Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 07:04 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,994,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
That's the way it should work. I have my doubts about people who own or defend owning AR-15s. The only thing they're the best at is killing a lot of people quickly. People who think they're "cool" are just one step away from some really terrible outcome.

NY has a strict gun control law. They call it the Safe Act. When they came out with it I was opposed. Now I see it was a good idea and necessary. It has a lot of pain in the butt things for gun owners about relicensing, magazine size, stuff I don't understand. Overall, it's a good idea.

If FL had a Safe Act those kids would be alive today.
Pretty ridiculous statement with absolutely zero basis in fact or reality. I'm more concerned with people like you who stereotype, then use those stereotypes to demonize innocent people than I am with lawful citizens owning guns.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:06 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,802,208 times
I respond in kind. When you make assertions worthy of reply I will. Till then, "No, you" will do.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:08 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,610,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Pretty ridiculous statement with absolutely zero basis in fact or reality. I'm more concerned with people like you who stereotype, then use those stereotypes to demonize innocent people than I am with lawful citizens owning guns.
What doesn't make sense? Troyfan said; That tens of millions of American citizens that own only this one particular style of rifle are "just one step away" from becoming mass murderers?

Wow, when I type it out, it looks even more ridiculous.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:11 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,802,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Many of these AR-15 guys are, "Hey. Want to see what I've got?" (More likely "What I got", but no matter.)

Then they go to the garage, oogle the thing a bit, and go out back and blow up some pumpkins. It's the highpoint of their day if not life.

Setting these people off is dangerous in the best of circumstances. A handy AR-15 can turn it into the worst of circumstances pretty quickly.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:13 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,610,574 times
Quote:
I respond in kind. When you make assertions worthy of reply I will. Till then, "No, you" will do.
I didn't make any assertions. I am outright saying that you are "one step away" from being a bald faced liar. Regarding your lack of knowledge on this magic rifle you keep pretending to know about, as well as your fictitious imaginings of the millions of owners of said magic rifle, you already took that step.

Quote:
Many of these AR-15 guys are, "Hey. Want to see what I've got?" (More likely "What I got", but no matter.)

Then they go to the garage, oogle the thing a bit, and go out back and blow up some pumpkins. It's the highpoint of their day if not life.

Setting these people off is dangerous in the best of circumstances. A handy AR-15 can turn it into the worst of circumstances pretty quickly.
You honestly sound as if you have some serious issues comprehending reality, as well as a large amount of very insecure faulty pride , based of your view of other people that you have no actual knowledge of.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,994,539 times
Quote:

Like I said, you have a grossly uninformed stereotype and you want to use it to demonize people. Nothing you wrote in either of these two retorts is based in fact, and even if they do just like them because they are cool, your assumption that they now want to go be dangers to society is just ridiculous. You obviously have hatred for people with different lifestyles and views than your own, and again I find people like you way more dangerous than a guy who just wants to live his life without judging what makes you happy or what you think is cool.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:21 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,825,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
I didn't make any assertions. I am outright saying that you are "one step away" from being a bald faced liar. Regarding your lack of knowledge on this magic rifle you keep pretending to know about, as well as your fictitious imaginings of the millions of owners of said magic rifle, you already took that step.
Most people really don't give a rip about the technical aspects of these rifles. Thats far less important (in fact, almost meaningless) especially give their capability of killing large numbers of people very quickly. And thats what people care about.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Oh right. We've all heard these slippery slope arguments before. Didn't buy them then, don't buy them now. When we passed the laws last century to ban automatic weapons, did that precipitate "revisiting a person's right to be presumed innocent"? We are a nation of laws. You can characterize that as being a "nanny state" if you wish, but I want to live in a country where we have common sense laws to protect all of us. I don't want people free to drive 100 miles per hour on the Interstate for example, that's why we have speed limits. Do you think that is a "nanny state" restriction?

Most people WANT common sense restrictions on what we can and cannot do. Extending the gun laws to semi-autos and other gun technologies that permit the rapid slaughter of human beings for most people is a no-brainer.
You are correct <bold>. It takes no brain whatsoever to just shout "ban 'em" like that will fix everything...

Old 02-19-2018, 07:24 AM

29,575 posts, read 14,725,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Most people really don't give a rip about the technical aspects of these rifles. Thats far less important (in fact, almost meaningless) especially give their capability of killing large numbers of people very quickly. And thats what people care about.

If you are backing a restriction on something you damn well better know the specifics. Ignoring specifics is just using emotion in the decision making.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:25 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,825,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You are correct <bold>. It takes no brain whatsoever to just shout "ban 'em" like that will fix everything...
How do you know it wouldn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies