Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 02:03 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times

Advertisements

Poll: 64 percent of Americans support legalizing marijuana | TheHill

It looks like nearly two-thirds of Americans support legalization and around half of Republicans do. When are we going to stop wasting millions of dollars in resources against a plant that is less harmful than alcohol? I understand that people may have religious objections to using it or may simply not like it. However, there is no reason for it to remain illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 02:08 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times
I agree and the medical benefits are well documented (look them up). Marijuana is more than just getting high. CBDs in marijuana are great for anxiety, depression and pain just to name a few. You can take these CBDs without getting high. I believe one of the reasons it is still illegal is because of big pharma. I also believe in 5 to 10 years it will be legal on the national level. The government will make it a state level decision once it is legal nationally.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:19 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I agree and the medical benefits are well documented (look them up). Marijuana is more than just getting high. CBDs in marijuana are great for anxiety, depression and pain just to name a few. You can take these CBDs without getting high. I believe one of the reasons it is still illegal is because of big pharma. I also believe in 5 to 10 years it will be legal on the national level. The government will make it a state level decision once it is legal nationally.
I just finished writing a series of articles on the uses of CBD. From my research, you are correct. CBD has very few side effects, mainly dry mouth and slightly lowered blood pressure. Yet, it can be used to treat conditions for which traditional medicines have serious side effects. For example, CBD has been shown to relieve the symptoms of ADD and ADHD - both of which are traditionally treated with costly "speed" medicines that turn our kids into walking zombies. There is some fantastic research being done which shows a lot of promise for conditions like epilepsy (known to be treatable with CBD), multiple sclerosis (again, known to be treatable with CBD), and diabetes (looks very promising) as well (does anyone else pronounce that as "diabeetus" because of the old Wilford Brimley commercials?). CBD has been shown to slow the growth of cancer cells and alleviate the effects of chemotherapy, as well. Overall, there is a lot of potential and as you said CBD doesn't cause any sort of intoxication or cognitive impairment.

All that being said, yeah, I think the fact that a plant that has very limited risks is illegal while big pharma and the alcohol sellers get away with peddling poison is a bit ridiculous.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:29 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Jeff Sessions doesn't, and the private-prison industry doesn't. They have more clout than a mere 64% of Americans.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:38 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,396 times
I haven't smoked/used it for years, but have several cousins/nieces/nephews who do in states where it is legal. I am intrigued by all the studies on CBD. I would vote for it being legal everywhere in the U.S.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:39 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Only 64 percent voted to defend the rights of the individual. At least it's getting better.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:43 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Marijuana has shown tremendous benefits in the medical field, specifically with regards to pain relief and anxiety. The data is pouring in and it is showing without a doubt the benefits.

Moreover, it has the potential to greatly reduce the reliance on the much more deadly alcohol and to slow the current opioid epidemic.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:45 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Jeff Sessions doesn't, and the private-prison industry doesn't. They have more clout than a mere 64% of Americans.
Terribly sad, but terribly accurate as well.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:48 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Marijuana has shown tremendous benefits in the medical field, specifically with regards to pain relief and anxiety. The data is pouring in and it is showing without a doubt the benefits.

Moreover, it has the potential to greatly reduce the reliance on the much more deadly alcohol and to slow the current opioid epidemic.
American Public Health Association (APHA) publications

Already happening.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:49 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Terribly sad, but terribly accurate as well.
Don't forget the Christian Right. The religious moralists are a huge part of why it is still illegal. In addition to trouble with Big Pharma and the private prison industry, supporting legalization would not be popular with the evangelicals who are the base of power in many red states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies