Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 02:22 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,608,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
General store owner unleashes a hail of gunfire on three would-be robbers who try to hold him up
Louisiana store owner shoots at would-be robbers in video | Daily Mail Online

Father grabs his gun and chases gang who tried to abduct his daughter, 17, before cops stop the fleeing kidnappers on the highway and find guns, a knife and roll of tape inside their vehicle
Florida dad foils kidnapping of his daughter | Daily Mail Online

When seconds count, the Police are minutes away!
Yea, let's just forget all about how this moron in the first video was just shooting willy nilly all around the store, which still had customers in it BTW, and also seems to be shooting out the door.

Do you people really not see a problem here? He may have shot the robbers, but he could have killed innocent civilians as well, including the two customers clearly still standing right near where he was shooting. This wasn't self defense, it was trying to shoot the guys who robbed him without any regard to other people nearby.

NOTE: Read this before freaking out conservatives..... I have no problem with gun ownership or using one in self defense, or in an attempt to say, save your daughter from someone trying to abduct her, but the store owner could have caused all sorts of havoc. If he is what you people mean by "good guy with a gun", we can do without them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 02:32 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Yea, let's just forget all about how this moron in the first video was just shooting willy nilly all around the store, which still had customers in it BTW, and also seems to be shooting out the door.

Do you people really not see a problem here? He may have shot the robbers, but he could have killed innocent civilians as well, including the two customers clearly still standing right near where he was shooting. This wasn't self defense, it was trying to shoot the guys who robbed him without any regard to other people nearby.

NOTE: Read this before freaking out conservatives..... I have no problem with gun ownership or using one in self defense, or in an attempt to say, save your daughter from someone trying to abduct her, but the store owner could have caused all sorts of havoc. If he is what you people mean by "good guy with a gun", we can do without them.
To the bolded: The store owner didn't shoot innocent civilians. He hit two of the three robbers with his bullets. Good shooting in such a horrible situation. As a victim of a threatening situation, I froze when an attacker held a knife next to my body. The owner of the store did much better than I did!

The robbers could have shot the innocent civilians and the owner dead with their gun to cover up their robbery. Does that concern you?

As to your NOTE that you "have no problem with gun ownership"? BS. A total gun ban is any Progressive's goal.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 11-10-2017 at 02:46 PM..

Old 11-10-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
To the bolded: The store owner didn't shoot innocent civilians. He hit two of the three robbers with his bullets. Good shooting in such a horrible situation. As a victim in a scary situation, I froze when an attacker held a knife next to my body. The owner of the store did much better than I did!
He didn't this time. You seem to miss the point. If I walk into a crowded restaurant and take 10 shots, missing everyone inside, then I either purposely missed, or it was luck. In the store owner/clerk/whatever situation, it was clearly luck. I mean, you do realize that bullets go through things, right? There could have been people in the parking lot, street, or nearby building struck. It isn't just about "getting the bad guys".

Quote:
The robbers could have shot the innocent civilians and the owner dead with their gun to cover up their robbery. Does that concern you?
Yes, it does. Brandishing the weapon or firing one shot would have done the same thing as shooting all over the store though.

Quote:
As to your NOTE that you "have no problem with gun ownership"? BS. A total gun ban is any Progressive's goal.
You are either VERY naïve, straight up lying to yourself, or not very bright. If you truly believe the lines above, you should really seek help, because you are living in fantasy land.

I may be a liberal, but I have no issues with gun ownership. I own one myself. A nice little .22 with a concealed carry permit to be exact. My family is filled with responsible gun owners as well.

So, class, what have we learned? That painting with as broad a brush as "texan2yankee" does is ignorant, and shows you know nothing about a topic.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:02 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
[snip]I may be a liberal, but I have no issues with gun ownership. I own one myself. A nice little .22 with a concealed carry permit to be exact. My family is filled with responsible gun owners as well.[snip]
I don't believe you. While I take most posters' statements as true, your post rings false.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:41 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times
Quote:

LOL you base on what Could happen?

I could buy kitty litter if I had a cat.
I could get run over by a snowbird in Cadillac when I'm on my harley...

Could isn't relative. What happened happened and that's what counts, not what could have

Old 11-10-2017, 03:44 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
How is someone using a gun on their property to defend their daughter controversial or political??????
How?
This is how.

Quote:

Feeble emotional drivel. Or liberal for short.
That's how it gets political or controversial.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I don't believe you. While I take most posters' statements as true, your post rings false.
Well, that is what Trump voters do, so I am not surprised. Fingers in ears, yelling "lalalalalalalalalalala" if you hear something you don't want to. It is childish and stupid.

You are free to believe whatever you want, just as I am free to call you out on being childish and ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
LOL you base on what Could happen?

I could buy kitty litter if I had a cat.
I could get run over by a snowbird in Cadillac when I'm on my harley...

Could isn't relative. What happened happened and that's what counts, not what could have
Yes, we all base thing off of "could". You "could" drive around without a seatbelt on, but you don't, because you "could" get in a wreck. This is no different. If you think shooting bullets all over a store at fleeing robbers is a good thing, then you are sitting very low on the IQ totem pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
How?
This is how.

Feeble emotional drivel. Or liberal for short.
That's how it gets political or controversial.
Oh yes, it is SOOOOO much emotional drivel to expect someone not to put innocent people in danger. SOOOOO stupid to expect someone to use their deadly weapon in a manner that doesn't put people in mortal danger. I see what you mean....

Old 11-10-2017, 07:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
How is someone using a gun on their property to defend their daughter controversial or political??????
because there are gun grabbers on this board that truly think that only the government should have guns. and there are those that would say that even if you have a gun for self defense, you shuoldnt use it cause you might hurt someone, including the criminal.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:31 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
He didn't this time. You seem to miss the point. If I walk into a crowded restaurant and take 10 shots, missing everyone inside, then I either purposely missed, or it was luck. In the store owner/clerk/whatever situation, it was clearly luck. I mean, you do realize that bullets go through things, right? There could have been people in the parking lot, street, or nearby building struck. It isn't just about "getting the bad guys".

Yes, it does. Brandishing the weapon or firing one shot would have done the same thing as shooting all over the store though.

You are either VERY naïve, straight up lying to yourself, or not very bright. If you truly believe the lines above, you should really seek help, because you are living in fantasy land.

I may be a liberal, but I have no issues with gun ownership. I own one myself. A nice little .22 with a concealed carry permit to be exact. My family is filled with responsible gun owners as well.

So, class, what have we learned? That painting with as broad a brush as "texan2yankee" does is ignorant, and shows you know nothing about a topic.

Well, I watched the first video and I saw something different from what you did. The way the clerk handled his gun was a certain style I've seen as common in the IPSC, circle of discipline. He wasn't shooting "willy nilly" His fire was directed at specific targets. He was using specific , identifiable, handling techniques and defensive tactics. A full extension , two handed Weaver hold, "tuck and cover" two handed retention stance, and a one handed "line of sight" aiming from behind cover. The last agree was poorly executed but hey this wasn't a controlled situation on the training course. This was the real thing.

From what I saw the clerk has had some training. His deployment of the gun was not executed like someone who has never handled a hand gun. Oh I do agree that he didn't look like Doug Koenig or Rob Leatham. But he was not a totally rank beginner either. He was scanning, making sure he retained his gun, and directing his shots at the threat. And it looked to me as if he's had some training.

No , he wasn't looking like some top gun for team SW, but this wasn't an IPSC course either. I've been shooting competitively in several disciplines and have had a LOT of training and I can't say that I would have done better in this particular situation. I did cringe a bit when I saw his gun turn sideways when he went to line of sight, but we can't see outside the door what he was shooting at. The robbers were clearly identifiable and if he had a fat target outside the door his method of engaging and remaining behind cover was not something I'm going to criticize. Especially if what he was shooting at was prepared to shoot back.

I think he gave an admirable accounting. Three armed thugs, he dropped two. This was a serious, real world situation. Yea, I reckon his methodology would have gotten him multiple procedural violations in an IPSC match, but he wasn't engaging paper targets.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:33 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,142,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
because there are gun grabbers on this board that truly think that only the government should have guns. and there are those that would say that even if you have a gun for self defense, you shuoldnt use it cause you might hurt someone, including the criminal.
Never heard anyone say that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies