Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 09:12 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 6 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,975,215 times

Advertisements

And the little snowflakes think they've got it all under control.

Like I've said before, left-wingers taking guns away from innocent owners and police will never solve anything. They'll still be putting guns into the hands of criminals.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:12 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,372,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
As long as you can keep all of your toys you don't care about the slaughter.
I don't own a gun so stick your easily mortified liberal presumptions where the sun don't shine.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:13 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Nobody can protect anybody from all evil -- not even you.

What comes to mind is the picture of Reagan surrounded by armed security -- specifically there to protect him -- searching for anyone who might want to harm him -- but Reagan was shot minutes later. Thankfully the shooter was not proficient.....all those guns and he was shot.
Maybe not proficient, but the President still almost died. It is difficult to stop a determined killer no matter the type of gun, or type of other weapon, or the plethora of gun, and murder laws in place.

Here's an New York Times article from 1983 shortly after Reagan was shot.

Quote:
Surely many have wanted to ask the same question of President Reagan since the attempt on his life nearly two years ago: ''Don't you think that things might have been different if Hinckley had had more difficulty in being able to get a gun?''

At his news conference this week, the President answered with another question: ''(Hinckley) did what he did in an area that has about the strictest gun control laws that there are in the United States. Now, how effective are gun control laws for someone that wants to commit a crime using a gun when he could choose the place where they're supposed to be least likely to have one?''
Sound familiar?

Why John Hinckley Had a Gun - NYTimes.com

Old 02-19-2018, 09:14 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I know the right to self protection outweighs anything you say.
Get yourself a Mossberg 500, you'll like it.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:15 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,046,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Right, wrong or otherwise, Milennials might be the ones to make some measure of Gun Control a reality once they're old enough to vote, boycott, and lobby. It would be fair to say their generation has witnessed enough of these tragedies over the short span of their lives.

Florida school shooting: Students to march on Washington - BBC News
This was the original post, stay somewhat on topic folks.

I agree that Americans who are currently in school, and those who just recently graduated(far less likely to vote even though they are old enough) will be the generation that strongly pushes the gun control agenda. My predictions are that in the next 10 years parts of the USA will see more gun control. State and local level, for example no high capacity magazines in NY state and no AR15/AK47/etc type of rifles in Cook County(that is where Chicago is in fyi).

Those in the pro gun control crowd may feel like you are losing, but that is not correct. Look at huge population centers where you are winning. Yes if you look at a map of the USA and see only a few pins here and there(NY, Chicago, LA, etc) it looks like you are losing. But most of the map is fairly empty space. The huge population centers where more and more of the population will move into are becoming more and more pro gun control.

In a hundred years we will see something similar to UK's gun laws. Extremely strict and limited. It is inevitable.
FYI I am real pro gun, pro 2nd amendment, AR loving American. But I also don't live in a fantasy world. I see the trend of the nation and I will try my part to convince people to be more pro 2nd amendment, but honestly at this point it is all about just buying time. At least I am fairly confident that my kids will grow up most of their lives with the ability to enjoy firearms as I did. If I ever have grandchildren, I doubt they will get to enjoy firearms.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:16 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I thought this statement from King was dead on. Most rational people would agree with this. Most gun fetishists will disagree.

“Guys, gals, now hear this: No one wants to take away your hunting rifles. No one wants to take away your shotguns. No one wants to take away your revolvers, and no one wants to take away your automatic pistols, as long as said pistols hold no more than ten rounds. If you can't kill a home invader (or your wife, up in the middle of the night to get a snack from the fridge) with ten shots, you need to go back to the local shooting range.”
My AR-15 is in 6.5 Grendel and it is my deer hunting rifle. And no, even in the last AW ban no one could take it away just like no one is going to now.

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Get yourself a Mossberg 500, you'll like it.
Until they target those for confiscation

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Right, wrong or otherwise, Milennials might be the ones to make some measure of Gun Control a reality once they're old enough to vote, boycott, and lobby. It would be fair to say their generation has witnessed enough of these tragedies over the short span of their lives.

Florida school shooting: Students to march on Washington - BBC News
It's a good point. You can say that the millennials are too entranced with their electronics to take notice, but that will change as they get older. Sometimes it takes extreme events to stimulate people enough to be willing to fight for change.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:18 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Nobody can protect anybody from all evil -- not even you.

What comes to mind is the picture of Reagan surrounded by armed security -- specifically there to protect him -- searching for anyone who might want to harm him -- but Reagan was shot minutes later. Thankfully the shooter was not proficient.....all those guns and he was shot.
Guns are a fact and will continue to be a fact the world over. There is no returning to a gun free world. Before guns it was arrows, swords, and catapults. Before those things it was clubs and rocks.

The point is that the Left is coming from the fantasy perspective that "gun control" will reduce the ability or will for people to use violent force over one another. That fantasy is always just that.

The actual issue is who will and will not have access to the implements of coercive and deadly force.

Pro-gun people refuse to surrender their protections from coercive and deadly force wielded by other individuals or groups.

Because liberals cannot offer a real solution to reducing the ability of individuals or groups from using coercive or deadly force on pro-gun people, whether by gun or rock and club, they have no meaningful anti-gun argument.

Gun control reduces violence from groups that are prone to it, but not in groups that are not. It is a fallacious argument in the eyes of pro-gun people to cite the violence and gun control effectiveness for more violent groups to justify gun control for their group that has exceedingly low rates of violent crime.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:18 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Call it a gun fixation, obsession, compulsion or mania, if that's more comfortable for you. It's difficult to understand the psychology of the extremists on this issue, I will grant you that. Or to describe it.
The only behavior we see like that is from a handful of people that think they can control the lives of 150 or so million innocent owners of firearms. People that blame an inanimate object for murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies