Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 10:04 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,141,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The economy was terrible. The country was broke because of Vietnam. Entertainment and TV was better in every way.
Yes, because The Six Million Dollar Man and What's Happening were much better than Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad.

Come on, the only good show from that year is M.A.S.H.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:13 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,642,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck View Post
I know awful Jimmy Carter was elected that year, but 1976 is that sweet spot of the greatest time in this country. Right before we got all PC starting at the end of the 70s. After the war and immigration of schools.

You could actually discipline a kid in school and not be sued. You could have some friendly hazing in high school-college and parents wouldn't freak out.

No trophies being handed out for last place. So much more individual freedom.

It's another example of Trump being the greatest

Sounds great , let's go back to teachers beating the living crap out of kids!
Let's go back to men assaulting and harassing our moms.
while we are at it do you want go back to treating minorities like 2nd or 3rd class citizens?

Maybe you want to put lead back in our gas, water and paint?
Or is it the ozone you want to destroy? i mean it only took 30 years for the holes to start closing up, i guess who cares about aussies?

Can't wait to get back to 70s values, when men could grab your wife's ass and she had to stay quiet or lose her job!

or is it that you think your daughter wouldn't mind guys having a little grab her here and there?

Back in the 70's many still it was "OK" for a tough guy to "slap some sense" into his wife n kids, or to "beat some sense" into guy who steps out of line. Racism was completely acceptable.

Poster if you think i am wrong, i suggest you google some old 1960s and 1970s situation comedies, you will be stunned at the open racism and sexism, at the time it all seems fine, but when you see it today it is shocking

Old 11-13-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
The music of 76 certainly blows away 2017 music. Hell disco of 76 blows away today's music. It's that awful

If you're talking about the music that gets airplay then I agree. However, if you're just hearing what others decide to play over the airwaves then your comment is one made from ignorance. Popular music is driven by young people 12-25 and that's what's is pushed by radio programmers. We have the ability to hear just about anything that is recorded today. It's a music lover's paradise out there due to the vast amount of choices available. You just need to look past the all the overproduced musical product written by corporate teams to find all the great stuff being made today.

Listen to St. Paul and the Broken Bones or The Tedeschi Trucks Band and tell me disco from 1976 is better.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:22 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,835,033 times
Quote:
I know awful Jimmy Carter was elected that year, but 1976 is that sweet spot of the greatest time in this country. Right before we got all PC starting at the end of the 70s. After the war and immigration of schools.

You could actually discipline a kid in school and not be sued. You could have some friendly hazing in high school-college and parents wouldn't freak out.

No trophies being handed out for last place. So much more individual freedom.

It's another example of Trump being the greatest
What is "immigration of schools...?

Will note I was born in the late 1970s (after 1976) and in our schools they paddled kids in the 1980s/1990s and when I went to college there was all sorts of hazing in 1997-1998. We also didn't get participation trophies. But probably because I didn't grow up in suburbia.

Not sure what your OP has to do with your opinion of "Trump being the greatest" lol.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Sounds great , let's go back to teachers beating the living crap out of kids!
Let's go back to men assaulting and harassing our moms.
while we are at it do you want go back to treating minorities like 2nd or 3rd class citizens?

Maybe you want to put lead back in our gas, water and paint?
Or is it the ozone you want to destroy? i mean it only took 30 years for the holes to start closing up, i guess who cares about aussies?

Can't wait to get back to 70s values, when men could grab your wife's ass and she had to stay quiet or lose her job!

or is it that you think your daughter wouldn't mind guys having a little grab her here and there?

Back in the 70's many still it was "OK" for a tough guy to "slap some sense" into his wife n kids, or to "beat some sense" into guy who steps out of line. Racism was completely acceptable.

Poster if you think i am wrong, i suggest you google some old 1960s and 1970s situation comedies, you will be stunned at the open racism and sexism, at the time it all seems fine, but when you see it today it is shocking

I don't know about you but I miss people smoking at the table next to me while I eat.

And AMC cars.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:25 AM

Will note in general about the 1970s that it was an era of very high crime. We have less crime today in many areas versus the 1970s. People (mosty conservatives) like to speak ill of Chicago and their 600-700 murders, but ignore the fact that in the 1970s they had 1000-2000 murders a year.

Also as a black person, things weren't all that great in this country in the 1970s. Blacks were still discriminated against in employment and housing. That wouldn't really change until the late 1970s/early 1980s. A majority of blacks lived in poverty stricken ghettos, including public housing (not so today). And there was a heroin epidemic in black America that lead to the crack epidemic in the 1980s.

I do love disco music though and early hip hop music and basically all 1970s Rock n Roll - that is the Golden Age of Rock. I also enjoy all the old 1970s TV shows and some movies from the 70s. But we are better off today IMO.

ETA: And look at old footage of our cities back then - they were super dirty and grimy. There is a show about the beginnings of hip hop (which occurred in teh 1970s) on Netflix called "The Get Down" and there is actual footage in the first season of how parts of the Bronx used to look in NYC in the 1970s with all the burned down buildings and trash strewn about - it looked like armageddon had occurred!

Old 11-13-2017, 10:27 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,619,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Is this Trump-praise a joke?

In 1976, women were barely able to get anywhere in the work world - same with blacks and obviously foreign people. Gays and other people of different sexual orientations were still in the closet, as were people of any nonstandard religion. The only people with true "individual freedom" were straight, white, Christian males - funny how those are the only people who support Trump and what he represents.

But you're saying it's OK to dehumanize millions of Americans and force them into being second class citizens with few prospects and constant fear of their religion or sexuality being revealed just so we can go back to killing people in college hazing rituals without "people freaking out?"

Posts like the OP's are a terrifying look into what really matters in the mind of Trump supporters.
Sounds like you're confusing 1976 with 1956. It is true LGBT people did not have full rights yet but everyone else did. That said black-white relations were a little worse than they are right now - and a lot worse than they were in the 2000s and early 2010s.

Relations between the sexes were MUCH better in 1976. Overwhelmingly better.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I don't know about you but I miss people smoking at the table next to me while I eat.

And AMC cars.
Oh the smoking!!!

Ugh....

I was a kid in the 1980s and had asthma and remember having to sit on the porch for half the evening after eating Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner because everyone smoked in the house and I couldn't breathe. I would usually get bronchitis in January due to all the smoke.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:33 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,619,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Yes, because The Six Million Dollar Man and What's Happening were much better than Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad.

Come on, the only good show from that year is M.A.S.H.
1976 was not the greatest year for TV but it was an excellent year for movies. As were the '70s in general.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:34 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,562,839 times
Talking I know, right...

Quote:
The music of 76 certainly blows away 2017 music. Hell disco of 76 blows away today's music. It's that awful

Kids these days.

Carry on.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies