Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 06:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No ruling yet. Don't go counting chickens before they hatch.

"Can a man excuse his practices to the contrary because of his religious belief? To permit this would be to make the professed doctrines of religious belief superior to the law of the land, and in effect to permit every citizen to become a law unto himself"

A. Scalia.
It should have nothing to do with religion and everything to do with freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Oh, I see, you think if it’s law, it’s right. What a good obedient citizen you are.
No, I think that laws are to be obeyed until they can be changed. There are legal means of getting laws changed.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:16 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Just sad that so much effort and legal expanse went to a case that is essentially being nitpicky. The gay couple could have easily got a cake elsewhere.

If you knew much about major legal cases, you'd know that they often result from a small individual impasse.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:17 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Baking a cake is not part of a wedding ceremony.
The cake is.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:17 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
Quote:
No, I think that laws are to be obeyed until they can be changed. There are legal means of getting laws changed.

Would you have said that in Nazi Germany?

I think sometimes the laws may need to be broken to bring it to the attention of the public (and the media).

Old 12-05-2017, 07:18 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand how religious people who claim to have so much "faith" in their all powerful God yet feel the need to constantly speak for this entity, what he wants, what he thinks, what he desires. If they are so convinced that he is the most powerful being to have ever existed, why are they so insecure about God? I believe "religious freedom" is a poorly disguised way of saying "freedom to be an a-hole while taking no blame for my actions."
No, I think you have us confused with the "My baby is part of my body, despite being a separate human being, and it's my body and my choice, so *********!" crowd.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:20 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Harriet Tubman disagreed with you.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
LOL! Obummer and the Lefties in California blatantly ignored DOMA and Prop 8 despite them being law and eventually it was taken to courts where their robed tyrant pals struck down the laws they didn't like.

Also, the Left sure doesn't take that policy with "sanctuary cities".

It's time we stopped following the Left's iron-fisted laws and flip the bird to them and their "do as I say, not as I do" rule over us!

Old 12-05-2017, 07:23 PM

Actually, I think Dr. King would be on OUR side. Even if the Supreme Court ruled in the Gaystapo's favor, he'd say about the Colorado law "An unjust law is no law at all!"

Old 12-05-2017, 07:24 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand how religious people who claim to have so much "faith" in their all powerful God yet feel the need to constantly speak for this entity, what he wants, what he thinks, what he desires. If they are so convinced that he is the most powerful being to have ever existed, why are they so insecure about God? I believe "religious freedom" is a poorly disguised way of saying "freedom to be an a-hole while taking no blame for my actions."
Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature

HTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies