Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 09:31 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You misinterpreted the maps. You are supposed to look at the colored areas.
I did no such thing. I know what I am looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Lets see, don't know what you're asking for on the first.
It refers to this extraordinary statement of yours;

Quote:
other times we've had a sustained rise in global temperature of 4 degrees it has killed every living thing above the microscopic level
Quote:
On the second, I don't know that there is one. As far as humans, research shows we function best at about 40 degrees, essentially the temperature at which we evloved.
Whats good for humans might not be best for the planet. We have absolutely NO WAY to regulate the climate for our own comfort.

Quote:
From the temperature before the increase
From what temperature? Is there a constant baseline temperature where if we had a 4 degree rise in temperature we would cease to exist?

Quote:
The frozen wasteland that's rapidly melting?
Didn't they just claim the same nonsense about Greenland? It was supposed to be melting, causing all kinds of havoc worldwide. Turns out the "predictors" were wrong once again. So Canada is on the melt too, huh?

Old 01-20-2009, 04:26 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I did no such thing. I know what I am looking at.
Then you agree with me that there is less sea ice in 2008 than there was in 1979? (remember not to look that the white stuff, it's only snow cover which is not reported in the 1979 map).

Here it is again if you'd like to take another look:

Daily Arctic Sea Ice Maps

And like I already said earlier, the Univ of Ill which supplied the data for those maps, state that sea ice (not snow) in the northern hemisphere is 1 million sq km less than it was in 1979.

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosph...a.ice.area.pdf

Old 01-20-2009, 06:39 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Thumbs down Global Warming Hoax

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
I guess everyone is finding out what a fraud AL Gore is....I've spoken to alot of people who once believed in Global Warming and now are becoming very skeptical....It seems the tide is turning against Al Gore....thank God!!!!
No doubt!

After all, there's big money to be made in conserving resources and cutting back on fossil fuel usage.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Fairbanks businessman Craig Compeau put a "shivering" Al Gore on a 5 ton block of ice.

It's time to pray for global warming, says Flint Journal columnist John Tomlinson - Flint, Michigan Columns, Letters & Opinion - The Flint Journal – MLive.com

Quote:
In other words, during what was supposed to be massive global warming, the biggest chunks of ice on earth grew larger. Just as an aside, do you remember when the hole in the ozone layer was going to melt Antarctica? But don't worry, we're safe now, that was the nineties.

Dr. Kunihiko, Chancellor of Japan's Institute of Science and Technology said this: "CO2 emissions make absolutely no difference one way or the other ... every scientist knows this, but it doesn't pay to say so." Now why would a learned man say such a crazy thing?

This is where the looney left gets lost. Their mantra is atmospheric CO2 levels are escalating and this is unquestionably causing earth's temperature rise. But ask yourself -- if global temperatures are experiencing the biggest sustained drop in decades, while CO2 levels continue to rise -- how can it be true?
Ah, the ozone layer - remember that? Why are the environmental-wackos not held accountable for their erroneous predictions? Instead, they are still given credibility. Insane.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:40 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times
[quote=sanrene;7078390]It refers to this extraordinary statement of yours;

"other times we've had a sustained rise in global temperature of 4 degrees it has killed every living thing above the microscopic level "

The first time was called the Permian Extinction. Extraordinary, yes. Controversial, no. They hide this kind of information in books.

Whats good for humans might not be best for the planet. We have absolutely NO WAY to regulate the climate for our own comfort.

Banal, but true. Never heard of anyone suggesting such a thing, but I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I do.

From what temperature? Is there a constant baseline temperature where if we had a 4 degree rise in temperature we would cease to exist?

Why don't you do some reading? Do you think I have nothing better to do that try to force feed you third grade science? OK if you want a local weather report from 2 billion years ago, or even sixty million, exactly what locality? Are you talking about a zip code, or latitude and longitude? Your yard, or the guy across the street? The temperature range that's compatible with our kind of life is from about 10 degrees cooler than we are now to 1-2 degrees warmer, in terms of global temperatures.

Didn't they just claim the same nonsense about Greenland? It was supposed to be melting, causing all kinds of havoc worldwide. Turns out the "predictors" were wrong once again. So Canada is on the melt too, huh?

Yes, the permafrost is melting, as is Green land, except in baboon blogland. How in the world do you people manage to so effectively shield yourselves from all forms of information? Do you use some type of fallout shelter or something? Or is it one of those tanks you float in with a blindfold?

Siberian permafrost melting

newsminer.com • Melting permafrost poses threats to infrastructure, Alaska economy

-- Press Releases June 2007 - Melting Ice-A Hot Topic? New UNEP Report Shows Just How Hot It's Getting - United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) --

Melting of permafrost could trigger rapid global warming warns UN

Melting permafrost will be major driver of global warming

Melting Arctic Ice Increases Permafrost Thaw Farther Inland Than Previously Thought : TreeHugger

http://www.unep.org/Documents.multil...ArticleID=2763

Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

It's time to pray for global warming, says Flint Journal columnist John Tomlinson - Flint, Michigan Columns, Letters & Opinion - The Flint Journal – MLive.com

Ah, the ozone layer - remember that? Why are the environmental-wackos not held accountable for their erroneous predictions? Instead, they are still given credibility. Insane.

What's the deal with removing the posters name from your quotes? When was the ozone hole supposed to melt antarctica? Not in my lifetime!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:00 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,828,595 times
Obama's going to expose the man-made global warming hoax today by releasing more inaugural CO2 than ever before in our country's history and monitoring global temp changes.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
Obama's going to expose the man-made global warming hoax today by releasing more inaugural CO2 than ever before in our country's history and monitoring global temp changes.

You're so unhappy...

Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 AM

114 posts, read 180,422 times
This has been a nice post to read, as I have learned a few things about those that believe in global warming and those that don't.

Back in the days I read a report which said:

In searching for a common enemy against whom we can unite, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine, and the like would fit the bill. In their totality and their interactions these phenomena constitute a common threat which must be confronted by everyone together. But in designating these threats as the enemy, we fall into the trap, which we have already warned readers about, namely mistaking symptoms for causes. All these dangers are caused by human intervention in natural processes, and it is only through change attitudes and behavior that they can be overcome. The real enemy, then, is humanity itself.
The First Global Revolution A Report by the Council of the Club of Rome page 75
In designating these threats....? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

My problem is that the earth has been polluted in many ways, but the only way that people like Al Gore want to fix the problem is thru taxations that only make the wealthy wealthier, and the nothing happens to the pollution levels...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/12/...all.php?page=1
The European Union started with the most high-minded of ecological goals: to create a market that would encourage companies to reduce greenhouse gases by making them pay for each ton emitted into the atmosphere. Four years later, the carbon trading system has created a multibillion-euro windfall for some of the continent's biggest polluters, with little or no noticeable benefit to the environment so far.

Last edited by triton74; 01-20-2009 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies