Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 12:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

I think anybody with half a brain would know Harvey Weinstein cannot be the only one. It is the Hollywood culture that breeds people like Harvey Weinstein.

So who else? Why aren't the actresses and actors naming names to oust more sexual predators? Do they not care about the young women and men coming to work in Hollywood? What are they afraid of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 12:26 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I think anybody with half a brain would know Harvey Weinstein cannot be the only one. It is the Hollywood culture that breeds people like Harvey Weinstein.

So who else? Why aren't the actresses and actors naming names to oust more sexual predators? Do they not care about the young women and men coming to work in Hollywood? What are they afraid of?
They allowed it because it promoted their careers. If they didn't have enough self-respect to speak out when it happened to them fearing it would not promote or hurt their career, why would they care about other young men and women going to work in Hollywood? Frankly, I just thought that is how the less talented at the time paid their dues, are people actually surprised to realize this? I wasn't as it has been common knowledge for decades.

I do have sympathy for the ones that underaged, especially that their parents didn't care enough to be there keeping them safe. I have seen that some parents were always there protecting the interests of their children.

I think this happens in every field, not just Hollywood. Ever heard of "sleeping his/her way to the top" and such? https://www.careeraddict.com/sleepin...way-to-the-top and Not into sleeping your way to the top? Why your career could seriously suffer. | The Eighty8 and https://thoughtcatalog.com/iris-mila...ay-to-the-top/

I think it is an immoral choice, but it is all about choice. If they didn't speak out, they enabled it.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:27 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
It's not always fear. Because many of these people are rich, powerful, and possibly nearly universally beloved, coming forward can be a career ending move. It's not out of indifference; it's about inability.

I saw a story (it was on Twitter, so take it for what it's worth) about a woman who was accused of not caring about women's issues for not specifically talking about the matter of sexual assault. She responded by telling a story about her sexual abuse from a Rabbi... a Rabbi who follows her on Twitter, who, despite some suspicion from other Rabbis, was ultimately protected by his peers. A Rabbi who's wife threatened the woman for attempting to come forward.

The thing that took Weinstein down was that sheer quantity of women who came forward (and some excellent journalism from the NYT and the New Yorker... remember that conservative trying to make this a "democrat problem;" if it weren't for the NYT, regularly called fake news, you probably wouldn't even be able to swing that at Democrats), Weinstein would probably still be respected. I believe a year or two ago, Meryl Streep said in an Oscar acceptation speech that she'd "like to thank God... Harvey Weinstein." And I don't say that to rip on Meryl Streep, but to point out how untouchable a guy like Weinstein realistically was.

I don't think anyone would disagree that there are more of them in Hollywood. But any high profile figure would be a behemoth to take down, and understandably, not many people want to risk ending their career.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:29 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:

It's the culture of power. It's not left or right, this or that.

I'm sure it's rampant in Hollywood, due to the amount of power-brokering that goes on there, but it's prevalent in the Catholic Church, and among politicians.

So my guess as to "who else" is all of the above.

Casual observation though. Those who rail the loudest against homosexuality are typically the ones to be found preying on same-sex victims.

Doesn't matter what party, what religion. Wrong is wrong. Weinstein, Cosby, Hastert, or Jimmy Swaggert, they were all wrong...

Old 10-27-2017, 12:30 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
I think men and women abuse "power" in different ways.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
It's not always fear. Because many of these people are rich, powerful, and possibly nearly universally beloved, coming forward can be a career ending move. It's not out of indifference; it's about inability.

I saw a story (it was on Twitter, so take it for what it's worth) about a woman who was accused of not caring about women's issues for not specifically talking about the matter of sexual assault. She responded by telling a story about her sexual abuse from a Rabbi... a Rabbi who follows her on Twitter, who, despite some suspicion from other Rabbis, was ultimately protected by his peers. A Rabbi who's wife threatened the woman for attempting to come forward.

The thing that took Weinstein down was that sheer quantity of women who came forward (and some excellent journalism from the NYT and the New Yorker... remember that conservative trying to make this a "democrat problem;" if it weren't for the NYT, regularly called fake news, you probably wouldn't even be able to swing that at Democrats), Weinstein would probably still be respected. I believe a year or two ago, Meryl Streep said in an Oscar acceptation speech that she'd "like to thank God... Harvey Weinstein." And I don't say that to rip on Meryl Streep, but to point out how untouchable a guy like Weinstein realistically was.

I don't think anyone would disagree that there are more of them in Hollywood. But any high profile figure would be a behemoth to take down, and understandably, not many people want to risk ending their career.
How about they start naming some low level person? Once enough of them are outed, the culture would change.

I thought liberals care about the weak and the underaged. I said "liberals" because Hollywood is a infested with liberals.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:36 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:

I betcha that Ritchie Cunningham guy and his palsies Potsie and Ralph Malph are probably running a sex slave operation out of the back room of Al's Diner.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:45 PM

716 posts, read 393,524 times
Quote:
I think anybody with half a brain would know Harvey Weinstein cannot be the only one. It is the Hollywood culture that breeds people like Harvey Weinstein...
So this is the result of the 'Hollywood culture"?!? What a crock! This is a problem that harkens back to the caveman days that goes on in EVERY culture, in Every profession and in EVERY country.

It's the macho-man culture that breeds sexist men. It's conservatives who traditionally prefer to keep their women barefoot and pregnant. It's been liberals who welcome and promote the women's movement and a women's right to control her own body.

Just look at your sexist groper in the WH. Maybe this problem is actually caused by the "real-estate culture"...

Old 10-27-2017, 12:54 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
When men have power, there's a percentage who will attempt to abuse it. And that's not isolated to Hollywood. The Catholic Church ring a bell? The Tailhook scandal? The widespread abuse in the penal system? The Boy Scout "perversion files"?

Old 10-27-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
So this is the result of the 'Hollywood culture"?!? What a crock! This is a problem that harkens back to the caveman days that goes on in EVERY culture, in Every profession and in EVERY country.

It's the macho-man culture that breeds sexist men. It's conservatives who traditionally prefer to keep their women barefoot and pregnant. It's been liberals who welcome and promote the women's movement and a women's right to control her own body.

Just look at your sexist groper in the WH. Maybe this problem is actually caused by the "real-estate culture"...
OK. Fine.

Could we name more people please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies