Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2017, 07:28 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
do you think if he had 20 days he'd read it? I don't think so.
But he should be given the choice. Did you say that when the Repulicans claimed they didn't have time to read the Health Care bill.

It is not okay. Every one of them should have a reasonable time to read and analyze the bill. What's the rush.....the panic.

This is not a left or right issue -- this is what is best for us American voters. We need our politicians to stop playing games and start governing with our best interests.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No they do not, congressmen have been slipping in amendments yesterday and today.
They have been adding stuff all last night and today -- and that's why they haven't voted for it. They don't even have time to produce completed typed comments. They are circulating copies with hand written amendments.

This is being rushed to say they are getting it done.....if it was a fine, sound bill they would be glad to have everyone review the content over the week end and do the vote first thing on Monday morning.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
I would love to hear one of our conservative friends justify this BS that was added to the bill:

"In last-minute changes to the Republican tax bill, an array of senators’ wish-lists have been added to the bill, including a unique tax exemption for a small Christian college in Michigan and a carve-out for cruise ships docking in Alaska."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...x-bill-n825846

Old 12-01-2017, 07:37 PM

Someone mentioned and it is now circulating on twitter -- could be just heresay (probably) but that most of the Republican senators don't have a clue what has been changed...lobbyists have been making changes and it is likely most of them don't have a clue what they are voting for.

MAGA

Old 12-01-2017, 07:38 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I would love to hear one of our conservative friends justify this BS that was added to the bill:

"In last-minute changes to the Republican tax bill, an array of senators’ wish-lists have been added to the bill, including a unique tax exemption for a small Christian college in Michigan and a carve-out for cruise ships docking in Alaska."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...x-bill-n825846
Golly, it's almost like the ACA all over again. Good thing you liberals are on record in support of such tactics.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:40 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Golly, it's almost like the ACA all over again. Good thing you liberals are on record in support of such tactics.
Nothing comparable. The ACA was debated for 9 months and there was plenty of amendments on both sides of the party lines. I predict that in the days ahead, we'll discover that this bill is full of oil-tanker-sized loopholes because the bill was rushed and poorly written.

Bloomberg: House Tax Bill Is Littered With Loopholes for Wall Street’s Wealthiest

MAGA, DRAIN THE SWAMP. hahaha, suckers.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:41 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
You didn't support it then, why are you supporting this travesty now?

Old 12-01-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Nothing comparable. The ACA was debated for 9 months and there was plenty of amendments on both sides of the party lines. I predict that in the days ahead, we'll discover that this bill is full of oil-tanker-sized loopholes because the bill was rushed and poorly written.
Ah, I figured you'd chime in. How is the DNC treating you these days?

Quote:
The multimillion-dollar deals cut with Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) and others to win the 60 votes needed for the historic health care reform bill gave President Barack Obama the margin he needed to fulfill a central campaign promise — but may also have upped the ante for future presidential horse trading.
With the bill hanging in the balance, Nelson won a provision exempting his state from paying the usual share of costs for new Medicaid patients. The deal critics have dubbed the Cornhusker Kickback is expected to cost the federal government $100 million over 10 years.

Before a close vote last month, Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) won an even larger break for her state — an estimated $300 million in extra federal spending, in a move opponents derided as the Louisiana Purchase.
Some critics branded the special deals as functionally equivalent to the kind of earmarks Obama crusaded against as a senator — and a quantum leap from eleventh-hour deals Obama’s predecessors have cut.
Link: https://www.politico.com/story/2009/...passage-030877

No, the bribes and kickbacks that enabled the ACA to pass were NOT "debated for nine months."

Old 12-01-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
You didn't support it then, why are you supporting this travesty now?
Mainly because the bill should be good for the country. Personally, my taxes will go up due to the elimination of the SALT deduction. I know it's difficult for liberals to understand putting the good of the country over personal interest, but it happens occasionally.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:49 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
this is all baloney about what's in the bill, both sides know exactly what's in the bill, they've been kicking around this kind of tax reform for 20 years.

This is important legislation, if President Trump gets this legislation passed into law it will have been a very successful first year for him.
There may be just one more little item that determines how successful the first year has been for Trump. I could be wrong, but I think that they may be currently huddled in the bunker very concerned about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies