Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 05:43 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
This is why I can't stand the conservative mantra.

We can start trying to solve this problem by teaching children are NOT gifts from god.
Thankfully, that faction of conservatives is getting smaller and smaller. Most conservatives that I know personally, are not against birth control or abortion. It is mostly just conservatives that are from specific parts of the country. Unfortunately, those parts of the country are still needed in order to win elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 06:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
You're right. I suppose we can do both. But without controlling the bunny rabbits breeding behavior, doing what you suggest is like playing whack-a-mole.
I disagree. Previous efforts at encouraging intelligent birth control have been successful. Also, when you remove the reward for procreating, many people will simply stop doing so. We'll always have outliers. I don't think *anything* will work 100% for everyone but I do strongly believe we can decrease births while improving existing lives.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Yet this is not a new concept.

These programs already exist in most cities/towns & public schools - at least in the state I live in.

In the town I live in there are outreach programs for public school students (provided by the public schools) who have been identified as at-risk.

There are also in-school counselors & social workers.

What you never hear of (other than how much is budgeted for the outreach programs) is the rate of success/failure of these programs.

These kids still have to go home...
I'd like to see the success rate of these programs as well.

Lets also remember its not just having the program that counts, its the quality.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This has already been done. Proof that throwing money at them doesn’t help.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camb...le_Youth_Study
The study was done 81 years ago. One would think that those implementing these types of programs would have learned something in the 8 ensuing decades.

Here are the findings of why that particular program failed:

Quote:
In 1981, McCord published the results of a study of the data from the Cambridge-Somerville Youth Study to find out why the program had damaging results. She formulated four hypotheses: (1) that counselors imposed middle-class values on lower-class youth which did not work for the youth; (2) that boys in the treatment group became dependent on counselors and, when the program ended, the boys lost a source of support; (3) that youth in the treatment group suffered a labeling effect; and (4) that the support of the counselors raised expectations of the boys in the treatment group which could not be sustained, resulting in disillusionment after the program completed.[2][4][6]
Big issues to grapple with, but none impossible to tweak.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Thankfully, that faction of conservatives is getting smaller and smaller. Most conservatives that I know personally, are not against birth control or abortion. It is mostly just conservatives that are from specific parts of the country. Unfortunately, those parts of the country are still needed in order to win elections.
Exactly. Even though most conservatives do not believe all children are gifts from God, the ones who do believe as such are gaining more and more power in this country.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:51 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Well there are also many poor christians who don't believe in abortion or birth control.....It's not race, it's your religion. This was my family. Finally our priest told my mom to take birth control. Birth control and abortion should still be a viable option because many are on welfare because of too many kids. And adoption really isn't an option since hundreds of thousands of kid are in foster care waiting for a permanent family.
^^^^^ The poster you were replying to above stated she was talking about out of wedlock births. Your reply doesn't address that at all, unless you're trying to say that someone other than your mother's husband (assuming that was your father) was also fathering or attempting to father her children.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:

We can start trying to solve this problem by teaching children are NOT gifts from god.
If you think the 'gift from god' mantra is stronger than the 'abstinence' mantra, then I doubt you know very many true conservatives.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:20 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,600,111 times
Quote:

What exactly would that solve?

Old 11-26-2017, 07:29 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,867,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How does drinking fountain affect people’s learning?

The worst school facilities in US are heaven to many of my previous countrymen. They have mud huts, chalks and blackboards. Students literally go to school on empty stomach. Hey, they can still beat most Americans on math and science!
Wow... you've missed the point entirely

As for mud hut schools... we are talking about the UNITED STATES here - arguably the greatest nation on earth, and a Western/First World one at that. There's no reason that any of our children, regardless of what class or region they're born into, should get substandard educations in substandard facilities.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Last I checked, California had a similar model whereby every school recievesthe same per pupil funding. The difference is that schools in wealthier communities tend to have many parental orgs who do massive fund raising and gift their local schools with stuff / programs their taxes don't pay for. Middle class and poor communities don't have the same ability to raise as much funds and gift.

Parents can and do spend $ hundreds per hour to increase the liklihood their kids get into highly selective schools. Then there's the whole Asian/ immigrant thing whereby families, regardless of means, place incredible emphasis on education. One is unlikely to find these kids parked In front of the TV or obsessing over nonsense on social media.
^^^^^ Yep.

The public schools in my hometown in California haven't been outside of the top 1% of public schools in California for, I'd guess, at least 50 years. The AVG HHI there is well over 200k per year, and the median home value is over 1m. I graduated from high school in the 1970s, my class was the largest in the history of the school, and one-third of my class attended UC Berkeley straight out of high school. Soon after Proposition 13 (mentioned elsewhere in this thread I believe) passed, one 'parental org' (as you aptly put it) was founded, and money pours into it to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies