Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:19 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,142,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
A hipster is basically just another term for a liberal yuppie. They are some of the most discriminatory, close minded people you will ever meet.
Versus your typical conservative Trump supporter who is open and accepting of all religions, nationalities, and sexual preferences. /sarcasm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 12:36 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,485,679 times
Oh noooo! Hipsters make racist jokes?! "Ironic racism" at least has the intended purpose of diffusing stereotypes.

But anyway, I love how everyone acts like minorities don't make racist jokes. About white people --- AND other minorities.

Most everyone always only seems to get upset when some group THEY identify with is the butt of a racial or ethnic joke. But make no mistake - ALL communities poke fun of everyone else. And most of the time it's no big deal. There IS a difference between jokes and hatred. Intent is key.

White liberals generally have no experience growing up in an immigrant family or community, for example, or growing up in a minority community. So they can be excused for thinking only white people make ethnic jokes. But minorities who pretend their family and friends don't make fun of others and like to lament the white racists telling inappropriate jokes are disingenuous at best, liars at worst.

I'd say some light hearted racial jokes and banter between ethnic groups are a hallmark of a diverse community that actually respects one another. If you can TRADE ethnic jokes in a fun manner (instead of trying to be mean or hurt someone's feelings of course), it actually shows that you believe that person is your equal.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:37 PM

45,674 posts, read 24,155,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
A hipster is basically just another term for a liberal yuppie. They are some of the most discriminatory, close minded people you will ever meet.

So I have no doubt some of them are racist. I have seen where these people hang out, trust me there isn't a black or hispanic person in sight for 10 miles
Bull on that -- hipster does not denote any political affiliation -- there are liberal and conservative hippies.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:37 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,614,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Oh it's a big deal...not that the friend is dating a black person or has the mixed race child but that they get to be so openly cool with it. There is no higher form of virtue signaling. I know a hipster type woman who posts pictures on facebook every time her kids hang out with her friend's mixed race kids. "Look at me! I'm being tolerant!" She doesn't do this when they hang out with other white kids.
Cool story bro.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:40 PM

A hipster has one of those big beards, drinks craft beer, likes avocado toast and could vote for Trump as easily as he could vote for Clinton. It isn't a liberal thing - -it's a trendy thing and conservatives are trendy too. LOL. If you don't think so -- come to the south I'll show you some conservative hipsters. Ugh.

And I'll show you some liberal red necks.

People come in all shapes and sizes and political affiliations.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:43 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,485,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Bull on that -- hipster does not denote any political affiliation -- there are liberal and conservative hippies.
Hipster also doesn't have a racial component either

Old 11-20-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Hipster also doesn't have a racial component either
Yes -- you are right.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:55 PM

8,444 posts, read 4,782,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Cool story bro.

umad?

Old 11-20-2017, 12:57 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,614,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
umad?
Mad at what?

Old 11-20-2017, 01:00 PM

13,694 posts, read 20,862,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Oh noooo! Hipsters make racist jokes?! "Ironic racism" at least has the intended purpose of diffusing stereotypes.

But anyway, I love how everyone acts like minorities don't make racist jokes. About white people --- AND other minorities.

Most everyone always only seems to get upset when some group THEY identify with is the butt of a racial or ethnic joke. But make no mistake - ALL communities poke fun of everyone else. And most of the time it's no big deal. There IS a difference between jokes and hatred. Intent is key.

White liberals generally have no experience growing up in an immigrant family or community, for example, or growing up in a minority community. So they can be excused for thinking only white people make ethnic jokes. But minorities who pretend their family and friends don't make fun of others and like to lament the white racists telling inappropriate jokes are disingenuous at best, liars at worst.

I'd say some light hearted racial jokes and banter between ethnic groups are a hallmark of a diverse community that actually respects one another. If you can TRADE ethnic jokes in a fun manner (instead of trying to be mean or hurt someone's feelings of course), it actually shows that you believe that person is your equal.

Some of those jokes about white people are quite funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies