Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 02:54 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,038,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
They want government institutions like the University of Michigan to openly endorse their religious beliefs. They don't just want freedom to practice their religion...they feel persecuted if they can't get the government to force it on others.
Exactly; that is what the far-right wants - a theocracy, with their warped version of Christianity being the law of the land.

This is utter nonsense. I've worked at corporations big and small, and while the business ITSELF isn't supposed to show religious favoritism, this crackpot notion that "people are being prevented from saying Merry Christmas as part of a liberal plot!" is utterly dishonest and insane.

Look, if you happen to work for a company that fires people for wishing others a "Merry Christmas" or for displaying a few Christmas items in your cubicle, take it up with the company, because that is NOT normal behavior in corporate America these days. It's not a "liberal plot" - it's stupid companies being stupid in such cases. Also, I seriously doubt they can even do that without risking a lawsuit given the obvious religious nature of the firing in such cases.

Now, if your problem is that you can't ramrod your religious beliefs onto others, well, you might be a modern right-winger...

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You guys, such as yourself.

Oh ok I see now. The one who stays focused on the current president as opposed to being up past presidents. Got it!

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Actually, the Pilgrims did not celebrate Christmas, and it was even outlawed in the Colonies for a while. It was considered a decadent holiday. And after the Revolution, it fell out of favor because it was "too British." Most of the things we do to celebrate Christmas in America did not become part of the culture until the 19th century.

History of Christmas - Christmas - HISTORY.com
Not surprising that the Puritans looked down on Christmas, because what are today's Progressives if not Godless Puritans?

Old 12-17-2017, 02:58 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,038,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So a university sends out a letter saying that folks may want to consider that many don't celebrate Christmas and they offer other ways to celebrate the holidays.

And so you all interpret to mean they are trying to get rid of Christmas.

How does your logic work?

I don't see how any of that impacts someone who chooses to still throw a Christmas party.

Relax.....no one is coming for your precious Christmas......
Yep, it is nothing but right-wing insanity. The OP's post is literally a letter that basically says, "Be considerate of others because not everyone shares the same religious beliefs as you. Don't be a jerk and shove your religion in their face."

And the right-wing extremists see that as "an attack on Christmas."

Lunacy. The more one listens to their hard-line stance and utter hatred for anyone of other faiths, the more they sound like the "Muslim" lunatics in the Middle East, who take the same stance in favor of their religion.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:04 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Oh ok I see now. The one who stays focused on the current president as opposed to being up past presidents. Got it!
Someone else brought up the Obama Christmas messages. You then said you couldn't see Trump also releasing one. I questioned you and gave some historical time perspective as well as pointing out how criticizing someone for not doing something well before it would be expected is premature. What I should have said was that it's stupid.

Your response is to edit my quote to make it seem I said or implied something I didn't. Which is dishonest.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:27 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Someone else brought up the Obama Christmas messages. You then said you couldn't see Trump also releasing one. I questioned you and gave some historical time perspective as well as pointing out how criticizing someone for not doing something well before it would be expected is premature. What I should have said was that it's stupid.

Your response is to edit my quote to make it seem I said or implied something I didn't. Which is dishonest.

IMO, it sounded like you were calling me a leftie or something of that nature if you were not then I am sorry.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:25 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
No duh! Why do you think they turned the NFL into a SJW activist group and did the same thing to Star Wars, also now having killed off two major of the OT characters while replacing them with SJW characters?

It's their goal to first attack institutions of our culture, then start to take them over and use them to push their agenda, then they start cleansing all the good stuff from it and replacing it with the Commie/NWO stuff.
Star Wars?!?

Did you miss Billy Dee Williams in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi?

Did you not notice that Leia was already a strong, female character?

Mark Hamill will be in the next installment. Just as a Force Ghost.

Good grief.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:32 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,451,117 times
I used to think the right was nuts when they would say things like this.

My logic was that most people celebrate Christmas, is it so wrong to be inclusive?

But I realized these people don’t want to be “inclusive.” They want to be at the top of the hierarchy with Christians at the bottom. If this were about equality, I would support it. It’s not. This is about supremacy.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:02 PM

15,980 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I don't agree with what the OP wrote but this letter goes too far IMO. What is the U of M?
University of Moscow

Old 12-17-2017, 08:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
University of Moscow

University of MAGA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies