Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 01:28 PM

78,521 posts, read 60,702,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Cute article but this is not new. Blue states have been carrying this country on their backs for a long time.

Without our help, several red states would be perpetually depressed.

Red state lawmakers find blue state piggy bank | TheHill
Red state vs. Blue state ignores multiple fundamental economic concepts and is a politically driven narrative with no statistical or logical basis.

It is used by people on the far left and far right to justify a wide variety of political issues because only a small percentage of the population has the education to spot what a clear and utter pile of crap the entire concept is.

This has been explained in detail here many times but still we get threads like this.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:28 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,281,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Blue states have more high earners and fewer allowable deductions, thus resulting in significantly higher tax bills already.

A deduction isn't a subsidy. State and local taxes are partially deductible on the federal form, like a laundry list of other things.

Anyways, it doesn't matter. The chances of this tax bill passing in current form are zero. The Republicans would lose the rich states for the next 50 years, and kill the economy. Trump might be that stupid, but I don't think Congress is quite that stupid.
So say my employer was provided a deductible for repatriation of it's offshore funds of the taxable value of those funds. That wouldn't be a corporate subsidy, in your opinion?

Old 11-10-2017, 02:07 PM

1,400 posts, read 865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Long term the lower class would pay vastly more in taxes, because you would be trying to kill the major sources of tax revenue. Either poor people would have to pay more, or the country would become a third world hellhole, with barely any taxes.

Something like 80% of the federal budget is entitlements and stuff, and none of that is going away. Veterans aren't all going to be put to death or something.
But how does eliminating SALT kill federal revenue? Say a wealthy family is making $10 million a year in income, and paying 700k a year in SALT. Under the current system they get to deduct that 700k and thereby reduce their federal tax burden by roughly 280k. Are you sure you want the wealthy to pay less taxes?

Old 11-10-2017, 02:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 9,179,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Red state vs. Blue state ignores multiple fundamental economic concepts and is a politically driven narrative with no statistical or logical basis.

It is used by people on the far left and far right to justify a wide variety of political issues because only a small percentage of the population has the education to spot what a clear and utter pile of crap the entire concept is.

This has been explained in detail here many times but still we get threads like this.
Don’t be such a buzzkill. It feels good to believe the narratives that make me feel superior to others.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:26 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,036,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post

yeah- I think we all know what you meant..the dog whistle worked just fine.
Just a tip for future reference: you will do well to learn the actual meaning of the "dog whistle" metaphor.

It's a signal that can ONLY be heard by the dog, but not by any humans who may be within earshot.

If you heard the whistle, you're the dog.

Heh, heh...heh, heh...

Old 11-10-2017, 02:48 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,462,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Just a tip for future reference: you will do well to learn the actual meaning of the "dog whistle" metaphor.

It's a signal that can ONLY be heard by the dog, but not by any humans who may be within earshot.

If you heard the whistle, you're the dog.

Heh, heh...heh, heh...

Apologies, I believe in this case the whistle was so loud everyone else could hear it too. I'll spend some time this weekend looking for a more appropriate term to describe more overtly racist coded language.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:17 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,963,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Apologies, I believe in this case the whistle was so loud everyone else could hear it too. I'll spend some time this weekend looking for a more appropriate term to describe more overtly racist coded language.

Your assumption of racists coded language is ridiculous. Why do some of you always claim racists on things? Never mind I know the answer to that. Liberals. And the whistle was heard only by you and that makes sense.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:25 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,462,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Your assumption of racists coded language is ridiculous. Why do some of you always claim racists on things? Never mind I know the answer to that. Liberals. And the whistle was heard only by you and that makes sense.

sure. keep telling yourself that.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:22 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,483,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
What's really funny is that when adjusted for COL, most people in the so called poor states have more disposable income than people living in states such as CA or NY, $40,000 in Louisiana vs $36,000 in CA for example.

https://www.fool.com/investing/gener...-to-spend.aspx
I can believe that. I live in a high COL area and I earn a salary based on that. On paper, it looks like I earn a lot compared to other middle class Americans. But everything costs more here so the reality is I have less disposable income that Someone who earns less than me but lives in a cheaper area. I want to move, but this is where the jobs are in my field. I’m currently making my job telecommute friendly, but it’s going to take time and cost money.

That’s why the GOP tax plan hurt me so much (back when they were talking about eliminating the mortgage interest deduction and lowering 401k contributions to a fraction of what there are now). I don’t have the extra money to spare for taxes without cutting into my retirement savings (and I need that because I don’t want to be on welfare or eating cat food when I’m elderly).

With the changes (adding mortgage deductions back in and not messing with 401k), I pretty much pay the same now as I did before. But it really scared me for a while. I said in another thread that I’m an Independent voter and vote both parties depending on who I think will do better in the office. But these proposals give me pause. I feel like me, as a middle class homeowner, was in the GOP crosshairs being told I need to pay more in taxes. And I vote GOP for lower taxes! Even if none of this passes, I won’t forget that.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:40 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,752,692 times
Blue states are so much better than Red states. If Blue states are better, why are people from a Blue state like California flee to Red states like Texas or Arizona?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies