Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did anyone really NOT expect Republicans to try to stop the Russia Investigation?
Of course I expected them to interfere! 51 75.00%
No,I expected them to allow the invetigation to be completed. 17 25.00%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 07:32 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times

Advertisements

Thought about setting up a poll on this question but I really hate those things. Better to throw the question up here for open discussion.

It's simply a matter of time before Trump fires Mueller. It's his only chance to stay in office through 2018. In doing so of course he will destroy any chance of re-election, but he really doesn't care about that at this point; he wants to avoid the ultimate humiliation of being impeached from office, which is the likely outcome if he lets the Mueller investigation continue.

We hear talk about a Constitutional crisis if this were to occur, and the Democrats think that Republicans will join in an impeachment - but not sure I buy it. The likely result is that Republicans will give it a lot of lip service and patriotic grandstanding but in the end, they will stand behind their dictator. Maybe he will wait until Moore is elected, because Roy would surely be a powerful ally when he decides to fire Mueller. If he's lucky, McCain's health will continue to fail, because the old man will surely be a thorn in his side. Don't worry, Trump will retain his hardcore base - sure it will shrink, but he will still retain enough of them to fill his rally halls. That will be enough to survive through his first term.

Here are some speculative articles on this:

What if Trump fires Mueller?

What Will Congress Do If Trump Tries to Fire Mueller? - Rolling Stone

Even Republicans Would Back Trump

Old 12-09-2017, 07:34 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
He (trump) will be impeached.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:39 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
He (trump) will be impeached.
I used to think that, but I'm not sure any more. Republicans are starting to spin away from that stance; when push comes to shove I think they will stand behind Trump, because they are afraid of him and his fascist allies like Moore. As well as these guys.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...es-in-congress

Old 12-09-2017, 07:59 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I used to think that, but I'm not sure any more. Republicans are starting to spin away from that stance; when push comes to shove I think they will stand behind Trump, because they are afraid of him and his fascist allies like Moore. As well as these guys.

Trump
I think he will fire Mueller too. I think he knows the Republicans won't do anything. Fox News is hammering Mueller all the time now.

Considering how fast the Republicans backpedaled on the hard stance they initially took with Moore they can't be trusted to do the right thing.

This is an op-ed below from David Brooks. I try not to be negative, but I feel this could happen.

(excerpt)
There is no end to what Trump will ask of his party. He is defined by shamelessness, and so there is no bottom. And apparently there is no end to what regular Republicans are willing to give him. Trump may soon ask them to accept his firing of Robert Mueller, and yes, after some sighing, they will accept that, too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/07/o...s-rotting.html

Old 12-09-2017, 08:01 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,535 times
Trump should fire Mueller, but he won't. It's far more likely that Rosenstein gets fired. He isn't responding to questions from Congress. We still don't know if the dossier (funded by Clinton and contained Russian sources) was used as a basis to open an investigation on Trump and his team. We don't know why DOJ brass was meeting with Glenn Simpson of Fusion GPS. There are a lot of unanswered questions. When Rosenstein is fired maybe his replacement fires Mueller. There has to be consequences for failing to properly vet the investigators and for all the leaks.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:06 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
i like trump, but if he interfered with mueller in any way, he be gone by noon. They would impeach him so quick. but as long as mueller is honest, there no reason to get rid of him.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:10 PM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Trump can fire Mueller and nothing will happen. He is a subordinate, if he does a poor job, he'll be fired.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:13 PM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Impeachment requires a majority of The House, and then 2/3rds of the Senate. That's impossible with Trump. Isn't going to happen.

They couldn't even convict Clinton.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:13 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Trump can fire Mueller and nothing will happen. He is a subordinate, if he does a poor job, he'll be fired.
If he fires Mueller the investigation will still go on and Trump's administration will look even more guilty than they had before.

It is a lose lose for the President.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:15 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,102,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post

Trump
It does seem that more Republicans are getting behind Trump, that's because the Mueller investigation is falling apart despite all the efforts to stonewall congress's calls to turn over documents, and even ignore subpoenas.

After the threat of being held in contempt of congress, all hell was starting to break lose as FBI director was read the riot act by members of the House the other day.

It's looking more likely that Mueller will be forced to shut down his investigation as more evidence comes out about the FISA warrant, and Russian dossier. The clock could be running out sooner rather than later on Mueller, and his band of anti-Trump minions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies