Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 03:53 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times

Advertisements

I say whatever I please, including using the "n" word with co-workers which is routinely done in my department in a joking context. Too many snowflake groups these days that think their preferences must be appeased. I'll do what I want, you do what you want, I'll say what I want, and if you don't like it, too damn bad. Of course when at a corporation you are obligated to abide by the rules their gestapo come up with. Same with this particular college. You can choose to follow the rules or not. Accept the potential consequences of not following the rules, of course.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:31 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Having a Christmas party in the office when people in your office aren't Christians DIS-respects those individuals. Are you having a Christmas party and a Hanukkah party and a Kwanzaa party and a Winter Solstice party and...so on? If not, the Christmas party excludes those who don't celebrate Christmas. Management doesn't want people to feel excluded. They want everyone to be included in the holidays. And this memo explicitly states that individuals can decorate their offices and work stations according to their traditions, as long as the work station is a personal space.

Having respect for others is something Jesus would do. So sad that so many Christians have difficulty grasping this.

No. It is NOT DIS-respecting any other people's beliefs. If I'm vegan and my office serves meatballs at a company picnic, they are not DISRESPECTING my beliefs by having meat barbecue.

If I, who am not a Jewish person, would not be having MY beliefs DIS-respected if my office (whichis heavily Jewish) decided to throw a Hanukkah party.

Unless I am EXCLUDED from the celebrations because I am not Jewish, or if I'm having my beliefs ACTUALLY disrespected by the display of Judaica, I'd rightfully be called a whiny, petulant little ****-ant by getting upset that my office is throwing a party to celebrate what a majority (or large) portion of the office celebrates.

Something like NINETY TWO PERCENT of Americans celebrate Christmas.... not all of them are Christians. It is a cultural holiday at this point, and atheists such as myself celebrate it.

Now, if you're part of those religious sects who think you're betraying your sky daddy by enjoying another culture's religious or cultural traditions..... then you're ALSO a whiny little ***** and need to get over yourself.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:00 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Clearly Fortune 500 companies are not liberal entities. I also am not surprised that you saw those types of politically correct directives 20 years ago. During Clinton’s 90s the SJW movement was being developed and really getting started. So if big corporations are republican Then how has political correctness infiltrated corporate America so thoroughly? The answer is simple....lawsuits and hippie boycotts.

Liberals have always been good at making society do what it does not want too by usurping democracy through the use of courts and lawsuits. Legal issues are expensive and they cut into corporate profits. Corporations yield to liberal groups to avoid legal trouble or expensive boycotting. The corporations agree to SJW approved HR policies and propeganda forced upon its employees in exchange for freedom from thier lawsuits. Employees often mock these policies and hate them but crossing them will cost your job. Liberals have found a way to beat and silence conservatives through employers. Today even after hours conservative activities or politically incorrect behavior can cost your job. The left has imposed its social attitudes on us in an Orwellian way not through government alone but also through employers. Clearly conservative people are more likely to value employment so this effort to bring PC through corporate America is nothing short of a plot by liberals to silence the first amendment rights of conservatives in a way that is unfortunately legal.

What needs to be done to stop this? First conservatives can use boycotting too. Target has suffered greatly for its liberal policies on perverts in its bathrooms and the way they have forced it on its customers and employees. The boycott has been successful in hurting the companies profits and has caused declines in its stock prices. They have not yielded and are standing by PC policies but the pressure on them continues. If the boycott does force them to yield it could be a model used to challenge the worst offenders regarding PC being forced in the workplace.

New state laws could be passed at least in the red states to make it illegal for companies to fire or discipline employees for expressing political opinions outside of work or for politically incorrect statements, jokes or comments on social media. This would take the wind out of the sails of SJW types looking to impose PC on the world. Other laws could also ban employers from promoting social issues or political beliefs to employees who are on the clock. Some would say this is a violation of the rights of employers but many would secretly welcome it for it would free them from all these groups threatening them with boycotts and lawsuits over these social issues. It would allow them to get back to thier core business and let them go back to ignoring the liberal special interest groups.

Liberal SJW are irritating little people who have gained far more influence in our society than they deserve. Most people hate them. It’s easy to argue that much of the reason Trump is president has to do with a backlash against the politically correct society. We are right to hate the imposition of political correctness upon us, nothing could be more un-Americann than political correctness. It is literally the squashing of our constitutional first amendment rights. Left wingers have been very smart and crafty about how they have forced it upon us but it is time for the majority to stand up for its rights against this. The idea they can stop Christmas parties for fear of offending people is so ridiculous it sounds like a joke, BUT it is our 2017 reality.

Another pot meet kettle post.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:45 AM

59,123 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The fundamental transformation of the US, as it relates to Christmas, occured 150 + years ago when waves of European immigrants refused to assimilate and instead maintained their Christmas traditions in spite of laws banning public acknowledgement and celebrations.

Christmas became a Federal holiday in 1870 when it became obvious that Christmas was good for business, thus the economy. Christmas is now the make it/ break it season for retail and consumer electronics.

No one could have imagined, let alone predicted that Christmas would be the time of years tens of millions incur serious personal debt to acquire stuff they don't need.
"Christmas became a Federal holiday in 1870 when it became obvious that Christmas was good for business,"

WOW! Talk about revisionist history!

Old 12-19-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
The first War on Christmas was waged by Christion settlers in the colonies who created laws banning public acknowledgement and celebration of Christmas.

As time went on and waves of immigration from all over Europe arrived, they refused to assimilate. Imagine that. Immigrants importing their own cultural values in spite of the norms of the time. It was not until 1870 that Christmas became a Federal Holiday.

A super majority of US people identify as Christian. Yet, for some unknown reason, some of them demonstrate a preference to view themselves as victims. Why is this?

There are more than 4000 Christian denominations/ sects in the US. Not all of them celebrate Christmas with merry making, decorations, gifting, cards and song.
"There are more than 4000 Christian denominations/ sects in the US. Not all of them celebrate Christmas with merry making, decorations, gifting, cards and song"

Provide your list.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Not all Christians celebrate Christmas with song, merry making and gifts. They are offended by the use of public monies to promote their perception of sinful practices. They typically trend far more Conservative than your average Joe.

Then there are Christians who deeply resent the commercialization of Christmas.
Which has NOTHING to do with the subject at hand.

We are FREE to practice or NOT practices any religion we choose.

We ACCEPT different religions and their practices.

We DENY NONE.

THAT is the point.

I have many Jewish friends and they have been giving and getting CHRISTmas gifts their entire lives.

The say "merry CHRISTmas to me and I say happy Hanuka to them.

At some point we have to back to recognizing that people have RIGHT to have diffeent opinions on things an it is OK to have them

We have to STOP this ridiculous practice of "because someone MIGHT be offended " the rest off us have to change what we say, wear, do, etc.

As has been said SOMEBODY WILL BE OFFENDED by SOMETHING.

As has been said, " You do not have the right to not be offended by the free speech of others.....!"

Old 12-19-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What I don't understand is how it's DIS-respecting someone's religion or belief to recognize or celebrate Christmas? Having a Christmas party doesn't DIS-respect anyone else's religion.

You are being just as much of a WHINING, PATHETIC BABY if you live in a majority-Christian country and complain about Christmas being celebrated. Oh no! The horror of seeing some red and green garland! What an attack on your personhood! It'd be like moving to Israel or any of the Muslim countries and then feeling "disrespected" because the majority there wants to celebrate the prevailing holidays.

Unless they are MAKING you worship another deity.... or forbidding you to worship and display your own religious mumbo-jumbo, etc.... then shut up, sit down and enjoy the damned season. You aren't being "excluded"... in fact, you are being explicitly INCLUDED in the season festivities when you are invited to secular Christmas celebrations.

(And yes, there's a huge difference between secular and religious Christmas. I don't believe in virgin birth and such, for example, but I still celebrate Christmas).
"You are being just as much of a WHINING, PATHETIC BABY"

I'd bet he has NEVER DECLINED a CHRISTmas present!

Old 12-19-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Having a Christmas party in the office when people in your office aren't Christians DIS-respects those individuals. Are you having a Christmas party and a Hanukkah party and a Kwanzaa party and a Winter Solstice party and...so on? If not, the Christmas party excludes those who don't celebrate Christmas. Management doesn't want people to feel excluded. They want everyone to be included in the holidays. And this memo explicitly states that individuals can decorate their offices and work stations according to their traditions, as long as the work station is a personal space.

Having respect for others is something Jesus would do. So sad that so many Christians have difficulty grasping this.
The holiday IS CHRISTmas.

They CHOSE to have a CHRISTmas party.

If you do not WANT to attend the party, DON'T. It is THAT easy.

It is NOT mandatory to attend.

Many companies have summer picnics.

If you do NOT want to go you don't have to.

How many CHRISTmas presents have to NOT taken?

Old 12-19-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I don't know how conservatives walk around. What with their panties in a bunch over every little thing that has no affect whatsoever on their lives.

Anyone care to be my plus one to my office holiday party in January? Dish choices include, beef, chicken, salmon, pasta, Halal beef and halal chicken. Sorry, no figgy pudding. It's been banned .

Or to my kids' "winter sing" in January?
I don't know how liberals walk around. What with their panties in a bunch over every little thing that has no affect whatsoever on their lives.

Like seeing a statue, a flag, a cross, a word, a picture, etc., etc., etc.

It is NOT conservatives that had to go to their "safe" places with their crayons and Play DO and seek out therapy help.

Oh, the eternal hypocrisy of the left!

Old 12-19-2017, 06:18 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,909,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The holiday IS CHRISTmas.

They CHOSE to have a CHRISTmas party.

If you do not WANT to attend the party, DON'T. It is THAT easy.

It is NOT mandatory to attend.

Many companies have summer picnics.

If you do NOT want to go you don't have to.

How many CHRISTmas presents have to NOT taken?
What deity is being honored at a summer picnic??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies