Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 12:23 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,696,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Then get your awesome red-states to stop leeching off Uncle Sam by taking a majority of the welfare money. STOP BEING POOR!!!!!! GO WORK!!! NO HANDOUTS!!!! That's the conservative way right?
They enjoy those $7.50 an hour jobs with no benefits and then can't figure out why they lead the nation in

divorce
violence
STD's
Infant Mortality
Adult Mortality

and many other metrics. They want to FIGHT for the RIGHT to have hard working moral Blue State Residents pay as much as possible of their bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 12:25 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,645,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
so you're argument is that a liberal poster pointing out red states take in most federal welfare dollars is that the red states are subsiding libs/blue states?
Toyman has no argument at all, he just like the idea of sticking it to someone not him.

The good news is this Tax bill is falling apart as we speak.

senate bill and looks like 2 versions of the house bill. the more they lie and try to pretend this is anything but a multi trillion tax break for the wealthy and corps the more they are being exposed as the liars and theives that they are.

just look at the GOP's partisan tax bill. It purposely targets the coastal "elites" so that the "trumpers" will accept such a rubbish deal...

They know trumpers would accept living in a muddy puddle if they thought they could hurt some coastals...

Of course if it goes through it would likely give the Left a bunch more seats in the house...

Old 11-09-2017, 12:42 PM

8,177 posts, read 3,696,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Only in liberal lala land is lowering the tax rates, doubling the standard deduction and reducing exemptions for businesses considered a "tax increase on the middle class". The significant difference seems to be eliminating state and local taxes as a deduction-which for the middle class is more than made up for by doubling of the std deduction.

Of course high-income people in high-tax states will actually have to pay their fair share in federal income tax, instead of being subsidised by those in lower-tax states. Poor babies!

Conveniently omitting the elimination of personal exemptions?

Let me help with the first grade math. Family with kids:

now: 12700+2 x 4050+kids x 4050 = 20800 + kids x 4050
proposed: 24000

Questions?

Old 11-09-2017, 12:48 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,983,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Conveniently omitting the elimination of personal exemptions?

Let me help with the first grade math. Family with kids:

now: 12700+2 x 4050+kids x 4050 = 20800 + kids x 4050
proposed: 24000

Questions?

It seems many people forget to mention the axing of the personal exemptions.
I am a conservative living in a blue state. This tax "cut" or whatever they are calling it is actually a proposed bill to further put the burden on middle class families living in blue coastal states.
Something like 50% of Americans pay no Federal Tax at all. Then we have the uber rich who use the loop holes designed for them so they pay the minimum.
Then there are the suckers. The middle class coastal blue state families making between 100-300 a year getting slammed and expected to support the country. Unreal.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:57 PM

8,177 posts, read 3,696,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I am a conservative living in a blue state. This tax "cut" or whatever they are calling it is actually a proposed bill to further put the burden on middle class families living in blue coastal states.
Something like 50% of Americans pay no Federal Tax at all. Then we have the uber rich who use the loop holes designed for them so they pay the minimum.
Then there are the suckers. The middle class coastal blue state families making between 100-300 a year getting slammed and expected to support the country. Unreal.

Well, I am in Texas which is perceived as a low tax state, but the money has to come from somewhere, so property taxes are huge (and rising very rapidly in recent years due to housing boom). So the middle class families here would not do good under this proposal either, imo.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:01 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,645,148 times
Quote:
i agree.

I tax plan, use every trick and pay a dude who has never failed to find new legal ways to reduce our taxes.

and still we pay far more than our share. To be honest i don't mind too much but the idea of targeting us even more is just wrong. and it will cost the Rs a whole bunch of marginal red seats and secure blue ones.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, I am in Texas which is perceived as a low tax state, but the money has to come from somewhere, so property taxes are huge (and rising very rapidly in recent years due to housing boom). So the middle class families here would not do good under this proposal either, imo.
Welcome to the "Club of Suckers" Texas middle class lol...
Losing, the property tax deduction is a big killer. Losing the state tax deduction hurts. Losing the personal exemptions is pretty huge... God forbid one day may family does well enough to move out of our 750,000 crappy "starter" home, we will be kicked out of the mortgage interest deduction as well. Again, unreal.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
i agree.

I tax plan, use every trick and pay a dude who has never failed to find new legal ways to reduce our taxes.

and still we pay far more than our share. To be honest i don't mind too much but the idea of targeting us even more is just wrong. and it will cost the Rs a whole bunch of marginal red seats and secure blue ones.
I agree with you. It seems this plan is a direct attack on the blue state middle class families that are already paying more than our fair share and more than anyone else! As a conservative, if these idiots (I believe all politicians are jerks lol) pass this thing, I hope they lose seats. They deserve to. Not that I feel the democrats give a crap about us either. They seem to cater to the rich and the super poor.
It seems both sides kick us "upper" (because where we live) middle class in the stomach whenever they can.

AND to be honest, a big bulk of my property tax goes to school tax. I am happy to pay that as my kids get to go to an excellent public school that rivals any private school. So that is my choice.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:12 PM

1,400 posts, read 865,463 times
Quote:
Actually, the standard deduction doubling does not help MOST middle class people. MOST middle class people have student loans interest they deduct, property taxes they deduct and mortgage interest they deduct. If they take the standard and do not itemize they will be worse off.

Also, please with the "fair share" to the federal government. I live in a blue state. My family pays our fair share for sure, even with those deductions (we do not qualify for student loan deductions but all the rest I mentioned) we still pay more than probably 90% of Americans in taxes. Middle class in blue states are equivalent to the wealthy in red states apparently. Last I looked Blue states contributed more to the federal government than the red states do so I have no idea what you are rambling about on this one.
I think it's only around 30% of households that currently itemize, so I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to suggest that most middle class families itemize their deductions. I think everyone should have to use the same standard deduction, but if they are going to allow people to itemize then they should cap it to around 30k total. Allowing people to deduct mortgage interest is totally absurd in my opinion. It would make more sense to allow people to deduct their grocery and utilities expenses.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:17 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,462,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I think it's only around 30% of households that currently itemize, so I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to suggest that most middle class families itemize their deductions. I think everyone should have to use the same standard deduction, but if they are going to allow people to itemize then they should cap it to around 30k total. Allowing people to deduct mortgage interest is totally absurd in my opinion. It would make more sense to allow people to deduct their grocery and utilities expenses.
taking away personal exemptions will hurt families regardless if they itemize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies