Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2017, 12:59 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Exactly Lol. Liberals believe that working hard so that your children can prosper is "bad."

Sorry, our ancestors didn't sail to America to work for the benefit of everyone else's kids, and neither does anyone (who is being honest with themself).
You're rather naive.

In any case, seeing as you're all about hard work (while the rest of us schlepps, no matter how well educated, sit on our butts collecting welfare, I suppose?), what is your level of education?

What is your GPA for your undergraduate degree? Your graduate degree?

Did you receive any scholarships for those degrees? If not, why not?

What do you do for a living?

What is your income level?

Are you prepared, intellectually, financially, socially and culturally to raise your kids in an environment that supports education and lifelong learning? Can you provide your children with a quality university education (based on college costs in the US)?

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 11-11-2017 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 01:06 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
My views are not conservative. They are the logical conclusion of having good work ethics. My family worked very hard to get to where we are. Why should anyone else deserve the fruits of our labor?
That would be like a conservative saying, “My views are not conservative. The Bible is the logical source of all Truth, and the Bible clearly says that homosexuality is an abomination. Why should the government promote a sinful lifestyle?”

You may be liberal on social issues, but on economic issues your views are conservative. That’s fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But it’s not liberal to think that poor people should have a better work ethic and pull themselves by their own bootstraps. It conservative.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:12 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
America is great for having choices. We are also built on capitalism.

There should be a basic standard for good solid public schooling, but if some want to pay more for a premium education... why not? And after all, their families and children actually WANT to have a quality academic education. Meanwhile, the chronically poor are not helping their cause since they s*ck at parenting. More money towards public schools filled with kids who don't care about learning and with parents who are terrible parents, is just a massive waste of taxpayer money. And we need to stop coddling immigrant students by not forcing them to embrace learning English in the classroom.

And the same goes for healthcare. Set a standard for basic care, but the poor and illegals don't deserve premium care unless they can pay for it. Let them turn to crowdsourcing to pay for that.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:12 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
My views are not conservative. They are the logical conclusion of having good work ethics. My family worked very hard to get to where we are. Why should anyone else deserve the fruits of our labor?
Why do you assume that poor people don't work hard?

"35.2 percent of the poor between the ages of 18 and 64 in 2013 were considered not currently eligible to work because they are retired, going to school, or disabled. The other 64.8 percent of working-age poor are currently eligible to work. The second bar shows us that among these currently-eligible workers, 62.6 percent are working and 44.3 percent are working full-time. Of the working-age poor eligible for employment, 37.4 percent are not working—a share that includes the 3.3 million unemployed poor people currently seeking a job."
Poor People Work: A Majority of Poor People Who Can Work Do | Economic Policy Institute

Old 11-11-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
There are people with strong work ethics all over the place. And that's my point. To help the perpetual poor, we need to teach them proper work ethics instead of throwing money at them.

The US has waged a war against poverty for 50 years. Billions of dollars have been thrown at the problem with no result at all. Isn't it time we take a different approach?
What approach do you suggest we take?

My point is that many millions of people, having grown up and become culturalized in social democratic countries, are incredibly hard working.

The socioecomic policies throughout the rest of the First World help ADVANCE their strong, efficient, business-friendly economies, not undermine them. Germany is an economic powerhouse. Canada has the strongest middle class in the world, with higher home ownership and university graduation rates than the US.

Yes, Virginia, there really IS a happy, sustainable middle ground between Communism and the survival-of-the-fittest economic theories and policies clearly favored by the 1% and supported by well-trained members of the middle classes.

You call yourself a liberal, but your thinking appears as binary as the average Trump supporter's.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:18 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
There are people with strong work ethics all over the place. And that's my point. To help the perpetual poor, we need to teach them proper work ethics instead of throwing money at them.

The US has waged a war against poverty for 50 years. Billions of dollars have been thrown at the problem with no result at all. Isn't it time we take a different approach?
Europe waged a war on poverty and it worked.

Why didn’t it work here in America? That’s a very good question. I don’t know exactly why, but I suspect that the US has a deep cultural problem. There’s also the legacy of slavery and racism.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:18 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

There should be a basic standard for good solid public schooling, but if some want to pay more for a premium education... why not? And after all, their families and children actually WANT to have a quality academic education. Meanwhile, the chronically poor are not helping their cause since they s*ck at parenting. More money towards public schools filled with kids who don't care about learning and with parents who are terrible parents, is just a massive waste of taxpayer money. And we need to stop coddling immigrant students by not forcing them to embrace learning English in the classroom.

And the same goes for healthcare. Set a standard for basic care, but the poor and illegals don't deserve premium care unless they can pay for it. Let them turn to crowdsourcing to pay for that.
No one said the rich shouldn't pay more for better schools, there are plenty of great private schools available for them. I'm not sure what the "chronically poor" comment is about, but if we had better opportunities, and better schools maybe more people would be able to move out of poverty. At least in California english language learners are taught in english only, usually by teachers who are not bilingual.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:23 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Because we are a nation based on Calvinist values.

In Calvinism, some are born as God’s Chosen Elect, presdestined for Heaven, and others are born as the Reprobate, predestined for eternal damnation.

If you’re born poor, it’s because you are part of the reprobate and being righteously punished by the Almighty.

Calvinist values run deep in America. Even American liberals are conservative on economic issues. Look at liberal CA and NY. They have some of the greatest levels of wealth disparity in the country.
As a Christian who abhors Calvinist thought, I believe there is something to this argument.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

You must be a mother of a large brood seeing as you seem to know what makes someone "suc* at parenting"!

Old 11-11-2017, 01:29 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That would be like a conservative saying, “My views are not conservative. The Bible is the logical source of all Truth, and the Bible clearly says that homosexuality is an abomination. Why should the government promote a sinful lifestyle?”

You may be liberal on social issues, but on economic issues your views are conservative. That’s fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But it’s not liberal to think that poor people should have a better work ethic and pull themselves by their own bootstraps. It conservative.
Trust me, I've seen how hard working poor people can be. In fact, I would argue that some poor people work 10 times harder than any better off person I have ever seen in my life.

The problem is work ethics doesn't only mean work hard. Proper work ethics encompass a lot of things. For example, having the right work ethics includes having a plan or long term goal. Work toward something. Anyone here remember Derrell Odom and how he complains that after working at KFC for x number of years he's still making minimum wage? Continuing to work for KFC and patiently waiting for a raise to land on his lap is not having a plan or long term goal. If he has the right work ethics, he'd be working at KFC while attending training classes and looking for something better. My father and mother worked minimum wage jobs when we first immigrated here to the US. During the day, they worked their minimum wage jobs and during the evening they attended classes at the local community college. Whining about it doesn't do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies