Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 08:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
I've posted many times on here about fake liberals. They just like to dress like hipsters and they are cool with being "down" with the causes as long as they are out in front. But they are just as racist as any klan member and they keep an n-word in the chamber and will use it faster than anybody. And they'll hide behind jokes or they think they've built up enough racism "credit" that it should be okay. Like I've said before, as soon as you ask a fake liberal to let an actual minority lead their own cause, watch how they switch up.

fake liberals=hipster racism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Yep. As someone who is a millennial and is living in DC and visit NYC frequently, I see this ALL the time. They'll pull the race card on you in a heartbeat when something doesn't go their way or don't fit their narrative. As a black 31 year old male, it's the story of my life.

And that last sentence is so true. They get so offended. It's kinda hilarious.
ITA with the above.

Due to my previous work, I was around a lot of white liberals, hipster types who were involved in volunteerism or some organization/group who was doing some sort of project in specific neighborhoods.

I especially agree with the bold but I wouldn't call those people "fake liberals" (taking fake to mean not "real" liberals).

I do think they are politically liberal, but they also are racist, plain and simple.

This sort of thing is as old as apple pie BTW. I speak frequently of my historical crush Frederick Douglass. He experienced the same as the bold with William Lloyd Garrison - a white liberal who I would not consider "fake." Douglass left Garrison due to the paternalism and control that Garrison wanted to exert over his activities and activism. Unfortunately a lot of whites back then and today, even if they are liberal politically have an inferior view of blacks and our abilities to 1 - know more about ourselves/our experiences than they do and 2 - our ability to lead our own lives without their "help" or input/advice. Consciously or subconsciously, they believe that we are less capable (meaning inferior) than they are.

It doesn't matter the political lean. This has always been a "thing" in America and contrary to what many whites seem to believe, we blacks have always known this to be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 11:57 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
ITA with the above.

Due to my previous work, I was around a lot of white liberals, hipster types who were involved in volunteerism or some organization/group who was doing some sort of project in specific neighborhoods.

I especially agree with the bold but I wouldn't call those people "fake liberals" (taking fake to mean not "real" liberals).

I do think they are politically liberal, but they also are racist, plain and simple.

This sort of thing is as old as apple pie BTW. I speak frequently of my historical crush Frederick Douglass. He experienced the same as the bold with William Lloyd Garrison - a white liberal who I would not consider "fake." Douglass left Garrison due to the paternalism and control that Garrison wanted to exert over his activities and activism. Unfortunately a lot of whites back then and today, even if they are liberal politically have an inferior view of blacks and our abilities to 1 - know more about ourselves/our experiences than they do and 2 - our ability to lead our own lives without their "help" or input/advice. Consciously or subconsciously, they believe that we are less capable (meaning inferior) than they are.

It doesn't matter the political lean. This has always been a "thing" in America and contrary to what many whites seem to believe, we blacks have always known this to be the case.
Yep. I rep this post 100%.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:18 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,140,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
A hipster is basically just another term for a liberal yuppie. They are some of the most discriminatory, close minded people you will ever meet.

So I have no doubt some of them are racist. I have seen where these people hang out, trust me there isn't a black or hispanic person in sight for 10 miles
I dont think there is anything liberal about Yuppies.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:29 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Got any proof of this? Or are you justmaking up stuff because you hate liberals and hipsters?

I'll wait.
It's happened to me a couple of times. And I've seen it happen to a couple other black people that I know in social settings. They like to dress like hipsters and convince people that they are liberal or whatever they'll drop an n-word without hesitation. Some of the most consistently non-racist people I've been around were cowboy-boot wearing, big belt buckle wearing rural-white guys. I definitely don't judge all white people by how they dress or whether or not they are "hicks" or "hipsters".

Old 11-21-2017, 01:31 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
I think I know what you mean OP

There are these SJW hipster types that think they are funny and since they've pledged alliegence to Black Lives Matters and denounced their white privilege they can make these types of jokes . They think they are cool .

Old 11-21-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Some hipsters are yuppies, but many are not. Hipsters are essentially young-ish people--especially 19-40, who live mostly in urban areas and (typically) have or are pursuing college degrees.
Hipsters are poor, or at least pretend to be poor

Yuppies are upper middle class, or at least pretend to be upper middle class

They are the exact opposites. Hipsters shop at thrift stores, yuppies shop at high end designer stores.

Hipsters ride the train and bicyles, yuppies drive BMW's and Mercedes

Hipsters wear 70's t shirts, yuppies wear designer suits. Hipsters drink Pabts blue ribbon, yuppies drink $15 martinis

I see no similiarity

Anyone who thinks Hipsters and Yuppies are the same is either middle age/old or lives in the suburbs

Old 11-21-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
It's happened to me a couple of times. And I've seen it happen to a couple other black people that I know in social settings. They like to dress like hipsters and convince people that they are liberal or whatever they'll drop an n-word without hesitation. Some of the most consistently non-racist people I've been around were cowboy-boot wearing, big belt buckle wearing rural-white guys. I definitely don't judge all white people by how they dress or whether or not they are "hicks" or "hipsters".
Yeah you gotta wonder about people that are trying too hard not to be racist .

Old 11-21-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah you gotta wonder about people that are trying too hard not to be racist .
Only a conservative republican would view that as a bad thing

Old 11-21-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Hipsters are poor, or at least pretend to be poor

Yuppies are upper middle class, or at least pretend to be upper middle class

They are the exact opposites. Hipsters shop at thrift stores, yuppies shop at high end designer stores.

Hipsters ride the train and bicyles, yuppies drive BMW's and Mercedes

Hipsters wear 70's t shirts, yuppies wear designer suits. Hipsters drink Pabts blue ribbon, yuppies drink $15 martinis

I see no similiarity
I don't know how accurate this is really .

I know in L.A a lot of hipster types have money .

I think the first sentence is accurate they "pretend to be poor"

Old 11-21-2017, 01:42 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Racism is just racism.

As I've noted on the forum, anyone can have racist beliefs. It does not depend on "yuppie" vs "hipster" or conservative versus liberal.

I've known plenty of all types of racists in my life. As a black person, I've experienced situations where hipsters, yuppies, conservatives, and liberals have said/done something racist.

On speaking about a friend being black so they can't be racist. I always lol at that and tell the person that that phrase, for me, is indicative of being a racist. You shouldn't have to qualify your not being a racist due to your friends. Your behavior/words should show you are not.
All of this. You get it.

Far too often people talk about liberals or northeast racism like it proves it’s more than just one side. Well, as a Black man all it proves is what we have been saying all along. America still has a long way to go when you have hipsters who think they are inclusive and cool when the reality is most of them are part of the problem they just have cool beards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies