Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Al Franken Resign
Yes 165 55.00%
No 82 27.33%
Not sure/maybe/depends/other 53 17.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 11:34 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,651,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I have said since the Trump "accusation" week, that half of the male talking heads, politicians, and Hollywood stars that were acting all appalled have probably been guilty of the same thing at least once. That's the sad part is that one by one those who ridiculed and pretended to be above the accused, were actually part of the problem and doing the same thing.

They would have been better off, instead of acting all shocked and appalled at such behavior, stated that "hey, in the past I may have acted in this same offensive manner but now realize how unacceptable it was and is...." just that line would have saved many men in the coming future a lot of hassle. Its about to get ugly.
Agreed 100%. These rich celebrities and politicians act like they've never done anything questionable in their lives. If they were simply like "man, back in college, I did stupid things but now I realize how dumb I was and ...yada yada", then I can take these guys semi-seriously.

But the ones who keep going ON and ON and ON about it, acting like they've been saints their entire lives....you know it's just their guilty conscience talking and trying to cover up their own wrongdoings.

Best to just keep their mouths shut instead of trying to preach to people.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:35 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,024,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Bye bye Franken-----you funny guy! You'll be consumed by legal fees for the rest of your life!
I think, he has a habit of making rude funny jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJOAGILeiAY

Old 11-16-2017, 11:36 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post

I bet had he shutup with all the sexual assault stuff the past few weeks, this wouldn't really even be an issue.
Absolutely - certain events occur that have caused lots of victims to finally speak out after staying silent for many years.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:36 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,562,839 times
Leeann Tweeden is on TV right now, giving an account.

Looks bad for Franken.

A political death sentence?

Let's see.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:37 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,960,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post

Wow, that is just NOT funny.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:38 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,810,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Personally, I think Franken is an extremely good Senator, but as a human being he's often a nasty, disrespectful creep. You don't see much of that in his public persona, but if you live in Minnesota as long as I did (and hang in the circles I did) you hear enough of the stories to develop a picture of who he is. He tends to have a lot of "unguarded moments" when he's home on weekends, and I'll just leave it at that.

I wouldn't be surprised if more stories like this come out about Franken. In fact, I'll be a little surprised if they don't. This is the big reason I roll my eyes whenever someone starts talking about running him for President - if he ever steps out under that spotlight, he'll get illuminated a lot more intensely than he has been as a Senator. I don't think his "off-camera" personal life would stand up very well under the microscope. He is not the warm, kindhearted character he often seems to be when making a speech.
Thanks for the hometown perspective.

I think he's done a really good job when I've seen him in Senate hearings, but that's all I really know about him. I have heard him talk about his wife's alcoholism and he always comes across as down to earth.

My guess is that a lot of these people are not so nice in real life.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:40 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,651,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post

This is really gross, but honestly, I can't get mad about his jokes as a comedian. Especially a roast, most comedians say the most foul stuff to get a ruse from the crowd.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:44 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
I heard that Franken wrote a skit on SNL, which was never used (gee, wonder why) where he drugged Leslie Stahl and arranged her body, took pictures, then raped her.

Clearly he got his chance to live out the first part of that fantasy.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:44 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTerp94 View Post
The photo provided makes it EXTREMELY clear that it was a staged photo meant as a joke...look carefully. There are shadows under his hands, indicating he wasn't actually touching her.
As far as the kiss dunno. But I agree with what you're saying on the photo. Granted we don't know what happened before or after. "Accidental" slip maybe? Juvenile to put oneself in a position like that.

But that was in his "comedian days". He wasn't in office. This guy basically went from entertainer to politician. It does look bad image wise. No groping proof. He stays imo.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:47 AM

613 posts, read 815,689 times
I have admired Frankin over the years, but he seems to have acknowledged this is true, so **** yes he needs to resign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies