Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 10:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Apparently someone in California is pushing an initiative to allow people without children to escape paying school taxes.

California proposal: No kids? Then don't pay school taxes | Fox News

Interesting idea. I think public education in this country has gone into the toilet. And I don't have kids, so if this caught on, I'd financially benefit. But this would likely collapse what's left of public education. And if you think society is unraveling now, just wait to see what the results of that would be.
I don't use the military, so I want to opt out of paying for that. Same with the Veteran's Administration, I don't use any of that.

I likely won't see Medicare or Social Security, so I want to opt-out of paying for those. (btw, if this happened it would mean current retirees won't be getting any more checks)

I don't use NASA or food stamps or the department of the interior, so take those out of my federal income tax calculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 10:04 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's not about anything you said. None of it.
What I said is what schools do. FFS, Thomas Jefferson went all-out to establish public schools in Virginia.

No nation has great minds to spare, and if we don't look for and groom talent, we will miss out. Look at the nations that are getting ready to shoulder out the US and ask yourself if they are skimping out on education.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:12 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
I've never used the fire department, and growing up as a kid i don't recall my parents ever using the fire department

Therefore I shouldn't pay for taxes that fund the fire department
In freer times, people paid to have their property protected. Badges of those times still hang on older properties in Philadelphia Now we have a protection racket run by a monopolized provider that everyone must use. Have to love monopolies (especially those that force you to pay for those that don't)

Old 11-20-2017, 10:14 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
In freer times, people paid to have their property protected. Badges of those times still hang on older properties in Philadelphia Now we have a protection racket run by a monopolized provider that everyone must use. Have to love monopolies (especially those that force you to pay for those that don't)
Do you know why we decided to make away with those?

Old 11-20-2017, 10:15 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
I guess if your poor tough luck right? Your ultimate freedom would benefit the wealthy and hurt the poor even more.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:53 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
In my area a new regional tech school was voted for and approved. The old one was falling apart at 50 years old. The new one will cost 160 million with the state paying about 30 million of that. Between the several towns that send approx 650 kids to this school the price per student is high. Yes we need to have young people that get into the trades and most are good paying jobs but I think we all need to do more with less.

The answer in America is to tear down old places that for some reason have not been taken care of over the years and spend millions on building it again.

I just wonder how many decades it will be before this new school is deemed unfit and will be taken down?

We all need to invest in the future and the future is kids but somehow I can't see the slack jawed kid with his pants below his butt taking care of me when I'm old.

The answer always seems to be raising taxes. That won't work someday soon. They need to make their budgets work today.
What the *&^%%$!!! I quote parts of schools all day. Typical cost for a new school of that size **IN NJ** 15-25 with a few outliers (BIG) in the 40 million range. 650 kids is NOT big. Damn cant find my bid results document for examples.

Someone is getting a yacht in Cape Cod.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:08 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
By insisting that doctors know a spleen from a gallbladder and jailing snake-oil salesmen, sure.
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...eath-in-the-us

Quote:
Medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the U.S., after heart disease and cancer, causing at least 250,000 deaths every year, according to an analysis out Tuesday indicating that patient safety efforts fall far short.

"People don't just die from heart attacks and bacteria, they die from system-wide failings and poorly coordinated care," says the study's lead author, Dr. Martin Makary, a professor of surgery and health policy at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. "It's medical care gone awry."

Old 11-20-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yea I think I'll take my chances with someone who went to Medical School over some witch doctor herbalist. More and more libertarians and anarchists seem to be advocating a return to the past erasing all the progress we have made all under the guise of wanting to increase freedom.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:27 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Yea I think I'll take my chances with someone who went to Medical School over some witch doctor herbalist.
Whats your point?

Old 11-20-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Whats your point?
That removing regulations on our doctors is a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies