Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 09:11 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times

Advertisements

Got this pic from a tweet. I thought it demonstrated how complicated American patriotism can be for Blacks.

"They snatched flags outta young black people hands because they didn't want you to be a part of America. Now they're mad because you won't stand up for the same damn flag."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 09:40 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
Granted, it can be confusing as a black person as they were pretty hypocritical back in the day regarding our status. Either we're Americans or we ain't.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:45 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
And as long as we keep using examples of the past to represent things going on at the present time we will never see the future.

Don't get me wrong. I get the point. But people do not understand how damaging things like that are. This country would have never elected a black president in 2008 if the country was not improving.

There is still racism today. And there will still be racism 20 years from now. But it does get better. If 30% of white americans are racist today I can promise you that a lot less % will be racist in 20 years. Things don't change over night. But you take step backwards for crap like that.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:30 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Democrats don’t believe that blacks are Americans. They are African-Americans. Ever seen an African-American flag?

Old 11-30-2017, 11:02 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,557 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Democrats don’t believe that blacks are Americans. They are African-Americans. Ever seen an African-American flag?
There is so much beauty in watching you post such a flawed logic, especially considering that black and african american mean the exact same thing in the context to which you used it.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
And as long as we keep using examples of the past to represent things going on at the present time we will never see the future.

Don't get me wrong. I get the point. But people do not understand how damaging things like that are. This country would have never elected a black president in 2008 if the country was not improving.

There is still racism today. And there will still be racism 20 years from now. But it does get better. If 30% of white americans are racist today I can promise you that a lot less % will be racist in 20 years. Things don't change over night. But you take step backwards for crap like that.
I disagree, its a lot easier for people like you to understand the civil rights movement than felon rights, or defunded public schools in the inner city, or farm subsidy discrimination among black farmers, or housing discrimination in suburbia , credit/loan discrimination with banks.

the gravitas of a police officer beating a person is just more eye catching than a piece of paper saying "Regretfully, we are unable to approve your application for a line of credit at this time".

Old 11-30-2017, 11:10 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There is so much beauty in watching you post such a flawed logic, especially considering that black and african american mean the exact same thing in the context to which you used it.
If a black and an African-American are the same thing, then why is the latter prefered?

Old 11-30-2017, 11:23 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Got this pic from a tweet. I thought it demonstrated how complicated American patriotism can be for Blacks.

"They snatched flags outta young black people hands because they didn't want you to be a part of America. Now they're mad because you won't stand up for the same damn flag."
What is the context of that picture? Are you implying that you think black people are treated just as badly in America now as they were in 1957, or whenever the pic was taken? What do you think you can gain by spreading the word that you are angry with America?

As for being "mad" about black athletes not respecting the American flag, I doubt many folks are. I certainly am not, but as someone who grew up admiring black pro athletes, the flag protests have drained any remaining positive feelings I had. Now I just see those guys as, at best, dupes of the left and at worst, anti-American, anti-white racists.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:37 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I disagree, its a lot easier for people like you to understand the civil rights movement than felon rights, or defunded public schools in the inner city, or farm subsidy discrimination among black farmers, or housing discrimination in suburbia , credit/loan discrimination with banks.

the gravitas of a police officer beating a person is just more eye catching than a piece of paper saying "Regretfully, we are unable to approve your application for a line of credit at this time".
As long as people refuse to address the class issue in America, and continue to vote for puppets funded by Wall Street, nothing is going to change. Wall St doesnt care about the bottom 90%. The ruling donor class funding both the GOP and most democrats is the biggest threat to progress for African Americans.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If a black and an African-American are the same thing, then why is the latter prefered?
That is a question you have to ask people individually.

For me, im fine with the use of the term black, but not "blacks". Just from my own personal experience, that s comes off as harsh, and just feels like people wanting to use the n-word, but cant so they use a substitute.

You cant really put that same emphasis on it in African Americans , LOL

Im actually glad you asked that. I hope it gives you a better understanding and starts a dialogue.

But As I said, there are other contexts for those terms.

For some people black is just skin color where as African American denotes ancestry itself.

For example.

Jamaicans, Dominicans, and even arabs = black, but not african americans.

but even in the context of your post where you were differentiating in another way, why is it wrong in your mind to call someone african american.

it is no different than a white person saying they have German heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies