Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 03:29 PM

6,674 posts, read 4,303,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I would end up in the 25% bracket since I'm not legally married yet (only engaged, still counts as single for tax
purposes) 😟
Time to elope.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 03:29 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,078,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You previously got a tax deduction for 'state sales tax' because your state doesn't have an income tax.

You lost that deduction. If you recalculate your savings, it might be $1000 instead of $1600 since you lost the state sales tax deduction.

You think things are "more balanced and fair now" because people with kids are getting their income taxes raised? Think again - the billionaires are getting massive tax breaks and it's nothing compared to what you are getting. Their breaks are so huge that there's no way to pay for them. So the country will go deeper and deeper in debt each year so the corporations and billionaires get massive tax breaks.
Looks to me like the middle class won't make out so bad.
Cap of $10K on state/local/property tax deductions so the wealthy in their high priced homes will be paying more in Fed taxes.

Limitation to 1 single home for the cap gains tax exclusion and they lengthened the amount of time between sales. Middle class folks don't typically buy and sell RE that often so it affects the wealthy more.

I don't think the CBO has weighed in on this yet.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:31 PM

42,885 posts, read 26,485,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The Republican Tax Reform Bill introduced today - will reduce Taxes even more for the Middle Class AND it will increase Jobs by allowing Businesses to come back to America with a more fair tax structure instead of Leaving the USA because of the 2nd Highest Tax Rates in the developed World.
So silly...corporations are flush with cash they aren't going to expand or hire people unless there is demand and there is virtually nothing in this that will put enough money in the pockets of wage earners to stimulate demand.

The cut in repatriation tax, that's been tried before, Congress in 2004 approved a repatriation tax holiday that brought back $312 billion in overseas profits. Most of the money was used not for economic growth but to give cash back to shareholders. There is nothing new and clever about this plan that should give anyone hope that it will be different this time.

"While empirical evidence is clear that this provision resulted in a significant increase in repatriated earnings, empirical evidence is unable to show a corresponding increase in domestic investment or employment," the Congressional Research Service, Congress' nonpartisan think tank, said in a report. The think tank cited a series of reports into the benefits of repatriation, with a common theme that the 2004 program was "an ineffective means of increasing economic growth."
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/31/trum...was-tried.html

Old 11-02-2017, 03:31 PM

13,722 posts, read 9,059,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You brought up Fica taxes. Is FICA taxes in the tax proposal? If not, then it's not part of the conversation.
I don't believe I did. I am discussing Mr. Trump's campaign promise concerning changing how the profits of hedge fund managers would be taxed.

Here is an article dating from August 2015 concerning Mr. Trump's stance on this issue:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...0QS0P120150823

From the article:

"Trump’s comments were referring to the so-called “carried interest loophole” - a provision in the tax code which allows private equity and hedge fund managers pay taxes at the capital gains rate instead of the ordinary income rate.

Many fund managers are in the top income bracket, but the capital gains tax bracket is only 20 percent.

While these individuals are also required to pay an additional 3.8 percent surtax on their net investment income, this total rate is still far lower than the 39.6 percent rate that top wage earners must pay on their ordinary income."

It was actually a very popular position for Mr. Trump to take. I wondered whether this tax reform bill addresses the issue.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,267,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Exactly.....however, some people around these parts seem to think that their "opinion" on something makes it factual.

Same with people believing 250k can be middle class. It isn't. Earning 250k, and being the mid earners in an upper class neighborhood doesn't make you middle class. It makes you mid upper class.
Agreed, it makes one wealthy, living above their means, not necessarily their fault because to make those wages to begin with you have to live in those areas.

They are still wealthy,

Old 11-02-2017, 03:32 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,821,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Exactly.....however, some people around these parts seem to think that their "opinion" on something makes it factual.

Same with people believing 250k can be middle class. It isn't. Earning 250k, and being the mid earners in an upper class neighborhood doesn't make you middle class. It makes you mid upper class.
It's considered upper middle class, but Obama and Democrats called people making that "income" rich. And people who are ignorant about money and taxation easily bought his lie.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:35 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,821,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Looks to me like the middle class won't make out so bad.
Cap of $10K on state/local/property tax deductions so the wealthy in their high priced homes will be paying more in Fed taxes.

Limitation to 1 single home for the cap gains tax exclusion and they lengthened the amount of time between sales. Middle class folks don't typically buy and sell RE that often so it affects the wealthy more.

I don't think the CBO has weighed in on this yet.
So SALT taxes can be deducted up to $10K?
Do you have a link? Nevermind, found an article about the cap. Wow, this really is a tax break for the middle class.

The much-anticipated House Republican tax reform bill unveiled Thursday permits taxpayers to write off up to $10,000 in state and local property taxes, easing many Garden State observer’s fears over the elimination of so-called SALT deductions.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/02/hous...form-plan.html

https://savejersey.com/2017/11/macar...on-house-bill/

Old 11-02-2017, 03:36 PM

39,131 posts, read 51,432,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I don't believe I did. I am discussing Mr. Trump's campaign promise concerning changing how the profits of hedge fund managers would be taxed.

Here is an article dating from August 2015 concerning Mr. Trump's stance on this issue:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...0QS0P120150823

From the article:

"Trump’s comments were referring to the so-called “carried interest loophole” - a provision in the tax code which allows private equity and hedge fund managers pay taxes at the capital gains rate instead of the ordinary income rate.

Many fund managers are in the top income bracket, but the capital gains tax bracket is only 20 percent.

While these individuals are also required to pay an additional 3.8 percent surtax on their net investment income, this total rate is still far lower than the 39.6 percent rate that top wage earners must pay on their ordinary income."

It was actually a very popular position for Mr. Trump to take. I wondered whether this tax reform bill addresses the issue.
In WaPo's analysis, they state that the law makes no changes in carried interest provisions. They mention that real estate developers also use this loophole as well as Wall Street tycoons. Surprise!

Old 11-02-2017, 03:37 PM

42,885 posts, read 26,485,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Govt will always try to take more money from the citizens. Democrats are the worst. They never met a tax they don't like. They even tried taxing soft drinks. Never cheer or support politicians going after someone else because eventually it will come to hit you. When they say "raise taxes on the rich" do you not realize the rich are very tax proficient and know how to reduce their taxable income. It's the middle class that can't and they end up right in the bulls eye of the tax increase. In this case, people were so angry they fought back and now something has to be done to reduce the tax burden on the people Obama nailed.
I'm 71 years old and I can't recall a single time that Republicans lowered my taxes...

Old 11-02-2017, 03:37 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,932,150 times
The Republicans control both hoses of Congress and the Presidency. They propose a tax increase on workers and small businessmen while cutting billions from the taxes on the top 0.1%. Why is this a surprise? This is what the Republican party does and always has done since about 1900.

My suggestion to people that find their taxes going up should simply vote for your local, state and national Democratic Candidates in the next and all the rest of the elections. At least the Democrats try to take care of the people that still have to work for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies