Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2017, 09:18 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Harvey Weinstein, Louis C.K., Roy Moore, Steven Seagal, Brett Ratner, Kevin Spacey (link to article), the beat goes on. Before that there was Bill Cosby and Rolf Harris. See also David Blaine Accused of Rape. My take on these allegations is a little different. Everyone knew that these people in Hollywood or for that matter on Capitol Hill were no saints. Back in 1974 we thrilled to Wilbur Mills and Fanne Fox | The Big Picture | Arkansas news.

Any adult with an ounce of sense knows never to be alone with strangers. Meetings should be in public places and/or with other people present. Suddenly we're hearing all kinds of allegations of "abuse," some dating back to the year of Reagan's inauguration. One wonders whether people suddenly feel a sense of grievance about ancient events. Or perhaps some of it is greed; or to get their "five minutes of fame."

I do not condone pedophilia. Thus Hastert and the Penn State coach, whose name escapes me, are different. All that I am asking is how real this abuse really was. Did people at the time relish their moment in the sun with very wealthy and famous people and come to regret it? I don't think these kinds of events are new.
The abuse is very real and not just in Hollywood. It happens in all industries. How was this a moment in the sun for them. We are talking young naive girls and boys who had no idea how to react.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:19 PM

10,534 posts, read 6,169,672 times
A similar snowball effect is happening to what happened in Britain about 6 years ago.

A nationally known children's 'celebrity', Jimmy Savile died, and after he died, a ton of women came forward to say they had been molested by him when they were kids. Apparently it was WIDELY known what he was getting up to but he got away with it all those years because he raised millions every year for children's charities and hospitals. The BBC was widely blamed for being aware of it but not doing anything about it.

After that there was an avalanche of accusations levelled at other TV and radio presenters and comedians and the like from women who said they had been sexually abused by these people. There were some surprises and some people the public wouldn't have been the least bit surprised about.
An enquiry was opened to investigate all the allegations named 'operation Yewtree'.
Many men were investigated and tried and sent to jail, many others were declared not guilty.

You can read about it the whole thing here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Yewtree

Old 11-11-2017, 09:30 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I just read the accusers description of her conversation with Moore. Much too detailed. Tell me, do you remember a conversation word for word to anyone forty years ago.? This girl gives word for word the conversation. Too detailed. Not credible. Do you remember details so complex from 40 years ago? I don't.

Yes, I do when it's something that dramatically affects you. You don't forget something like that.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:32 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,835,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Yes, I do when it's something that dramatically affects you. You don't forget something like that.
Half the people asking insistently for details, then when they get details they say its too detailed. lmao sophistry at its slimiest

Old 11-11-2017, 09:38 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,081 times
Quote:
Harvey Weinstein, Louis C.K., Roy Moore, Steven Seagal, Brett Ratner, Kevin Spacey (link to article), the beat goes on. Before that there was Bill Cosby and Rolf Harris. See also David Blaine Accused of Rape. My take on these allegations is a little different. Everyone knew that these people in Hollywood or for that matter on Capitol Hill were no saints. Back in 1974 we thrilled to Wilbur Mills and Fanne Fox | The Big Picture | Arkansas news.

Any adult with an ounce of sense knows never to be alone with strangers. Meetings should be in public places and/or with other people present. Suddenly we're hearing all kinds of allegations of "abuse," some dating back to the year of Reagan's inauguration. One wonders whether people suddenly feel a sense of grievance about ancient events. Or perhaps some of it is greed; or to get their "five minutes of fame."

I do not condone pedophilia. Thus Hastert and the Penn State coach, whose name escapes me, are different. All that I am asking is how real this abuse really was. Did people at the time relish their moment in the sun with very wealthy and famous people and come to regret it? I don't think these kinds of events are new.
This has probably been going on for a long time. We don't hear about it because it's difficult for people to speak out about this sort of thing. It's a great time we live in now, where these bastards are finally being flushed out into the open.

"Five minutes of fame" huh? Name one rape-accuser who got famous. Name one person who accused a celebrity of sexual misconduct and reaped any sort of benefit from it.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:50 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
The 'why' is that victims feel confident to express their anger. Until recently to suffer this treatment was shameful and some were of the opinion that the victim was to blame, not unlike rape in years gone by.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:53 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
And their buddy, Donald Trump. The skater. Because he sure isn't presidential.
Despite the fact that you hate Trump not all threads are about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I think you're forgetting that there's only one Hollywood, there's only X number of broadcast networks or sports teams, etc. It's easy to say "I would never be alone in a room" if you're a nurse, teacher, tech person, etc bc you have options. If the Chicago people are shady, move to Milwaukee. It's not like that in specialized industries.
What do you mean? You always have the option of having a meeting in a public place, not alone in someone's room. It all starts with your mother telling you "don't talk to strangers."

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The abuse is very real and not just in Hollywood. It happens in all industries. How was this a moment in the sun for them. We are talking young naive girls and boys who had no idea how to react.
When they were "molested" they may have been starstruck. They may have "decided" they were abused after listening to the drumbeat of news.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:57 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,081 times
Quote:
Despite the fact that you hate Trump not all threads are about him.

What do you mean? You always have the option of having a meeting in a public place, not alone in someone's room. It all starts with your mother telling you "don't talk to strangers."

When they were "molested" they may have been starstruck. They may have "decided" they were abused after listening to the drumbeat of news.
Victim blaming, how nice. People like you are the reason women are afraid to come out against the perpetrators in the first place.

4,765 posts, read 3,733,913 times
Given that the sex drive is the strongest human force short of hunger, it is pretty amazing there are skeptics! Funny thing is that conservatives believe the accusations about liberals and ignore the accusations about conservatives. Maybe because Fox News state run media only finds George Takei newsworthy and not Roy Moore.

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I just read the accusers description of her conversation with Moore. Much too detailed. Tell me, do you remember a conversation word for word to anyone forty years ago.? This girl gives word for word the conversation. Too detailed. Not credible. Do you remember details so complex from 40 years ago? I don't.
I remember what my brother's best friend did to me 59 years ago, it's seared into my memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies