Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 07:39 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,599,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Yes eventually you'll have to get a job and save up for retirement yourself.
I have an advanced degree, a great job and retirement savings. Unlike Boomers I don’t want my generation to saddle my kids and grandkids with huge debt because I’m not selfish

Old 02-20-2018, 07:40 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,361,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
They aren't. And they do need a reminder that they are not periodically. Governments are just people - only that - just like everyone else.
Fully agreed on the 3rd sentence. I don't agree that the people giving orders and taking others money by force are the servants, and the people they're ruling over are the masters (even if they can vote - suggest who the master should be).

I think we'd both agree that they're not rightfully our masters. I prefer no master/subject relationship.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:41 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,599,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Just tell me please in how many gunfights did you participate?
Because I'v been in a lot, most of them in houses, during operation Homat Magen, second Lebanon War, Gaza wars.
And when you fight against few armed people in a house you need sometimes much more than 30 rounds, specially when you don't have grenades.
For example, to evacuate your family from the window against an attacking force you need to fire suppression fire (not sure how is it in English), just to get them out.
You really don't know what are you talking about, huh?
Where do you live that multiple armed home invaders coming to get you and your family is a realistic concern?

Old 02-20-2018, 07:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,723,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Good for her. I hope she chose a safe neighborhood and a high rise building. If she lives in a garden apartment, she shouldn't choose a first floor unit.
She bought it when she was 16. Who says you have to be 21 to own a pistol? Oh, that is just to buy one new from a dealer.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 AM

34,262 posts, read 18,641,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Where do you live that multiple armed home invaders coming to get you and your family is a realistic concern?
It doesn't matter where you live. Violent crime, especially burglaries happen in affluent areas. I don't live in fear, because it probably won't happen to me, but I am prepared. Also, I don't expect my house to burn down, but I stull carry home owners insurance. Citizens have the right to self defense, and defend of their homes with any legal means available.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 AM

4,964 posts, read 2,249,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
REALLY?

I find that interesting since two of them are NERF guns...
One could choke on a NERF bullet.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:46 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,712,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Sounds like Massachusetts and Maryland! Get pulled over in Maryland with an AR in your trunk and the cops will ruin your day and likely confiscate it. That's the Democratic way!
You do know the Governor of Maryland is a Republican ,right.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:48 AM

21,493 posts, read 10,611,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Israel, obviously.

27,294 posts, read 13,563,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
In regards to #5, a mentally unstable person too dangerous to own a firearm is too dangerous to be free.
There are many types of mental health problems, and many people make a full recovery from mental illness. However just because you have mental health problems does not mean you should automatically be locked away. Furthermore given that the US has very few mental health beds per capita it would be impossible to offer all such people treatment without vastly increasing tax expenditure on mental health services and osychiatric hospitals.

The Police in the UK take the following position in relation to mental health issues and a person's 'fitness' to be entrusted with a firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Police

Unsound mind

This is a particularly difficult and sensitive area and it is not possible to provide a definition which covers every eventuality. It is simply not practical for a psychiatric assessment to be carried out on each applicant, to check on a state of mind with particular attention to that person's suitability to possess firearms.

However, a Chief Officer of Police must be alert to any situation where an applicant or existing certificate holder has exhibited, or is exhibiting signs of depression, suicidal tendencies, long-standing or intermittent periods of either emotional instability or unpredictable behaviour.

This would include persons who had been detained under the civil powers of the Mental Health Act 1983 on the basis of their behaviour posing a risk to the public. Particular attention will be paid to anyone who has previously been subject to a hospital order, guardianship order or restriction order, under the provisions of the same Act, following the commission of offences

Although there is no correlation between periods of imprisonment and periods of detention under the Mental Health Act, it is important for the nature of such offences and the length of such orders to be examined in depth, in these situations.

It should be borne in mind that simply because a person has received treatment in the past for certain illnesses such as depression, it does not automatically follow that they are unfit to possess a firearm now. It is simply one of the many factors to be considered in the light of all other evidence relating to the applicant's character and history.

Fitness to be Entrusted with Firearms - Durham Constabulary

78,863 posts, read 46,723,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
You do know the Governor of Maryland is a Republican ,right.

You do know, party labels are only there to confuse the ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies