Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 04:15 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,460,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Just because you are struggling financially doesn't mean everyone else is.
You live in a high cost city and state.
The way to change that is move, like so many others did from high tax states to low tax states.

And that has zero to do with the Fed tax changes proposed.
too bad Wall Street and Silicon Valley are what pretty much keeps our economy growing thus real estate is high. People there also pay for their state to provide a number of services (you know you guys used to love the whole states rights/states do it better line). Appreciate you guessing my financial situation, however doing just fine, esp for my age. What I object to is double taxation to subsidize states like KY, MS, and LA who feed at the trough of federal tax dollars provided by states like NY, NJ, CT, and CA. You guys are against double taxation for the estate tax, but not for SALT, wonder why??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 04:16 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
You're right that the new plan would probably be more beneficial. The child tax credit is going up from $1000 to $1600, plus there is a $300 credit per taxpayer and non-child dependent. So it's even better than that!
It should! that thing hasn't been raised since our kids qualified.

Edit: I didn't look as far as the credit. That puts our savings up to about 4600 year.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:17 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Salt is capped at 10k in this proposal. A good thing. First, because our system is riddled with deduction this, credit for that and so forth. This applies to individuals, married, married with children, various flavors of corporations, partnerships, etc. SECOND, the limiting of Salt deductibility shines a bright light on excessive state and local taxes. If the citizenry will pay more attention to the government units closest to them. Hopefully bringing pressure on SAL governments to rein in spending. A good thing.
Chuck Schumer came out screaming about it right away... of course he's a New York politician.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...democrats.html

Old 11-02-2017, 04:18 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
You do understand that the house bill eliminates personal exemptions, right? It doesn’t matter who’s reporting it. That would wash away the benefits of a higher standard deduction.
So no change. You just said it yourself.

It certainly does matter who reports it.

Can't believe that anyone would pay mind to CNN these days.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:18 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Rich liberals reduce their taxes by alot of money using their ability to write of state and local taxes (real estate taxes). Does that benefit you or them?

Sen. Schumer said: “Well, but he also takes away things like the mortgage interest deduction, the local — state and local property …”

Chris Wallace: “No, no, no, that’s not true. He doesn’t take away the mortgage. No, he does not take away the mortgage interest deduction.”

Schumer: “You cannot do it without the standard deduction. He takes away state and local, as well, and middle-class people get far less of a benefit, many of them were hurt. One estimate said that millions would pay more, and the rich do extremely well.” (Schumer admitting the middle class was hurt by Obama's tax increase)

Old 11-02-2017, 04:19 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times
Incorrect. The subsidy that is SALT, means the majority of the states’ citizen pay proportionally more in federal taxes. There are only 12 or so high SALTs, which means 38 or so do not get the ‘advantage’ of deductibility.

What is ironic is that the government units closest to every citizen, the SAL unit, is getting a pass on oversight, questioning, even opposition to high SALT. This is where your focus rightly belongs. Not toward those who propose a reduction in your drug of choice, the deductibility of SALT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
High tax states support the majority of this country

the irony.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:19 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,075,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
too bad Wall Street and Silicon Valley are what pretty much keeps our economy growing thus real estate is high. People there also pay for their state to provide a number of services (you know you guys used to love the whole states rights/states do it better line). Appreciate you guessing my financial situation, however doing just fine, esp for my age. What I object to is double taxation to subsidize states like KY, MS, and LA who feed at the trough of federal tax dollars provided by states like NY, NJ, CT, and CA. You guys are against double taxation for the estate tax, but not for SALT, wonder why??
I'm in Texas..no city or state tax.

If you are going to be double taxed then maybe it's time to get your city/state to lower their taxes.
Some states have tax rates that are outrageous.

My brother just left LI and moved to Delaware because of the tax situation.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So no change. You just said it yourself.

It certainly does matter who reports it.

Can't believe that anyone would pay mind to CNN these days.
no- it actually ends up less for a married family with two kids...you know the backbone of our nation....

Old 11-02-2017, 04:21 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Rich liberals reduce their taxes by alot of money using their ability to write of state and local taxes (real estate taxes). Does that benefit you or them?

Sen. Schumer said: “Well, but he also takes away things like the mortgage interest deduction, the local — state and local property …”

Chris Wallace: “No, no, no, that’s not true. He doesn’t take away the mortgage. No, he does not take away the mortgage interest deduction.”

Schumer: “You cannot do it without the standard deduction. He takes away state and local, as well, and middle-class people get far less of a benefit, many of them were hurt. One estimate said that millions would pay more, and the rich do extremely well.” (Schumer admitting the middle class was hurt by Obama's tax increase)

Does your definition of rich change when it's a liberal your talking about?

Old 11-02-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
I'm in Texas..no city or state tax.

If you are going to be double taxed then maybe it's time to get your city/state to lower their taxes.
Some states have tax rates that are outrageous.

My brother just left LI and moved to Delaware because of the tax situation.
so basically a nice anecdotal bit of nothing and totally ignored my larger point. Sounds about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies