Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 04:05 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times

Advertisements

I remember I started saying happy holidays when I learned that some don't celebrate, so why would anyone want to wish someone merry Christmas who doesn't celebrate it? Are you trying to impose your holidays onto them or just want to whine about it to get attention?

Old 12-19-2017, 04:09 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
There is a war on American Culture alright. It's being waged by fascist right-wingers and their leader, Donald Trump.

He is undermining everything positive the American culture historically has ever stood for, and using everything that every hate group or fascist counter culture group has used against democracy, the free press, freedom of expression, free speech and the melting pot culture that America and the American flag has always stood for.

The culture war using hate and xenophobia is being used against the America that the Statue of Liberty stands for. Trump is more aligned with Hitler and Mussolini than any American leader we've ever had.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:32 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
For the last god-damned time: YOUR BELIEFS are not being INFRINGED UPON when a company, a store, or even the government says, "Merry Christmas" or chooses to recognize a particular holiday.

You can complain that your *own* beliefs or holidays are not celebrated or recognized, but that's different than saying your beliefs are OFFENDED by someone else recognizing and celebrating a holiday that you don't celebrate.

If you're forced to say a prayer to a god you don't believe in, or if you're forced to worship... THAT is offending someone's religion or beliefs (or lack thereof). It is NOT offensive to just SEE Christmas decorations or going to a "Christmas" party in the workplace, as long as it doesn't involve praying to baby Jesus.

If you worship Odin or celebrate Diwali, and are the only one in the office that does so.... how about working with management to maybe set aside an afternoon or lunch time where you can share your own traditions? Rather than making things boring and awful for the NINETY TWO PERCENT of Americans who DO celebrate Christmas in some form.
Whatever.

You keep saying how many Christians there are in America and it matters not how many there are or how they outnumber other fairy tale story beliefs cults.

If a company has something labeled a Christmas party, and someone at the company is a Druid and wants to have a similarly themed Solstice party, what are they to do? They have a Holiday Party and call it a day. Nobody wants the hassle just to include the word "Christmas" so they can be like Trump plays to his base and use that word so he can look like his is sticking it to those who don't support him.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:03 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
There is a war on American Culture alright. It's being waged by fascist right-wingers and their leader, Donald Trump.

He is undermining everything positive the American culture historically has ever stood for, and using everything that every hate group or fascist counter culture group has used against democracy, the free press, freedom of expression, free speech and the melting pot culture that America and the American flag has always stood for.

The culture war using hate and xenophobia is being used against the America that the Statue of Liberty stands for. Trump is more aligned with Hitler and Mussolini than any American leader we've ever had.
No one has empowered Trump and the far right more than the PC promoting snowflakes. It is the hatred of political correctness, the demonization of white people and the promotion of the politics of diversity that inspired the Trump backlash. The left owns Trump and the current political environment. You cannot expect to radically alter the social values of a nation against the will of the majority and not expect a backlash. If the left keeps it up the backlash may turn into something much worse like civil war.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:10 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I remember I started saying happy holidays when I learned that some don't celebrate, so why would anyone want to wish someone merry Christmas who doesn't celebrate it? Are you trying to impose your holidays onto them or just want to whine about it to get attention?
Most folks around here take Christmas for what it is, an end of year get together for families, business, and a boon for retail etc. There are so many different cultures celebrating their holidays in this city that Christmas is just another one on the calendar, albeit the biggest and most popular one.

Nobody really attaches much religious baggage to it any more.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:20 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Most folks around here take Christmas for what it is, an end of year get together for families, business, and a boon for retail etc. There are so many different cultures celebrating their holidays in this city that Christmas is just another one on the calendar, albeit the biggest and most popular one.

Nobody really attaches much religious baggage to it any more.
As a Christian I will acknowledge this to be true. Christmas is a largely secular holiday and it always has been. It’s history also suggests it’s more of a sucessor to saturnalia in Ancient Rome. Also there is evidence that Jesus was born in the spring, not December. Having said that I celebrate it as the birth of Jesus and also celebrate its more secular traditions as well. It is a fun holiday. My biggest beef with the PC police getting involved in Christmas is yielding to them at all. I am tired of thier unwanted intrusion into our culture. It’s Christmas plain and simple, prior to the last 20 years most people of other groups celebrated the secular aspects of it and left the religious part of it to practicing Christians. Most of them respected the majority and were not offended. Why now is it offensive all of a sudden?

Old 12-19-2017, 05:26 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

As a Christian I will acknowledge this to be true. Christmas is a largely secular holiday and it always has been. It’s history also suggests it’s more of a sucessor to saturnalia in Ancient Rome. Also there is evidence that Jesus was born in the spring, not December. Having said that I celebrate it as the birth of Jesus and also celebrate its more secular traditions as well. It is a fun holiday.

As a kid I used to love this time of year. Now it's more like I'm waiting for someone to get their pants in a wad about who says what. The bible says that the shepherds were tending the flock when Jesus was born that mean spring or summer. As others have said people have taken the fun out of this time of year and the retailers haven't helped either.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I say whatever I please, including using the "n" word with co-workers which is routinely done in my department in a joking context. Too many snowflake groups these days that think their preferences must be appeased. I'll do what I want, you do what you want, I'll say what I want, and if you don't like it, too damn bad. Of course when at a corporation you are obligated to abide by the rules their gestapo come up with. Same with this particular college. You can choose to follow the rules or not. Accept the potential consequences of not following the rules, of course.
Yeah, ok.

Everyone is tough behind a computer screen, but these are the types who you couldn't pry their mouth open with a crowbar to say any racial slur in public.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:32 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
I understand it's obvious mainstream, but Christians really shouldn't (technically) be celebrating Christmas...for the obvious reasons.

But as someone said earlier, even though I stopped celebrating it "officially", I just welcome it as a time to get together with family and whatnot.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:41 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yeh, I'm on the "left" but I don't really even know who Buchanan is. Presumably a religious fanatic nut case or extreme right wing radio host?

Pat Buchanan is a well known politician, author, TV & radio personality, etc., etc.
Maybe you are too young to remember he was Nixon's speech writer, presidential candidate, co-host of the political show on CNN called Crossfire.
But you are not too young to be unaware of his regular presence on the popular PBS show, The McLaughlin Group. Heck he has even been on MSNBC for years, so being a liberal, you should have seen of him there. That is unless you tune out anyone who does not sound leftist enough.

Pat Buchanan is far from a nut case, and is conversely a well educated, intelligent political pundit and historian.

Here is one of the funny SNL skits about the McLaughlin Group, which I'd find hard to believe you never watched;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYBpWAiwW34

Then again if you are unaware of all of the aforementioned, it sounds like your political views might be more emotion based, rather than grounded in reasoned political debate/discourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies