am talking about. Here's just one:

I know that's not a bunch of BS because I was a part of the high-tech revolution of the 70's and 80's, and wound up running my own place too. Cannabis usage was (and still is) rampant among those types of people.

You, on the other hand, probably do not even know (or maybe even acknowledge) the difference in how mostly Indica influenced strains affects someone compared to a mostly Sativa strain. To you it's probably all the same, and the effect is the same: Turning people into drug addicts. Am I right?

If most cannabis users are like what you are describing, how in the world could a bunch of stupid, idiot, potheads support a multi-billion dollar per year industry???

I am guessing you don't live in a state that is enjoying legalization, or that you haven't bothered to visit a dispensary, because if you had you might have noticed that most of the people standing in line don't fit your stereotype at all...
I didn't read any of that

Old 11-12-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I didn't read any of that
I'm not surprised. Blinders on, fingers in ears, muttering la la la la over and over....

What is really strange about this conversation is this sort of useless banging my head against the wall is usually conducted with a close-minded prohibitionist. Thank you for not being one.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:04 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Medical marijuana is a joke, but I have no problem with people getting high. They should sell weed at 7-11 imo.

I think if they weren't trying to disguise legalizing marijuana as a medical thing, it would be nationally legalized or at least decriminalized by now. The problem is that when you base your argument on BS, most somewhat inteligent people can tell, and you will typically lose the argument because you have nothing to stand on.

Marijuana should be legal because there's nothing wrong with getting high. That should be the arguement, not a bunch of BS medical benifits that only people that already smoke dope recieve......smh. Any actual medical use that marijuana can be used for doesn't require THC, but nobody seems to want that type of medical marijuana.....lol

Saying medical marijuana is a joke is in itself a huge knee slapper. When has it ever been thoroughly researched? And are you aware there are many plant based medications?

Old 11-12-2017, 03:13 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Dope cures nothing while manufactured drugs could.

And just WHAT is it you imagine is the difference between 'dope' and 'manufactured drugs'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies