Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 01:08 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Yes, because many states are moving people from welfare to disability. Nowadays, you can qualify for disability if you got high blood pressure.

You are VERY wrong here . It took me 20 years before finally 2 of my several surgeons went to bat for me and still they are going to "check me" every three years to see if I can be cured. Really ? All for $700 a month. People on disability or SSI do not get scads of cash.

I'll be 58 in 3 years with a couple of chronic physical conditions I have had since birth, that have required multiple surgeries and is in general as expected with chronic conditions get worse with age . Even with the best management - which I have done .

I have a friend who was denied for almost the same amount of time as I was. She is a double amputee who caught that bacteria we have in the waters of the Gulf back home ( Gulf Of Mexico ) . They expected her to bounce out of that bed by golly and get back to work at that shrimp plant !

When I lived in Europe the taxes were higher yeah but you got services and alot less stress . Women can leave abusive relationships without becoming destitute , people get medical care when they need it , the dentist, end of life care etc because people there are willing to share & don't have a fit when someone recieves any assistance and automatically brand them as lazy or accuse them of stealing their tax dollars .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 08:58 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
I think it's a wonderful thing as long as people don't need them anymore, which is the case for most people that have gone off food stamps lately. But when the ones that are truly in need fail to qualify because of some poorly written law, I don't think it's it's a good thing at all.

People who need food stamps should always qualify; benefits here in NY have always been generous, and still are.

That is, after all, the reason that program was created--to provide assistance to those who need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies