Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 08:49 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times

Advertisements

This is now the new normal in America. If someone makes an accusation against you and does it in the public arena then you are automatically assumed guilty. Now it's up to you to prove your innocence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 08:54 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
I was walking down the sidewalk in a shopping area today. A man I didn't know walked by me and said, "I like your hat!" I smiled and said "Thank you!" He smiled and we both walked on.

I'm confused. Was I sexually harassed? Do I need to find a lawyer? He looked like he was rich.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:43 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
This is now the new normal in America. If someone makes an accusation against you and does it in the public arena then you are automatically assumed guilty. Now it's up to you to prove your innocence.

No, that's not how the legal system works.

Individuals do not have to operate the same way the legal system works.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:54 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,347 times
Quote:
No, I don't think this should be the new normal. What should be the new normal is women should be heard when they come out and there should investigations to see if there's any truth to the matter.

What's not normal is for these women to be called liars, shamed, threatened, fired or worse!

What's also NOT normal is for a man, who's been accused of sexual misconduct by no less than 16 women and caught bragging on radio and video about doing it, voted President!

Last edited by kimchee; 12-11-2017 at 10:02 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 09:59 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Isn't that what they have been doing to Hillary Clinton for years?

Old 12-11-2017, 10:01 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Isn't that what they have been doing to Hillary Clinton for years?
I would say it is the opposite of how she has been treated.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:27 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I was walking down the sidewalk in a shopping area today. A man I didn't know walked by me and said, "I like your hat!" I smiled and said "Thank you!" He smiled and we both walked on.

I'm confused. Was I sexually harassed? Do I need to find a lawyer? He looked like he was rich.
How was telling you he liked your smile be considered sexually harassment. Did he grab you, grope you and forcefully kiss you. Obviously not, so why are you confused by this? Maybe if you aren't married, this guy is just trying to make contact with you because he would like to date you. This is not sexual harassment.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:44 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
When has someone been held to anything over *an* accusation?

There are some who are now over multiple accusations or picture evidence.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:59 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
.......What's also NOT normal is for a man, who's been accused of sexual misconduct by no less than 16 women and caught bragging on radio and video about doing it, voted President!
What's fair for one side is fair for the other.

Hillary Clinton could run for office despite being under investigation because she had not been convicted by a court of a crime.

Same thing for Donald Trump.

Until due process of law has been carried out, one still has their rights.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:13 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,184 posts, read 13,469,799 times
It's the same the world over, I mean look at this recent case. A Bollywood actress claims whilst she was sleeping on a plane a middle aged man rubbed his foot on her neck for around 5 minutes.

The man was arrested when the plane landed, and what need to happen now is a full police investigation at the tax payers expense and an expensive trial in order that her world can be belived over his.

It's also not beyond the realms of possibility that the man was asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC

An actress who starred in Bollywood's biggest film says she was molested on a flight between Delhi and Mumbai.

Zaira Wasim, 17, said a "middle-aged man" had repeatedly moved his foot up and down her neck and back while she was "half-asleep".

She documented the incident on Instagram and tried to film the man's behaviour but said it was too dark.

The airline, Air Vistara, said it was carrying out a detailed investigation into the incident.

A suspect has been arrested, Indian media reports say, but his identity has not been disclosed.

Actress Zaira Wasim: I was molested on flight - BBC News
In another case, an actress who starred in 'Game of Thrones' claimed a man put his hand her panties at Waterloo Station in London. The man was arrested and charged by police, however it later turned out that the CCTV of the image showed the man was totally innocent and in the timeframe of half a second could not have possibly done such a thing and a Jury at Blackfriars Crown Court took just 90 minutes to find the man not guilty of anything. The man (Mark Pearson) allowed his name to be realeased and spoke out in order to warn other men that the same thing could happen to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telegraph

The claims, which he denounced as “preposterous” from the start, were that he assaulted the TV, theatre and radio actress penetratively for “two or three seconds” as he walked past her at London’s Waterloo station, before landing a heavy blow to her left shoulder as he pushed past her.

Though the pair were surrounded by swathes of commuters, there were no witnesses, no forensic evidence and the woman herself failed to pick Pearson out of an identity parade.

CCTV footage of the encounter was unearthed, but still didn’t establish if the two strangers made physical contact as they swept past each other, let alone whether there had been enough time for such an attack. A forensic scientist for the defence told the court that Pearson had passed the actress in half a second - concluding any assault was a logistical impossibility.

The jury agreed and took just 90 minutes to unanimously reject the actress’s story - but for Pearson, the damage had already been done. He has suffered anxiety attacks, resorted to cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) in search of sleep and, at his lowest, refused to go leave the house, see friends or pick up a paintbrush. He has been, by his own admission, “a nervous wreck”.

Commuter who walked past actress at Waterloo station cleared of 'bizarre' sex assault claim - Telegraph

My year of hell: Commuter of 'preposterous' sexual assault case wary of travelling with women - Telegraph

Man falsely accused of sexual assault on actress wants apology from CPS over 'bemusing' case | The Independent

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-12-2017 at 03:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies