Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 07:13 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,943,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Nice to meet you. Tell us exactly what law you propose. We have time.
Lets look at countries that successfully have much lower firearm death rates and follow there laws. Guns are not totally banned in the UK or Canada you can still have hunting rifles and the like its just more restrictive and as such it is much safer place to live. Of course those countries don't have a reactionary class that fights any and all change so it may be a tall order for the US to implement sane laws.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:13 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
My daughter has moved out and she has an apt. She took her pistol with her. Her shotgun and rifles are here, still in her closet.

Good for her. I hope she chose a safe neighborhood and a high rise building. If she lives in a garden apartment, she shouldn't choose a first floor unit.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:14 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Must be really bad shots/have bad aim!
Ever hear of a sounder? Look it up.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:15 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I spend time at the range and take training classes. I don't need 30 rounds but I want them. In fact, I have a few dozen extra mags just in case 30 rounds isn't enough.
Seriously. It took me three trips to the range to get 500-rounds through a new G19.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:15 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I know Scarabschuck. Laws often have to be changed once passed. Cuomo, the legislature couldn't act fast enough to pass it. With predictable results.

Measure once, cut twice.

But, now that it's in force, it works. Some people are inconvenienced, some are aggrieved. Like all laws, not everyone is happy. But people have gotten used to it, adapted, and it's no longer a big deal.

To you it is. Reality is different. Now I will admit, it does address a couple of things that we should implement country wide. Stricter sentences , the universal background check and the mental health reporting (although a bit over reaching) are good things. The rest is BS.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...rking/7613939/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...e-act/4430741/

Seems like there is a lot of flack against it.
New law would repeal SAFE Act in Upstate NY, everywhere but NYC | NewYorkUpstate.com

Old 02-20-2018, 07:17 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,943,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Don't forget 7400, sks, AK-47, .22 remington repeater.... aw shucks there isn't enough time to place them all here. But you guys keep chasing the 15.
Why do you feel the need to own more than a handful of high powered weapons? Seriously why are you that paranoid about your protection?

Old 02-20-2018, 07:17 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Most people are not car thieves either, but dealerships still keep all the keys to their inventory locked up. How many millions of LEGAL gun owners keep their weapon in an unlocked drawer or in the open where a criminal can steal it? The laws are just "feel good" measures to make it look like the government is doing something.
Owning a car and stealing a car are very different things. Owning a gun and stealing a gun, or owning one you aren't supposed to have (convicted felon gangbangers in Chicago, Baltimore, Camden, Compton, etc.) are also very different things. Why go after law-abiders when those who violate the law are the problem?

Old 02-20-2018, 07:18 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
This reminds me of those "Eric Holder is coming for my guns " threads.

Nobody is coming for your guns. No me will ever come for your guns.

Relax now and remember to take your meds before you go to sleep.

Then what's the point of all this talk about banning the AR15 or other semi automatic weapons?

What good is a "ban" without confiscation of the hundreds of millions of weapons that function the same way as an AR15 that are already in the hands of American citizens?

Old 02-20-2018, 07:19 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,241,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I am all for the 2nd amendment, but can propose some ideas to make the use of firearms for other than self-defense less likely.

1. USE of a gun for offensive purposes (robbery, brandishing, threatening) will incur a sentence of 5 years in jail. A federal law should be passed that prevents prosecutors from dropping the weapons charge during sentencing to get a guilty plea.

2. FIRING a gun during the commission of a crime either in the air or at a person or object will incur an additional 10 years in jail.

3. Non-reporting of a lost or stolen firearm will incur a $10K fine to the owner if the serial numbers of the weapon are not provided to law enforcement.

4. ALL transfers or sales of any weapon that requires a background check will require the same background check for any subsequent owners. No more straw man purchases. No alleged gun show loophole. You sell a handgun to a friend or want to give it as a gift to your kids they must pass a background check.

5. HIPPA laws should be amended so that mental health records are provided to law enforcement to be part of the background check.

6. Ownership of any firearm is restricted to people over 21 years of age. Anyone under 21 must be supervised by an adult. Parents and/or guardians should be interviewed as part of the background check if the person wants to maintain ownership after 21.
In regards to #5, a mentally unstable person too dangerous to own a firearm is too dangerous to be free.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:19 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,591,520 times
The premise that Baby Boomers should be concerned with how Millennials will run the country is laughable on its face. No generation of Americans has done less with so much. I can’t think of many ways Boomers could have economically and socially raped this country and screwed younger generations if the had purposefully tried to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies