Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 07:58 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,201,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Oh boo hoo I know plenty of millennials with two jobs as well. Difference between millennials and boomers everything costs more for millennials from school to housing. Then boomers have the gall to stand up on there soapboxes and moralize about how much better they are.
Agree..us boomers had it easier in their 20's than the current folks have it. They didn't have to worry about medical costs...school tuition...none of it. It was build a cheap house and on you go. Of course trying to get a loan back then was a lot harder too...

Being a kid today is another interesting thing. Sometimes i think they have too much ..we had little but it made life easier/simpler.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:59 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I was 18 in 1976. In many ways minorities had it better back then. It was before USSC decisions put stricter requirements on affirmative action programs.

Most of the civil rights advancements were in the 50s and 60s. I would say only homosexuals have made great progress since.

Of course the left has to bring race into everything.
Why yes, nothing says "better" like being stuck in the closet and losing your job and home if anyone found out who you were sleeping with.

Nothing says better like redlining still being a major issue that was only beginning to be addressed by a handful of states.

Nothing says better like being denied jobs solely for being female or black. Admittedly that still happens today, but to a much lesser extent.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:20 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,692,168 times
Adding #3 to my previous thread......! (LOL!)

As much as I love the 70s in some ways.....
1. The music
2. COL not being as expensive as right now
3. '77-'78 Yankees (RE-GGIE, RE-GGIE!)(if you're outside of New York, or Met fan, so what....! LOL!)

There is that other side
1. America financially, morally, emotionally broke!
2. Old New York rough and broke!
3. "Disco Dust"
4. Getting chased out of a "different" neighborhood

Old 11-13-2017, 08:34 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,812,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer6583 View Post
Except we also had disco. Bell bottoms and leisure suits.
And today we have

Old 11-13-2017, 09:20 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,847,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Just a different birth year than the Leave it to Beaver group. Both are nostalgic for a time when minorities could be readily discriminated against, women could be treated like objects, and white men ruled everything.

The music might be different but the mentality is exactly the same.
Not exactly. At least in 1976, sexual morays weren't quite so tight and the LGBT community was starting to gain some acceptance in the big cities. Disco was the first LGBT-driven music genre that gained mainstream popularity. The '70s were also a fairly liberal decade compared to the '80s. While parts of the country still had an uptight '50s mentality (some still do today), we really were quite a ways away from the '50s at that point. The major race riots that defined the '60s had calmed down.

I think I could do the '70s provided I was living in a liberal area. The biggest downside is that the '80s would be just a few years away. Would definitely not want to live back then if I had to live in the South.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,847,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
And today we have
That was more last decade...early last decade at that. Maybe it's just because I live in a conservative area but it's been a long time since I've seen that.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,796,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck View Post
It's another example of Trump being the greatest
Sure thing kiddo

Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 AM

50,533 posts, read 47,317,846 times
The thing I think most miss is actually having 2 parents under the same roof. The original ones not the 3rd or 4th by divorce.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:46 AM

16,730 posts, read 8,722,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck View Post
1976 is that sweet spot of the greatest time in this country.
While I agree with your comments about PC, most likely the 1950's are the last great decade that our Founding Fathers would be proud of us for.

It was well before my time, but this country was much more unified with the proper work ethic, morals, values, etc.
The freaks/dopers of the 1960's (many of whom now run the media, schools/colleges, etc.) changed America in ways many people do not understand. They were too out of the mainstream to directly effect the culture of 1976, but they were starting to infect American values/culture in ways that have come home to roost.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:57 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,019,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The economy was terrible. The country was broke because of Vietnam. Entertainment and TV was better in every way.
I'd like to point out that the economy in 1976 was actually not doing badly at all, in fact it was in the middle of the best period of growth in living standards America would enjoy between the two oil shocks. Real GDP and household income growth were robust for several years centered on 1976, even if price inflation was running red-hot throughout. The worst of the oil crisis had passed and people had adapted to the higher gas prices, albeit only with lower living standards as far as energy was concerned. Of course that was merely the eye of the storm and wasn't sustainable (leaving aside the fact that there have been far better times for the economy), but by any measure it beats the snot out of the current so-called recovery, so there is that.

As for America being broke after Vietnam, that was certainly true, and the U.S. hasn't recovered since - spending was able to be grown as the economy stabilized but only by accumulating the largest peacetime debt in history, which continues to this day, albeit without the economy doing as well as it did in the 1980s or even the 70s. In fact the only time the economy has resumed normal growth across the whole income column was in the late 1990s, which was also not coincidentally the only time the national debt decreased. Household incomes grew roughly as fast as they had pre-WWI and post-WWII, albeit faster among the top earners (the opposite trend was the case post-WWII and pre-WWI when inequality was flat or declining), but interestingly slower among more-credentialed people and faster among the less-credentialed. Also not coincidentally college enrollments actually dropped and college tuitions stabilized as a percentage of income. The out-of-wedlock birth surge halted, and black household incomes were growing much faster than whites', beginning a convergence trend which has since halted. The black marriage rate also surged during this era. All this was thrown out the window after 2000 when the economy went into "perpetually depressed" mode, and we've ended up much worse off than we were even in the 80s let alone the 90s. Normal growth after 2000 has halted for the entire income column - stagnation for the top 1% and 10% (not growth as is commonly believed) and decline for the rest. For comparison, in the 1980s and early 1990s the top 1% and 10% resumed normal growth and everyone else stagnated.

For perspective when it comes to the economy the average decadal GDP growth rate in 1929-39 was higher than 2007-17, so by that measure we're doing worse now than we were in the Great Depression - oh, the actual crash wasn't as severe in our time but recovery in the 1930s was immensely stronger which more than made up for the previous recession by the time 10 years had passed.

So if we had experienced a replay of the Great Depression in 2008 (the oligarchy's worst fear!) we would have actually have had more GDP and household income in 2017 than we actually do. Just let that sink in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies