Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 08:54 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,099,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Pregnancy is not a medical condition.
Of course it is. Because in civilized societies you receive medical care during pregnancy and during delivery. And a lack of medical care during that time increases a woman's chance of death or life-threatening complications.

The bottom line is, you don't get to decide what other women get to do with their bodies. All of your posts here are immaterial because of that basic truth.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:55 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,783,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Too vague. What did she see _exactly_. Why did she struggle with it _exactly_?

Perhaps she saw little fingers and toes - or a heart beat.
That's exactly what she struggled with. I think it's very easy for people to view abortion at arms length and in an abstract manner but it becomes very real when you have experience with it and maybe the realness will give one pause. Maybe it won't. Just hearing what she shared did give me pause and still does to this day.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That's exactly what she struggled with.
Then she is in the wrong job. I worked in the medical profession for a while, but in the end I found I didn't have the stomach for it, so I left the field. If your friend can't handle the job then she should look for something else.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:58 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,049,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That's exactly what she struggled with. I think it's very easy for people to view abortion at hands length and in an abstract manner but it becomes very real when you have experience with it and maybe the realness will give one pause. Maybe it won't. Just hearing what she shared did give me pause.
I've had an abortion, so I feel pretty qualified to talk about the "realness" of abortion.

It gave me relief. Looking back, I still feel glad that I was able to have a safe, legal abortion.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:01 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,972,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Exactly. newtovenice can rail to her little heart's content. In the end, her demand that every woman who gets pregnant must be forced to give birth carries absolutely no weight.

We don't force women to give birth here. She should move to an Islamic country if that's the kind of government she wants to live under.

Or women can just take responsibility for themselves not to get pregnant when they are unable or unwilling to have a child.

I realize that is a very difficult concept for some because they believe that irresponsibility on their part makes it OK to kill a baby.

And abortion is and will always be a moral issue BEFORE it is a legal issue.

People who cite law as the reasoning forget the times when laws were wrong. People who rely on medical professionals forget the times when FDA-approved drugs killed people and doctors promoted cigarettes as a healthy lifestyle choice.

The law is not always right. The doctors are not always right.

Suppose the law said it was OK to go run over every old person in the street. Would you run out and do it because it was legal? Does being legal make it MORALLY OK? Maybe to you it does. I don't know. Maybe you would hop right in your car and go on a joyride knowing that you were golden in the eyes of the law.

Morality does not change, no matter how you try to bend it to your will.

And you are right, in the long run my opinion does not matter. And neither does yours. What matters is all those who have blood on their hands. Are your hands clean?

Old 12-11-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Then she is in the wrong job. I worked in the medical profession for a while, but in the end I found I didn't have the stomach for it, so I left the field. If your friend can't handle the job then she should look for something else.
She loved all of the other aspects of the job. Just struggled with the abortion aspect. I would bet that she eventually left and found a position in a doctor's office that did not involve abortions.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I've had an abortion, so I feel pretty qualified to talk about the "realness" of abortion.

It gave me relief. Looking back, I still feel glad that I was able to have a safe, legal abortion.
I concur. And I know three other women who had abortions who feel the same way.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post

That's fine. Different people will have different reactions and feelings regarding the experience. I know someone who regretted her abortion. No one is right or wrong in their feelings.

21,382 posts, read 7,972,648 times
Quote:
I concur. And I know three other women who had abortions who feel the same way.
And I know two that are heartbroken because they had abortions.

Your point is moot.

I'm sure Ted Bundy felt A-OK with his decisions, too. I'm sure Harvey Weinstein was perfectly happy about his choices when he made them, too.

Whether you are OK with an action has no bearing on whether it is a right action.

42,868 posts, read 26,375,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Pregnancy is not a medical condition. It doesn't need treatment.
And it doesn't kill me. It kills the baby.
"700 women die each year in the United States as a result of pregnancy or delivery complications".
https://www.cdc.gov/reproductiveheal...dmortality.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies