Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 11:33 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
So, where are the tax breaks for the "mega wealthy?"
Bingo.

What he claims is mathematically impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 11:34 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,195,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
SCREWED!

This won't help me in anyway, and they are trying to penalize citizens in high tax and property states as if we don't give enough to the rest of the country as is.
Maybe you should elect locals who want to lower your taxes. Currently the federal government subsidizes high taxed states. Sounds like Obamacare's subsidies giveaway to rich insurance companies

Old 11-02-2017, 11:35 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
More ad hominem fallacy.
  • You said Trillions for the Rich.
  • Yet entire tax revenue for the USA is just 3.2 Trillion
It's mathematically impossible. Didn't you claim to be a tax expert? Never seen a tax expert who can't correctly explain fiduciary responsibility nor do simple math.

as i already asked you, can you try to stay on topic instead of making up nonsense. If you can't figure out how the trillions is figured out, i suggest you go somewhere and ask. There is no point me explaining it to you, because you will just act out.

1,721 posts, read 1,149,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Butting in here, my husband just sent me last years return and we had $62,000 in deductions last year (which I believe includes 401K contributions, it must). Between property taxes over 20,000, state income tax, mortgage interest (around 20 grand) it was pretty easy to get up there in deductions. Not anymore, much to my dismay.
unfortunately those in low cost states don't understand the struggle. Low cost states, mostly republican therefore they don't care about those in states where buying a home for a million is the norm.

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
This bill is a catastrophe and will hurt most of the country. But Republican voters will cheer as they lose thousands more in their bank accounts, while the top 1% get millions.
Yes, yes, yes ...that's because it is a Republican bill. But you won't say the same about Obamacare.

How are the top 1% getting millions? Explain.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:37 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
For those saying this is NOT a massive give away to the wealthy..
From the Center on Budget and policy Priorities
leans left highly factual.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-c...cy-priorities/
looks like trump just gave himself a big fat tax break...
Dear

This was about a proposal from September.

You really ought to read these things before you post them. You keep making that mistake.

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Not gonna lie....this tax plan is much better for me and my husband, especially since we're planning on leaving California soon.

But I can see how it'd be bad for people in different circumstances.

1,970 posts, read 2,237,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
This will result for a very large tax increase for people who make over 100K or so. Should this go through, my taxes will jump by 30%. I am probably upper middle class with just the usual deductions.
Not all people in the 100,000 - 500,000 "upper middle class" bracket will get shafted, only those with large deductions under the previous tax code. My taxes will probably go down a touch, as I rent (by choice) my primary residence. I do own housing, but under Schedule E (not affected by these changes).

This will mostly impact the coastal elites with overpriced housing and enormous local tax bills or expensive college student loans. Red state families get a nice tax cut.

I like that we are simplifying the code -- getting rid of many loopholes. Also like that the corporate tax rate is coming back to earth (should see lots of dividends in the next few years).

Things I would change: with the sunset to the estate tax, then I think the step-up-basis also must go. I also think the top bracket should be a round 40% rather than 39.6, and should kick in lower than one million, maybe 700,000 or so.

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
For those saying this is NOT a massive give away to the wealthy..

From the Center on Budget and policy Priorities

leans left highly factual.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-c...cy-priorities/

looks like trump just gave himself a big fat tax break...
How is it a "give away" when it's their own money to begin with? Now, if Fed Gov were actually cutting them a check from the US Treasury, THAT would be a "give away." That's not what's happening at all.

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
This is good.

Ending deductions, especially when it comes to local and state taxes, is a major step to a simplified tax code as well as, hopefully, a smaller federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies