Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:54 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,232,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Bob--

I have just started to learn about Tibet/China.

Some Afghani's? got out and moved to my area. Stories about the slaughter of family members and destruction of homes/culture concern me greatly.

FWIW--I am a female and while I can 'accept' that there will be wars and have always been wars, etc--it 'bothers' me.

I really believe that if China is sufficiently provoked it can bring about a type of 'Change' that I wouldn't like. Honestly hope I don't have to live that long.

<sigh>Generally after a remark like that someone has a pithy response.
Take

So your neighbors are saying the CHINESE slaughtered Afghan families?

I was in Kashgar several years ago very close to the Afghan border. The whole region is filled with Islamic Uighers. All that I heard about at that time was the kidnapping of some American tourists in Afghanistan and the blowing up of the giant cavings. No a word about Chinese killing Afghans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 07:15 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,539,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
The invasion was back in 1950 when the caste system was in full legal force. China was different then as was India. China needed the area strategically. Less so now.

I do not know all my Tibetan history, but I recall a Major Youngblood who fought for the British with India in an attempt to take over Tibet. I saw a movie there in Tibet were a *** went crazy and took out a bunch of Brit soldiers to save Tibet.

The Chinese were successful in their invasion and now India and the West are sore they didn't do it.

Like I said before, I am not big on kings. I spent a week at my BIL's house in the UK listening to how common people should know their place. Is that freedom? independence ? where you cannot work your way up? buy your way out? you are just stuck subjugated to a feudal lord.
Actually India's Constitution in 1950 outlawed the caste system. China was even worse then, under Mao.

I didn't say I support bringing back a theocracy or monarchy to Tibet. But my point was, the situation now is not good (throughout China actually but the subject is Tibet) and all the material goods won't make up for what they have and are experiencing under communist rule. The UK certainly isn't free these days, it's more like Orwell's 1984 in practice there and the people have been brainwashed to think it's all good, so I wouldn't use that as an example for how to run a country.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:35 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,514,009 times
Quote:
Take

So your neighbors are saying the CHINESE slaughtered Afghan families?

I was in Kashgar several years ago very close to the Afghan border. The whole region is filled with Islamic Uighers. All that I heard about at that time was the kidnapping of some American tourists in Afghanistan and the blowing up of the giant cavings. No a word about Chinese killing Afghans.
NO.

No one has said anything like that.

We probably shouldn't try to communicate. I should not post on threads unless I have expertise I have learned that.

I am thoroughly chastised.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
NO.

No one has said anything like that.

We probably shouldn't try to communicate. I should not post on threads unless I have expertise I have learned that.

I am thoroughly chastised.
Take

Your input is always welcome. This is all for civil discussion.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:10 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,514,009 times
I'll just lurk until I become more informed.

I managed to learn a bit about the Middle East so maybe I can learn about Asia. There are many things that I wish I did not know.

I don't hear much/nothing about this on the local news stations, nor much on cable news. 'Politics, rape, murder and celebrity news'--sick and tired of that.

later

Old 03-22-2008, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 939 times
Dear friends,

I have watched documentary show about Tibet from the DISCOVERY CHANNEL as well
as Taiwanese TV program. It is a beautiful country with rich culture, Kind
people with a extreme strong preaching of buddhia teaching. During the
important religious festival They would walk 3 steps & lay down with whole
body touching the floor praying toward the direction of their Buddha. They
would do it many miles from the hometown to their destination & some take 3
months to reach
their holy destination.

So I was shocked that the Tibetan people restored to voilent. Hurting innocent
people , damaging properties , setting fire on shop , car & school &
looting goods. I cant believe my eyes. I am really worry & do not know
whether their voilent will later turn them into extremist using guns &
bombs to hurt innocent people.

The kids also know that all monk have a buddha heart.I really do not know how to
expalin to the kids if they ask me why some Monks are throwing stones at
innocent people, damaging properties , setting fire on school ,shop & car.
Hope the tibetan monk know their "Monk" status & dont use voilent
to vent their anger to achieve their goal.

I have my great respect for Ghandi from India in using non-voilent to achieve
their goal to Independent from the British in 1947. It is good that the Dalai
Lama has made known that he is against voilent & hope to have a peaceful
talk with the Chinese leader to allow Tibet to have more say in their
homeland.

rdgs,
Victor

Old 03-23-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor70 View Post
Dear friends,

I have watched documentary show about Tibet from the DISCOVERY CHANNEL as well
as Taiwanese TV program. It is a beautiful country with rich culture, Kind
people with a extreme strong preaching of buddhia teaching. During the
important religious festival They would walk 3 steps & lay down with whole
body touching the floor praying toward the direction of their Buddha. They
would do it many miles from the hometown to their destination & some take 3
months to reach
their holy destination.

So I was shocked that the Tibetan people restored to voilent. Hurting innocent
people , damaging properties , setting fire on shop , car & school &
looting goods. I cant believe my eyes. I am really worry & do not know
whether their voilent will later turn them into extremist using guns &
bombs to hurt innocent people.

The kids also know that all monk have a buddha heart.I really do not know how to
expalin to the kids if they ask me why some Monks are throwing stones at
innocent people, damaging properties , setting fire on school ,shop & car.
Hope the tibetan monk know their "Monk" status & dont use voilent
to vent their anger to achieve their goal.

I have my great respect for Ghandi from India in using non-voilent to achieve
their goal to Independent from the British in 1947. It is good that the Dalai
Lama has made known that he is against voilent & hope to have a peaceful
talk with the Chinese leader to allow Tibet to have more say in their
homeland.

rdgs,
Victor
Victor

Discovery Channel would be picketed if they made a documentary casting any negative light on the Tibetan culture and their current "practice" of the great Buddhist teachings. I observed personally a whole different perspective while I was there. It is very PC to slam the Chinese and put Tibetans and the Dalai Lama on a pedestal.

Yes, the Tibetans are violent. Yes, they are looting and assaulting. Any effort to stop it seems to be subject to criticism by a bigoted World media. The Dalai Lama needs to come staraght out and tell the protesters to stop the violence completely (like Ghandi) instead of sitting around in the glow of media supported hysteria.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:57 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,892,192 times
Quote:
Victor

Discovery Channel would be picketed if they made a documentary casting any negative light on the Tibetan culture and their current "practice" of the great Buddhist teachings. I observed personally a whole different perspective while I was there. It is very PC to slam the Chinese and put Tibetans and the Dalai Lama on a pedestal.

Yes, the Tibetans are violent. Yes, they are looting and assaulting. Any effort to stop it seems to be subject to criticism by a bigoted World media. The Dalai Lama needs to come staraght out and tell the protesters to stop the violence completely (like Ghandi) instead of sitting around in the glow of media supported hysteria.
Lets see... The Chinese government is renowned for imprisoning and killing ANY citizen who speaks ill of their government. To compare the Tibetans and Chinese, its obvious who I rather believe. Their constant propaganda and corruption is world-famous and it is ignorant to ignore known facts and disregard the Chinese government's love for human rights violations. The Tibetans are being abused and that is without ANY doubts, should they sit back and accept their fate or rebel? Your looting and rioting scenario is short-sighted if you don't know the reasons behind it. In China it is illegal to make ANY political movie without praising a Communist regime in China... yeah, their government is great.. you better not say anything otherwise, or is re-education camp for you... but then you aren't living in China and don't have to submit to human rights violation under penalty of death and imprisonment..

Last edited by evilnewbie; 03-23-2008 at 10:07 AM..

Old 03-23-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Lets see... The Chinese government is renowned for imprisoning and killing ANY citizen who speaks ill of their government. To compare the Tibetans and Chinese, its obvious who I rather believe. Their constant propaganda and corruption is world-famous and it is ignorant to ignore known facts and disregard the Chinese government's love for human rights violations. The Tibetans being abused without ANY doubts, should they sit back and accept their fate or rebel? Your looting and rioting scenario is short-sighted if you don't know the reasons behind it. It is illegal to make ANY political movie without praising a Communist regime in China... yeah, their government is great.. you better say anything otherwise, or is re-education camp for you...
And you get your FACTS from....? Tibetan propagada....renowned... kill any who speak ill.. ignorant... any doubts. Listen to you. Who is sending who to re-education camp? You are!

Do a search in his forum for Tibet and you will see a bunch of planted posters. PC does not necessarily mean truthful.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:12 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,892,192 times
Quote:
And you get your FACTS from....? Tibetan propagada....renowned... kill any who speak ill.. ignorant... any doubts. Listen to you. Who is sending who to re-education camp? You are!

Do a search in his forum for Tibet and you will see a bunch of planted posters. PC does not necessarily mean truthful.
Of course, it is better to believe that the Chinese government is kind and helpful and thinking of bettering the lives of its people... I suppose the Chinese government doesn't have any reprisals against those who speak out against its government... any human rights in violation in China is all completely false... you heard here first people, Bob the Builder says China is peaceful as long as you don't want human rights... just accept your fate Tibetans, Bob the Builder doesn't think you should have any human rights. Any attempt to rebel by looting and rioting will be looked down upon because human rights are not inherent to you... just other people who enjoy its protection..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies