Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 06:35 AM

57,404 posts, read 26,420,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I was 18 in 1976. In many ways minorities had it better back then. It was before USSC decisions put stricter requirements on affirmative action programs.

Most of the civil rights advancements were in the 50s and 60s. I would say only homosexuals have made great progress since.

Of course the left has to bring race into everything.
So in which ways did minorities and women have it better? It was a simpler and more straightforward time but many things were placed in the background, child abuse, actions by police, much more crooked politicians. Just because something went ignored doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:55 AM

19,838 posts, read 12,383,340 times
The music really was good, whether you were into disco or rock. My teenage relatives and neighbors were always going to concerts. They had good paying jobs right out of high school, nice clothes and cars. Cities, air and water were dirtier. Cities were grittier. Kids played outside until dark. Working class people could afford houses.

Racism was worse but black people were starting to be portrayed in tv and movies as equal and capable, and cool. They can call it Blaxploitation but those smooth characters were viewed positively by young people.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:02 AM

68,380 posts, read 54,639,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck View Post
I know awful Jimmy Carter was elected that year, but 1976 is that sweet spot of the greatest time in this country. Right before we got all PC starting at the end of the 70s. After the war and immigration of schools.

You could actually discipline a kid in school and not be sued. You could have some friendly hazing in high school-college and parents wouldn't freak out.

No trophies being handed out for last place. So much more individual freedom.

It's another example of Trump being the greatest

And the cutest was seeing Donny and Vlad dressed in their matching Chinese busboy outfits.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:07 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,947,716 times
That was over 40 years ago. Were people in 1976 reminiscing about trying to return to 1936 America?

Man I knew there were a lot of boomers on here, but CD skews old, like wayyyyyyyyy old. I don't think the vast majority of retirees or those on the verge of retiring even understand how the economy works anymore. How many people over the age of 60 on here have even ever written a script on a computer? Or know how to make a computer say 'Hello World!' in Python? Just enjoy your time in retirement already, because a bunch of people that are completely out of touch with how the modern world works should have less importance in crafting laws on the books that effect how most parts of a modern economy work.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:10 AM

68,380 posts, read 54,639,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
That was over 40 years ago. Were people in 1976 reminiscing about trying to return to 1936 America?

Man I knew there were a lot of boomers on here, but CD skews old, like wayyyyyyyyy old. I don't think the vast majority of retirees or those on the verge of retiring even understand how the economy works anymore. How many people over the age of 60 on here have even ever written a script on a computer? Or know how to make a computer say 'Hello World!' in Python? Just enjoy your time in retirement already, because a bunch of people that are completely out of touch with how the modern world works should have less importance in crafting laws on the books that effect how most parts of a modern economy work.

And that's what passes as a life skill these days?

Old 11-13-2017, 07:31 AM

19,838 posts, read 12,383,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And that's what passes as a life skill these days?
That is why we are rapidly declining as a country. Some other country that isn't full of incel basement dwellers will reign as the world's super power.

LOL, who invented computers, not millennials. Mocking prior generations that afforded the privileges they now have isn't the way to go. With the lack of exercise and copious Hot pockets, they will be lucky to live as long as boomers. Maybe boomers will never retire. Millennials are not entitled to their jobs anyway. First they will go to Gen Xers. Isn't it time to start mocking them as well?

I know boomers with two jobs, not because they have to, because they enjoy the rewards and hard work isn't a dirty word to them.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:36 AM

18,519 posts, read 15,348,796 times
I was a little kid in 1976, so I can’t really say. But I did like the 80s a lot. The beginning of MTV, home computers, the rampant materialism. It was a fun time in history.

I like 60s and 70s music better personally, but my wife loves 80s music.

As somebody else mentioned, gays definitely had it a lot worse back then, but people thought a lot less about race. I think that is a good thing because we were less divided than we are now. I’m sure some people here think that is a bad thing.

People were proud to be Americans, and while there were still two parties, people on both sides still felt that American bond, which I think is missing now. Somehow, that bond turned into “nationalism”, and became a bad thing.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:44 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,719,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The music really was good, whether you were into disco or rock. My teenage relatives and neighbors were always going to concerts. They had good paying jobs right out of high school, nice clothes and cars. Cities, air and water were dirtier. Cities were grittier. Kids played outside until dark. Working class people could afford houses.

I have to agree with these points.

You could get a pretty good job right out of high school with no college. That was even still happening in the early 80s. I think that's one area where we've gone WAY wrong: the level of college we require for certain jobs. So, so off base. I 100% agree with going to college, but I certainly don't think you need the degree to work in administration or other types of "paper pusher" jobs. I do like the the extra education you get in some areas in college that is not given in high school; I think it makes you think more than you were asked to think in high school, but that's it.

Working class people could definitely afford houses. My father was a cop, my mother worked at a bank. They could buy a house. Of course, it was already 20 years old when they bought it in the 70s and was only about 900 square feet, if that. Hard to find that anymore.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:51 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,218,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck View Post
I know awful Jimmy Carter was elected that year, but 1976 is that sweet spot of the greatest time in this country. Right before we got all PC starting at the end of the 70s. After the war and immigration of schools.

You could actually discipline a kid in school and not be sued. You could have some friendly hazing in high school-college and parents wouldn't freak out.

No trophies being handed out for last place. So much more individual freedom.

It's another example of Trump being the greatest
The 70s the sweet spot? Try the 90's. Lol..all I can think about when you say 1970's is the ****hole NY City was.

Agree on the PC trophy concept though. That is a joke.

As for HAZING...that **** needs to be stopped FOREVER.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:56 AM

4,939 posts, read 2,957,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

I know boomers with two jobs, not because they have to, because they enjoy the rewards and hard work isn't a dirty word to them.
Oh boo hoo I know plenty of millennials with two jobs as well. Difference between millennials and boomers everything costs more for millennials from school to housing. Then boomers have the gall to stand up on there soapboxes and moralize about how much better they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies