Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 06:44 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
My point was, these two kids, Martin and Cruz would have been arrested if the schools policys weren't implemented.
NICS checks are only as good as the data submitted.
They realized this with the ex AF guy who had other than honorable discharge. If entered, the NICS would have flagged him.
Dylan Roof would have been flagged, but legally allowed to buy as he had a pending felony charge. Due Process, as he wasn't guilty.
FBI is overwhelmed nationwide, we know that.
The ones that aren't overwhelmed, friends and family.. Family intervention should be more than a text.
Here is the problem. No one wants to listen.
Years ago, when my daughter was in HS she ended up dating a guy that is exactly the same as what they are describing about Cruz. This kid was creepy , but super intelligent, but was diagnosed as bi polar, schizophrenia and anger issues. We did not know it at the time , but it manifested itself. We later found that he had bounced around from foster home to foster home and ended up with his aunt and uncle. They didn't seem to care to much what he did. He was bullied in school and always seemed to be getting in fights. As things progressed we started paying more attention. We were monitoring their texts and he didn't like taking his meds , so he quit them. He got controlling and even defied us several times. One of his texts he was angry about something and made a comment about what was going to happen in school the next day. So the wife and I went and talked to the counselor and principal. When it was done and over with, they made us feel like the bad people, and basically told us to mind our own business. We then went and talked with the aunt and uncle and got the same treatment.

Flash forward to now. Our daughter has been apart from him for years but it nearly ruined our relationship with her. His goal of joining the military didn't happen due to his illnesses. He is out of state but our daughter hears things and sees stuff on FB. He has gotten into guns and has bought several. Personally, I think it is only a matter of time before he does something. Sadly, I'm sure my wife , daughter and I will probably be on his target list.
This is a perfect example of someone that should not be able to purchase and or own a firearm.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:45 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Three things.

Make #4 free and available to all people. Don't require them to have to pay someone else to do it for them. Further, firmly define transfers. There are some who see a transfer as the passing of a gun between shooters while out on a hunt or at the range.

#6 is questionable for how are you going to provide defense for the 18-21 adult who is living on their own? Let's face it, an 18-21 year old woman is quite an attractive target to men (and there have been enough men of that age who have suffered similar fates). They are living on their own as adults; how do they defend themselves?

As far as #3, at least define what constitutes "lost". Shrug, I had a pistol, a WWII one, perhaps an M1910, that wasn't in the main safe, but I was pretty sure it was just somewhere else in the move. Sure enough, a few months later, it showed up in a cardboard box, in its locked case.

A "transfer" means the transfer of ownership, not the transfer of control of the weapon. My wife does not "own" any of my weapons, but has access to use them if needed.

For #3, unless your M1910 shows up as part of a crime then "no harm no foul".

I don't have an answer for your response to #6. There are more weapons for self defense than firearms. Tasers, knives, clubs?

Old 02-20-2018, 06:47 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
States do not have the right to violate the bill of rights. Nothing legal about this, no way it will stand.
It already did. The Supreme Court said the Safe Act is ok.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:48 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
The fact that there is such a law is enough. People won't take their AR-15s out of the house. They'll be curiosity items, like the kitsch in the china cabinet.

In NY, the Safe Act has done its part even though some provisions are ignored. The word is out: illegal weapons will get you in trouble and once the trouble starts it will only get worse the more is found out.

Most people are law biding citizens. The won't publicly flout laws especially if they might go to jail.

The sickening thing is it targeted law abiding citizens and made them felons for possessing something they've already purchase and own. What did it do for criminals ? Remember when it went into law, they had to quickly draft and amendment because the LEO's were breaking it due to their duty weapons carrying more rounds then was lawful. Talk about a knee jerk asinine feel good law... SMH

Old 02-20-2018, 06:48 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,089,994 times
Best of luck to small pockets of militia in rural America, armed with rifles, against the US Military. That isn't going to end well for them.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:52 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
The sickening thing is it targeted law abiding citizens and made them felons for possessing something they've already purchase and own. What did it do for criminals ? Remember when it went into law, they had to quickly draft and amendment because the LEO's were breaking it due to their duty weapons carrying more rounds then was lawful. Talk about a knee jerk asinine feel good law... SMH
I know Scarabschuck. Laws often have to be changed once passed. Cuomo, the legislature couldn't act fast enough to pass it. With predictable results.

Measure once, cut twice.

But, now that it's in force, it works. Some people are inconvenienced, some are aggrieved. Like all laws, not everyone is happy. But people have gotten used to it, adapted, and it's no longer a big deal.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:52 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Best of luck to small pockets of militia in rural America, armed with rifles, against the US Military. That isn't going to end well for them.
Whose to say? Historically, well formed militias fighting on their own soil have been quite effective at staving off US invaders.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:53 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Right, wrong or otherwise, Milennials might be the ones to make some measure of Gun Control a reality once they're old enough to vote, boycott, and lobby. It would be fair to say their generation has witnessed enough of these tragedies over the short span of their lives.

Florida school shooting: Students to march on Washington - BBC News
I'll be there in Washington and will be on the lookout for Russian-speaking activists! This will all fizzle-out very soon.
Maybe we'll be blessed by Michael Moore's appearance! That always adds cred!
There are enough right-thinking young people out here that won't allow themselves to be railroaded by the anti-gun Left.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:54 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What makes the seizures of guns and bump stocks ect... is that people who abide by the law will be the only ones giving up the AR 15’s and the bump stocks.

I’m not a gun owner nor am I a gun expert. But this just seems really dumb.
It seem REALLY dumb because no one has suggested it.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:54 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
A "transfer" means the transfer of ownership, not the transfer of control of the weapon. My wife does not "own" any of my weapons, but has access to use them if needed.

For #3, unless your M1910 shows up as part of a crime then "no harm no foul".

I don't have an answer for your response to #6. There are more weapons for self defense than firearms. Tasers, knives, clubs?
True enough on #6 but let's keep something in mind here.

Part of our current problem may be that the young are seeing a society that does not have their best interests at heart.

How would you feel if there was a serial killer running around, say the one last year in Florida, you were a 19 year old woman, and the State would not allow you to have deadly force to use against someone, who if encountered, clearly wants to do you in, either as a hard or soft (ie, rape) kill?

Just look at it from the tactical standpoint; do you want to have to fight that life threatening fight at point blank range or would you rather tell "him" at 15 yards "Go AWAY!"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies