Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 07:56 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Last year, NYC had a gun homocide rate of 39 per million, slightly less than a quarter of the national rate, despite a much greater population density.

My priorities are about preserving the lives of others. I have never been scared that I would be shot. I think that there is only one real way to prevent children and innocent people (and even not-so-innocent people) from being gunned down

But your offer is kind and sounds like fun.
Sadly you do not know what the one way actually is...........

Old 11-14-2017, 07:56 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Of course the fact that you bring up cars and steak knives just proves that you have no interest in actual solutions, so don't pretend that you do.

And don't worry, America has shown that we can gun down little kids in school and people at concerts and people in church and Americans are perfectly fine with it. No one will touch your precious guns.
There are no actual solutions. Confiscation won’t work, nor would it ever happen. There’s that pesky “shall not be infringed” language in the 2nd Amendment. And if by some miracle we managed to get enough votes to repeal the 2nd Amendment, where would those guns go?

The only thing that might work is if the media refused to name the perpetrator and go on endlessly about every thought he ever had. Starve these guys of the attention they crave and maybe they’ll stop trying to outdo the last mass shooter. Talk endlessly about the victims, not the shooter.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:58 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
There are no actual solutions. Confiscation won’t work, nor would it ever happen. There’s that pesky “shall not be infringed” language in the 2nd Amendment. And if by some miracle we managed to get enough votes to repeal the 2nd Amendment, where would those guns go?

The only thing that might work is if the media refused to name the perpetrator and go on endlessly about every thought he ever had. Starve these guys of the attention they crave and maybe they’ll stop trying to outdo the last mass shooter. Talk endlessly about the victims, not the shooter.
The media has their first amendment rights as well.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:58 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
You’re right. It hasn’t worked elsewhere.
You say comparing cars to guns is stupid, so is comparing other countries with absolutely no inalienable right to owning firearms.

You know you lost an argument when you compare countries, Lmao

Old 11-14-2017, 07:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSant View Post
Now that you mention it, I wonder if eventually we'll be hearing about a massacre taking place at parks such as Disneyland, Epcot Center, Sea World and others...is it only a matter of time?
All major theme parks in Orlando have very sensitive metal detectors for people and their bags. They also have dogs and routinely search bags. This can add 30 minutes to the time it takes to get into the park during busy periods. Sea World was relying on sanding but may have since acquired/ installed metal detectors.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:00 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
If you compare guns and cars, you are stupid.

Look up false equivalence. The primary function of a gun is to kill something. The primary function of a vehicle is to drive although sometimes you can be killed in one or by one. Huge difference in not only primary function but availability and use every single day. I realize some of you retards love to make that false equivalence leap but you should refrain from making yourself look like a moron..
the primary function of a firearm is to discharge a projectile at a target. It requires a person and their intent on what they target.
Same with a car or truck etc. It is the person behind the wheel that can target someone or something and use the vehicle as a 3k+ pound projectile. Correct?

Can't be too retarded to know that what makes a firearm discharge or a car crash is the person in control of it...

Quote:
As for guns, I support closing the gun show loop holes and require background checks for all firearm sales including private transactions. I'm also in favor of removing the right to bear arms for those that are convicted of domestic violence in addition to anyone with a restraining order on them.
Those are already federal laws.
I've yet to see a firearm retailer at a gun show sell a firearm without a background check or 4473 filled out. There is no loophole at gun shows. None that I've been to anyway...

Quote:
I'd also remove the gun rights for those that house said people on their property. So if you son is mental, no guns for you until he moves out. I'm also in favor of requiring a firearms class for gun ownership.
Some states have that as law. NY is one.

Quote:
Otherwise I am in favor of CCW and would like to see them expanded nationally for every single state at the federal level.

The idea of banning limiting clip size any further or removing semi automatic rifles isn't going to change much of anything in our society. We can do a better job of keeping some nuts from getting guns though and do a better job of limiting sales via FFL dealers so people can't skirt background checks.

Possession of a stolen firearm needs to be a much more serious crime as well and not just a tacked on sentence.
So then your problem is with our weak and flawed justice system.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:05 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Makes a good argument for armed teachers and staff at schools.
No children died

The dead were adults who may or may not have been armed.

This happened in a vary rural community where gun ownership is common.

Sounds like the shooter was local guy.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 11-14-2017 at 09:16 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 08:09 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
9mm feels like a paintball. 223 HURTS.

I did speedball a long time ago. Had an Angel that cost more than an AR. Had a Tipmann that looked similar to an AR.

It's not a dream nor fantasy. Simple declaration I am willing to act against evil. Can hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Become a police officer? I wouldn't last long on the force. I'd be pulling people over to give them ice cream not tickets and pull up to parks and play football with kids and work on removing that whole notion cops are dicks.

That and it would be awfully hard to keep from taking a child molester or a rapist or a wife beater in without beating the brakes off of them first or letting their victim and their spouse/parents/loved ones a few free shots.
Yea but my point is you taking a couple paintball centered active shooter drills dos not prepare you for the real deal. The sounds, the smells. Ever seen a cavitation wound caused by a real 223 round? Ever seen it on a child? So see that then smell the cordite and blood. Hear the screams and the shots going off in an open area and you don’t know where they’re coming from. Are those shooter rounds or responding rounds from your guys!

Now make the right decision as a shadow passes in front of you and turns. Once you make the decision, hit the target.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:12 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
You say comparing cars to guns is stupid, so is comparing other countries with absolutely no inalienable right to owning firearms.

You know you lost an argument when you compare countries, Lmao
You argued that criminals will commit crimes with guns even if they are outlawed. I pointed out that criminals in other counties have not done so, by and large, which disproves your theory. Is the psyche of a criminal in a country where you could bear arms as recently as 20 years ago different than that of an American criminal? How so?

Old 11-14-2017, 08:22 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Schools have people in them all day long.
I expect more churches and concerts coming up the pike. Then we will have the Disneyland and other such massacres. You simply cannot have tens of millions of angry people walking around with tens of millions of firearms and expect a peaceful society.

Well, it's not tens of millions of people going bug s***. This and the TX incident both involved people who had committed crimes that forfeited their right to own firearms. that means that if he had guns prior to these crimes the police had the right to kick in his door and take them.

Which in both cases should have been done. The TX shooter was never even put on record which is a key element in the current BC requirement working as it should. It works most of the time, but LE and other agencies can't drop the ball like this. It's not legal gun owners or the NRA who has any blood on their hands here.

The system allowed violent offenders access to firearms they should not have had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies