Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 05:13 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,699 times

Advertisements

This situation isn't solely about religion, which the Left can easily claim is not good enough on some BS grounds of "separation of church and state". However, I think even Ayn Rand, a noted atheist, would have supported the baker's right to not give his services to something he was opposed to. Reading her works like The Fountainhead make that quite clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 05:13 PM

6,751 posts, read 3,371,581 times
So the gays want everyone to respect their rights but don't give a damn about someone else's beliefs. Sounds like the typical liberal mindset to me.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:15 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
This is far more serious than gerrymandering or even term limits. If someone can force someone else to do an activity that they're morally opposed to and can use the government to beat any who oppose going along with the arm of the state, what kind of society would that be? It wouldn't be a good one!
If the baker is morally opposed to making cakes, maybe he should find another line of work. No one forced him to be a baker. No one told him what to sell in his shop. All the law says is that if you offer a good or service then you can not discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation, nation of origin, ect. He chose to offer custom wedding cakes. He can not claim religious belief to violate the laws of the state he operates his business in.

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
He wasn't being asked to provide anything that he didn't offer. He offered wedding cakes, he can not discriminate based on who is purchasing the said cake. If he did not offer wedding cakes no one could force him to make one. Just like if he offered penis cakes he could not discriminate, but if he did not offer penis cakes no one could force him to make them.
I hope I never see a penis cake.

45,232 posts, read 26,464,208 times
I'd bake cakes for gays all day long. In my experience they are excellent costumers and not afraid to spend $$$.
But thats me, the baker should be able to refuse anyone he wants and for any reason. He owns it and should be able to tell you to go #sand.
Forced association is wrong, period.

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
So the gays want everyone to respect their rights but don't give a damn about someone else's beliefs. Sounds like the typical liberal mindset to me.
It’s mainly the loud gay activist minority. Most gay people just want to get along and not make big issues. They just want to live their lives while minding their own business.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:16 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Even the baker dropped the religious belief part of his case, he is now going with freedom of speech and expression.

Maurice Bessinger had a belief about racial mixing, he still had to follow anti-discrimination laws.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:17 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I'd bake cakes for gays all day long. In my experience they are excellent costumers and not afraid to spend $$$.
But thats me, the baker should be able to refuse anyone he wants and for any reason. He owns it and should be able to tell you to go #sand.
Yep. Most gay people I’ve know are successful, friendly and fun. Of course, that tends to be gay men; lesbians seem to always be grumps.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:18 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
If the baker is morally opposed to making cakes, maybe he should find another line of work. No one forced him to be a baker. No one told him what to sell in his shop. All the law says is that if you offer a good or service then you can not discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation, nation of origin, ect. He chose to offer custom wedding cakes. He can not claim religious belief to violate the laws of the state he operates his business in.
Totally agree.

If you don't want to serve the public - don't serve the public and find something else to do.

Maybe this baker is morally opposed to mixed-raced couples; he'll want to refuse them too. Oh, and Muslims; they are next on his list . . .

Old 12-05-2017, 05:18 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,699 times
Quote:
I'll let the Gaystapo push us around when they take our liberty from our cold dead hands!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies