Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 07:15 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,187 posts, read 13,477,157 times

Advertisements

It's been on the cards for a while, with poor vetting of drivers, drivers working longer hours than legal limits, not reporting sexual assaults and numerous other problems.

Transport for London (TfL have now concluded the ride-hailing app firm is not fit and proper to hold a London private hire operator licence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC

Throughout its short, tempestuous life, Uber has clashed with regulators around the world - and more often than not it has come out on top.

Its tactic has often been to arrive in a city, break a few rules, and then apologise when it's rapped over the knuckles. Some regulators have backed down, others have run the company out of town.

In London, despite protests from angry taxi drivers, the company has had a relatively easy ride until now.

But a wave of bad publicity about its corporate culture, its lax attitude to checks on its drivers and its treatment of this freelance army seems to have spurred TfL into action.

Make no mistake, Uber will use every legal avenue to fight this ban. It will argue that consumers, in the shape of the millions of mainly young Londoners who rely on its service, will be seriously let down if it can no longer operate.

But the courts will have to balance that with the serious concerns about public safety raised by Transport for London (TfL).

Uber London loses licence to operate - BBC News

Uber stripped of London licence due to lack of corporate responsibility - Guardian

Uber failing to report sex attacks by drivers, says Met police - Guardian

Uber drivers accused of 32 rapes and sex attacks on London passengers over the past year | The Independent

Fears over ‘excessive and unsafe’ 65-hour weeks for Uber cab drivers - Telegraph

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-22-2017 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 07:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
I'm not quite grasping why it's a governments problem if I want to take the guy down the street across town and he pays me for that.

I'm not sure why it's the governments problem if it takes me all day driving him around.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:27 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
This is outrageous !!!
How is any respectable terrorist supposed to get around London planting bombs on the cheep ?

Old 09-22-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not quite grasping why it's a governments problem if I want to take the guy down the street across town and he pays me for that.

I'm not sure why it's the governments problem if it takes me all day driving him around.
It's down to the Mayors Office and Transport for London (TfL) rather than the Central Government, it's local authorities, councils and Mayors offices who licence taxi companies so they can legally operate. They do so using evidence provided to them from the police and transport authorities.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:31 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Yeah if service is that poor and the company disreputable, the consumers will put them out. Smells like the cabbies paid off the right politicians to have their market protected.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:35 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah if service is that poor and the company disreputable, the consumers will put them out. Smells like the cabbies paid off the right politicians to have their market protected.

That was my thought as well. I have a call later today with my partners in London, so I will ask them. I use Uber a lot there and elsewhere.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's down to the Mayors Office and Transport for London (TfL) rather than the Central Government, it's local authorities, councils and Mayors offices who licence taxi companies so they can legally operate. They do so using evidence provided to them from the police and transport authorities.
Why do I need a license to drive the people in my neighborhood around?

Old 09-22-2017, 07:38 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Ive never quite understood why Uber was so popular, it seems to me, this service was already here, in the form of cab companies, seems like they are just re-inventing the wheel to some degree, and if a cab company wanted more business, whats stopping the drivers from just becoming Uber drivers themselves?

I just heard recently Uber started delivering things like fast food to people, but again, many cab companies have already been doing this for years, maybe people just didnt know they would, IDK?

Old 09-22-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why do I need a license to drive the people in my neighborhood around?
Taxis are licenced and regulated in cities across the world, it's not unique to London ny any means.

Uber has a tendency to ignore regulators and I think in this case Transport for London and the Police just had enough.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:42 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
"Uber loses licence to operate in London"

We use Uber quite a bit, never had a problem. Actually, I can't imagine life without it now. Too bad London had issues with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies