Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 06:56 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times

Advertisements

Proof positive that students have too much time on their hands in order to keep dreaming up all these forms of insanity.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:59 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
It's the Christian fundamentalists who have a war on Santa (he's a false idol) and a war on Halloween (Satan worship).

Old 12-16-2017, 07:02 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yeh, I'm on the "left" but I don't really even know who Buchanan is. Presumably a religious fanatic nut case or extreme right wing radio host?

I disagree with all the stupid nonsense in that letter, as would most people. If that stuff is so true, then how come I have a Christmas tree? How come, at the grocery store today, all the employees were dressed in red and there were two women in the front of the store festively dressed in red with a young girl dressed in red with white fur, like Mrs Santa Claus? I guess I must have been imagining all the red and green decorations in the store. I even said to the cashier (dressed in Christmas themed clothing) that the store sure did Christmas very well! "We try", he said.

Why is my town always beautified at this time of year with Christmas lights? This stupid letter is from one selected crazy place. That is not what this country is like. And I live in the part of the USA that some rightest extremists would probably think does not like Christmas. Sorry to disappoint you, but you have been lied to.

Is the bold directed at me? Not sure why... I live in a very diverse urban area. There is some Christmas themed stuff. Not a lot. My family lives in NYC and state where there is a mix of Xmas and Hanukkah displays. I don't have any issues with any of it. I've even done a little decoration of my apartment as I am hosting Xmas this year. I do have an issue with that letter though. Life would be too boring if we were to sanitize it to the point that nothing could possibly offend anyone. Not sure if it is real or not but I do know some schools are going this far. In the 90's we fought for our rights as gays and lesbians b/c it was needed. BUT, I was not fighting for things like this letter to be mainstream. But yeah, the majority of the country is not like this. Even the "evil liberal west coast and northeast." Have a lovely night.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:02 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
My opinion is in the title. Pat Buchanan coined the term for it, "cultural war". There are active elements out there, the vast majority either left or Islamic, who are waging a war to destroy America. And one of the most effective way to accomplish that goal is to destroy American traditions and positive aspects of it's culture.

https://twitter.com/miltimore79/stat...25792360255488
Christmas, while celebrated here by many, maybe even most people, is NOT an American tradition. Christmas, as a holiday, pre-dates the formation of the United States by about 1440 years.

There is no war on Christmas. Some will celebrate it, others will not.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:03 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yeh, I'm on the "left" but I don't really even know who Buchanan is. Presumably a religious fanatic nut case or extreme right wing radio host?

I disagree with all the stupid nonsense in that letter, as would most people. If that stuff is so true, then how come I have a Christmas tree? How come, at the grocery store today, all the employees were dressed in red and there were two women in the front of the store festively dressed in red with a young girl dressed in red with white fur, like Mrs Santa Claus? I guess I must have been imagining all the red and green decorations in the store. I even said to the cashier (dressed in Christmas themed clothing) that the store sure did Christmas very well! "We try", he said.

Why is my town always beautified at this time of year with Christmas lights? This stupid letter is from one selected crazy place. That is not what this country is like. And I live in the part of the USA that some rightest extremists would probably think does not like Christmas. Sorry to disappoint you, but you have been lied to.
Pat Buchanan is an author, commentator, broadcaster, etc. He is also a former senior advisor to President's Nixon, Ford, and Reagan and also ran for president twice on the Reform Party ticket. He is also a former host on CNN. He isn't a religious fanatic or extreme radio host. I'm guessing you think anyone who expresses an opinion about the current state of our union that doesn't sound like something that came out of Hillary Clinton's mouth is an extreme right-wing nutjob.

The example given here by this OP is not a random or rare event. These same kinds of extreme lib nonsense were circulating around college campuses around Halloween this year as well. While this is certainly not an extremely wide-spread phenomenon, it is certainly not nonsense or some made up lie. There are extremists on both sides of the aisle and for some reason the liberal ones want to go after holidays and make them neutral for everyone. If you don't like the holiday, don't celebrate it. Just take the day off and pretend it never happened.

However, with that being said, you are absolutely right that this is not a wide spread thing. I don't think anyone thinks that all or even most leftists are "anti-Christmas" or don't celebrate Christmas like the rest of us. In fact, I don't really understand the defensive nature of your post, as if someone accused you or people of your political party of something here. This post was all about one letter sent out to students and faculty, not some all-encompassing allegation of heresy directed at Democrats. Christmas is a season beloved by almost everyone in this country, and I don't think politics effects that love one bit. At least not for most of us.

Also, if we are being honest, the fact is there has been a movement over the last several years against Christmas traditions by certain far left elements who try to spread their banner of "diversity" over the holidays and force people to stop celebrating Christmas in the traditional ways. For instance the push to stop businesses and towns from displaying signs that use the word "Christmas". They would prefer us to say "Happy Holidays" or something like that. Anything to take the reason for the season out of the equation. Like it or not, this is supposed to be a celebration of the birth of Christ. Not saying everyone must celebrate it as such, but they should at least respect the origins of this national holiday.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:08 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Christmas, while celebrated here by many, maybe even most people, is NOT an American tradition. Christmas, as a holiday, pre-dates the formation of the United States by about 1440 years.

There is no war on Christmas. Some will celebrate it, others will not.
You are absolutely correct about the history of the religion. However, Christmas as a national holiday in this country was not officially declared until 1870. And our national Christmas holiday is the one some people get all upset about, because it is a national holiday which is based on the birth of Christ. So that makes it a religious national holiday, and that just upsets some of the more extreme lefties out there. But I agree with you sentiment. Some will celebrate, and some won't. I would only add that those who won't or don't should stay out of how others choose to celebrate the holiday.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:12 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
I say happy holidays just to offend you little snowflakes.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:17 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
No duh! Why do you think they turned the NFL into a SJW activist group and did the same thing to Star Wars, also now having killed off two major of the OT characters while replacing them with SJW characters?

It's their goal to first attack institutions of our culture, then start to take them over and use them to push their agenda, then they start cleansing all the good stuff from it and replacing it with the Commie/NWO stuff.
You are upset about them introducing non-white characters on Star Wars?
Non-white characters on Star Wars and peaceful protests of police misconduct is Communist and New World Order stuff?
I can't even begin to wrap my mind around that.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:20 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I don't agree with what the OP wrote but this letter goes too far IMO. What is the U of M?

It's a public university. I almost wish I were a student there. Be assured that no one would get away with telling me which colors or pins I couldn't wear or what food I couldn't eat at a particular time.

If kids tolerate that crap, they deserve what they get. Administration has been [w]ussified by agitators who, themselves, have become emboldened to oppress those with whom they don't agree.

Just who are the nazis and fascists?

Old 12-16-2017, 07:24 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
You are upset about them introducing non-white characters on Star Wars?
Non-white characters on Star Wars and peaceful protests of police misconduct is Communist and New World Order stuff?
I can't even begin to wrap my mind around that.
Oh, good grief. I kind of skimmed over that post, until you quoted it.

I'm speechless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies