Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 07:28 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
[/b]

Is the bold directed at me? Not sure why... I live in a very diverse urban area. There is some Christmas themed stuff. Not a lot. My family lives in NYC and state where there is a mix of Xmas and Hanukkah displays. I don't have any issues with any of it. I've even done a little decoration of my apartment as I am hosting Xmas this year. I do have an issue with that letter though. Life would be too boring if we were to sanitize it to the point that nothing could possibly offend anyone. Not sure if it is real or not but I do know some schools are going this far. In the 90's we fought for our rights as gays and lesbians b/c it was needed. BUT, I was not fighting for things like this letter to be mainstream. But yeah, the majority of the country is not like this. Even the "evil liberal west coast and northeast." Have a lovely night.
No, please don't think it was directed at you. It was in response to the first post--about a war on Christmas.

I agree with the poster who said that people need to stop ruining Christmas every year with this imaginary "war on Christmas" stuff. There IS no war on Christmas. Just because some crazy people at some far left university come out with stupid things, doesn't mean that the vast majority in this country want to do away with Christmas.

And it has zero to do with Hillary, lol and zero to do with anything except that someone came up with a stupid letter. Then someone else came and said they are not "allowed" to say happy birthday. Practically everyone in the USA would say that stuff is crazy. Look around you and you will see beautiful Christmas trees, lights in windows, decorations all around town, people wishing you a Merry Christmas. If you spend your time hating and pretending people have turned against you and are taking Christmas away, you are doing yourself a disservice by not even feeling the love and light that is the reason for the season.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:33 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,788,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It's a public university. I almost wish I were a student there. Be assured that no one would get away with telling me which colors or pins I couldn't wear or what food I couldn't eat at a particular time.

If kids tolerate that crap, they deserve what they get. Administration has been [w]ussified by agitators who, themselves, have become emboldened to oppress those with whom they don't agree.

Just who are the nazis and fascists?
The letter is not for students, it's for employees of the university. It clearly states that they can choose to celebrate however they like when they are not at work. Most posters on this board don't understand the intent of the letter because they are used to being in the religious majority. I don't think any Trump supporter transplanted in the Middle East would appreciate a public university with a strong Islamic culture. Certainly a Christian would feel uncomfortable in a university where the faculty only recognized Islamic holidays and traditions.

I don't know I feel about the letter personally, but I can certainly understand the purpose behind it.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:34 PM

993 posts, read 767,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
For clarification:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Buchanan

Fairly accomplished even by the exalted standards of some of the posters.

https://townhall.com/columnists/patbuchanan/
He’s a very nice guy and yes, accomplished. I don’t agree with many of his views but he’d be the last guy to take offense. He’s tolerant of other views.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:49 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No, please don't think it was directed at you. It was in response to the first post--about a war on Christmas.

I agree with the poster who said that people need to stop ruining Christmas every year with this imaginary "war on Christmas" stuff. There IS no war on Christmas. Just because some crazy people at some far left university come out with stupid things, doesn't mean that the vast majority in this country want to do away with Christmas.

And it has zero to do with Hillary, lol and zero to do with anything except that someone came up with a stupid letter. Then someone else came and said they are not "allowed" to say happy birthday. Practically everyone in the USA would say that stuff is crazy. Look around you and you will see beautiful Christmas trees, lights in windows, decorations all around town, people wishing you a Merry Christmas. If you spend your time hating and pretending people have turned against you and are taking Christmas away, you are doing yourself a disservice by not even feeling the love and light that is the reason for the season.
Cool. I didn't think it was but wanted to verify. I agree, this imaginary war on Christmas is just stupid. It simply does not exist. We can all find some extreme examples. I tend to display them as extreme where the posters and right wing display them as mainstream. It's just crazy.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:54 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Considering the results of the war on poverty, the war on crime, the war on cancer, the war on inflation, the war on drugs, the war on terror, and the war on women....

There is no reason to worry about Christmas going away. It'll be just fine

Old 12-16-2017, 08:16 PM

10,491 posts, read 4,051,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
My opinion is in the title. Pat Buchanan coined the term for it, "cultural war". There are active elements out there, the vast majority either left or Islamic, who are waging a war to destroy America. And one of the most effective way to accomplish that goal is to destroy American traditions and positive aspects of it's culture.

https://twitter.com/miltimore79/stat...25792360255488
Wow! This here is a pure dictatorship....

Old 12-16-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Christmas, while celebrated here by many, maybe even most people, is NOT an American tradition. Christmas, as a holiday, pre-dates the formation of the United States by about 1440 years.

There is no war on Christmas. Some will celebrate it, others will not.
Yes, Christmas is a tradition in the United States, whether you like it or not. A tradition is a transition of customs, cultures and beliefs being handed down from one generation to another. It's also why America celebrates Cinco De mayo, it's a tradition passed on down from Mexicans who migrated to the US and decided to call this place their home......

Last edited by warhorse78; 12-16-2017 at 08:37 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
You are upset about them introducing non-white characters on Star Wars?
Non-white characters on Star Wars and peaceful protests of police misconduct is Communist and New World Order stuff?
I can't even begin to wrap my mind around that.
It's not the non white character people are ticked off. Actually, most fans, including me, like the Finn character and would have preferred him to be the main character in the new movies. What's irking many is this feminism being shoved down our throats, and in order to do that, they have to make a mockery of the male characters....

Old 12-16-2017, 08:38 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
So a university sends out a letter saying that folks may want to consider that many don't celebrate Christmas and they offer other ways to celebrate the holidays.

And so you all interpret to mean they are trying to get rid of Christmas.

How does your logic work?

I don't see how any of that impacts someone who chooses to still throw a Christmas party.

Relax.....no one is coming for your precious Christmas......

Old 12-16-2017, 08:48 PM

1,896 posts, read 812,494 times
Yawn....

It starts off with "We encourage"

And the Jews get left out of it to if you actually read the letter.... War on Jews?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies