Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:26 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Violent crime rates are DOWN from 20 years ago. And in the last 20 years, concealed carry laws have expanded greatly across this nation, while gun sales have increased. This in spite of a catch and release criminal justice system.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Violent crime rates are DOWN from 20 years ago. And in the last 20 years, concealed carry laws have expanded greatly across this nation, while gun sales have increased. This in spite of a catch and release criminal justice system.
There are many interesting theories to explain why violent crime has seen a dramatic drop. The increase in gun ownership theory does not hold water since some cities with strict gun laws have seen the most dramatic drops. For example NYC gun homicide rate is half on that in Dallas and Houston. IMO the reason for the drop is neither the increase in guns, nor gun control. Did poor people 20 years ago have less unwanted babies than 40 years ago? Are economic conditions better? Are millennials committing less crimes as boomers and gen-x at that age? If yes, then what is different with millennials? They are at prime crime committing age, so why aren't they doing it?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-08-2017 at 07:51 AM..

Old 11-08-2017, 07:51 AM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There are many interesting theories to explain why violent crime has seen a dramatic drop. The increase in gun ownership theory does not hold water since some cities with strict gun laws have seen the most dramatic drops. For example NYC gun homicide rate is half on that in Dallas and Houston. IMO the reason for the drop is neither the increase in guns, nor gun control. Did poor people 20 years ago have less unwanted babies than 40 years ago? Are economic conditions better? Are millennials committing less crimes as boomers and gen-x at that age? If yes, then what is different in millennials? They are at prime crime committing age, so why aren't they doing it?
Why is there so much more gun violence in cities than in rural areas? I live in Missouri. Most people in rural areas own guns but gun violence is rare. For example, there has been one gun homicide in my county in the last 7 years and it was over a drug deal gone bad. Yet In the major cities, KC, Springfield and St Louis, gun homicides number in the hundreds every year. I think it is the culture of gun violence that perpetuates itself. Find a way to stop the culture, stop the shootings.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Why is there so much more gun violence in cities than in rural areas? I live in Missouri. Most people in rural areas own guns but gun violence is rare. For example, there has been one gun homicide in my county in the last 7 years and it was over a drug deal gone bad. Yet In the major cities, KC, Springfield and St Louis, gun homicides number in the hundreds every year. I think it is the culture of gun violence that perpetuates itself. Find a way to stop the culture, stop the shootings.
The answer is obvious. There are more people in cities, and typically more gang activity, more drugs etc. A large portion of gun crime is related to gang activity.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:26 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I know what it was, and what it wasn't, but thanks for posting.
From reading your posts, you obviously do not know. Either that or you are being disingenuous in your descriptions.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
From reading your posts, you obviously do not know. Either that or you are being disingenuous in your descriptions.
How so?

Quote:
Finn_Jarber: There was a ban, with text that described the features which made the rifles illegal to sell. Like I have already mentioned several times, people found ways to modify the rifles in such way that they no longer met the criteria, and therefore were legal.
That happens to be a fact. Just because you can't accept being wrong, doesn't mean I was being dishonest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies