Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 05:31 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Absolutely & I do understand that fact...but anything is better than nothing.

Even a "quality" rehab program costs 10's of thousands of dollars a month. With zero guarantees.

You can't put that "type" of "quality" on the taxpayers for public school kids who come from households of parents who don't care.
Why not?

We can invest billions and billions of dollars into other areas, but not our youth. Which makes absolutely no sense to me considering our country would reap the benefits of an increasingly educated population as the youth mature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 05:33 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I thought conservatives were all about hard work? Funny how you do everything to cripple working people yet at the same time praise them very interesting.
"Hard work" isn't valuable if it's no/low-skill. Flooding the US with no/low-skill illegal aliens, refugees, and immigrants only exacerbates the problem and keeps low-end wages depressed.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
School choice will even this out - at least in theory. The way it is now, people shop for homes by comparing school districts. With school choice, they will shop for schools irrespective of where they live.

But don't expect your chosen school to come get your kids.
School choice won't eradicate the issues associated with poverty and school funding.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
You know what life is never fair. I hate the conservatives for making PP public enemy number 1.

But again, the world doesn't owe anyone anything. We all have to deal with schitty cards at some point. We deal with it.

I hate seeing people on my side making excuses for poor decisions. Yes, I'm a liberal. I'm just not a regressive liberal.
What say you about progressive liberal countries like Finland and Norway?

They don't say "the world doesn't owe anyone anything." Instead, they recognize an issue, study it and come to a solution that will benefit the individual and country as a whole. Do you disagree with this mode of government? If so, why?

Old 11-27-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Many school districts with the worst results have the highest per pupil funding levels. Washington, DC and Camden, NJ, for example. Should we reduce their funding and redistribute it to the better performing suburban school districts?
I am interested in how much of that money is actually spent on the students. I'm going to guess a large amount of that money is spent on administration. If I'm right, and I am sure I am, I will counter you by saying that "throwing" whatever money is overspent on admin to students will absolutely help them.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
"Hard work" isn't valuable if it's no/low-skill. Flooding the US with no/low-skill illegal aliens, refugees, and immigrants only exacerbates the problem and keeps low-end wages depressed.
If its not valuable, why does the position exist in the first place?

Old 11-27-2017, 06:04 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rt....lizzard-school

Not too cool for school: Siberian students brave -50C cold & extreme blizzard to attend classes.

Mut huts are way better than this!

Old 11-27-2017, 06:14 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
School choice won't eradicate the issues associated with poverty and school funding.
Not necessarily. If we as a nation can buy better education with less tax money, why wouldn't we? Not all private schools are pricey. Homeschooling isn't pricey. Cyberschool isn't pricey, PLUS it eliminates the problem of bullying and violence at school and going to/from school (which is a BIG problem in Chicago, several kids have been killed going to and from school - gang related).

Old 11-27-2017, 06:17 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
What say you about progressive liberal countries like Finland and Norway?

They don't say "the world doesn't owe anyone anything." Instead, they recognize an issue, study it and come to a solution that will benefit the individual and country as a whole. Do you disagree with this mode of government? If so, why?
Those countries have very low population. They also are for the most part non-diverse. In other words, it is easier for them to find solution that work for most of their people.

The US is a lot more diverse. What could work for the Hispanic population might not work for the black pop.

We also have conservative nutjobs running the country. Why on earth do you think they will ever listen. Aim for something more realistic.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:19 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
I am interested in how much of that money is actually spent on the students. I'm going to guess a large amount of that money is spent on administration. If I'm right, and I am sure I am, I will counter you by saying that "throwing" whatever money is overspent on admin to students will absolutely help them.
I dare say everybody on both sides hate the fact that so much of the money we pump into education goes into administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies