Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 03:42 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The party in power routinely suffers losses in the midterms. For more on that, please refer to 2010 and 2014.
Ryan wants to talk about cuts to Medicare and SS--they do usually suffer losses--but he's going for a record. Combine that with Trump's dismal approvals and flagging popularity, and this could be a fun midterm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 04:01 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
hint-under the ACA insurance costs slowed their increase from the prior years. Most of the fear mongering about a sudden spike in costs was propaganda. Now thats going to change.
Insurance costs for people who were paying for their own insurance did not slow.

I don't have a dog in this fight as of now, as I have insurance coverage from a former employer that is reasonable.

But, there is no way that I will ever be convinced that hard working people who were paying for their own insurance should have to pay thousands more for less benefits to subsidize other people who didn't have insurance.

So you can call what I think propaganda, but there are millions of Americans who think like I do and we know who to blame for what happened to our fellow citizens(many of whom are family and friends).

Old 12-21-2017, 04:12 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Insurance costs for people who were paying for their own insurance did not slow.

I don't have a dog in this fight as of now, as I have insurance coverage from a former employer that is reasonable.

But, there is no way that I will ever be convinced that hard working people who were paying for their own insurance should have to pay thousands more for less benefits to subsidize other people who didn't have insurance.

So you can call what I think propaganda, but there are millions of Americans who think like I do and we know who to blame for what happened to our fellow citizens(many of whom are family and friends).
No, I can call it wrong. Go look up the statistics for yourself. I'm not saying it got cheaper, I am saying the rate of increase fell under Obama. So...when your insurance costs go up these next few years...will you blame Obama, or Trump?

Old 12-21-2017, 04:26 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
WASHINGTON — The sweeping tax overhaul approved by Congress this week hands Republicans a long-sought achievement they believe will bolster their defenses in next year’s midterm campaign, but party officials concede the measure can only mitigate their losses in what is shaping up to be a punishing election year.

While the tax legislation is broadly unpopular as it reaches President Trump’s desk, the bill offers Republicans the sort of signature accomplishment they have been lacking to galvanize their demoralized donors and many of their voters.

Yet with voters indicating by wide margins they prefer Democrats to control Congress and bestowing Mr. Trump with historically low approval ratings, the tax plan is hardly a panacea for Republican lawmakers on the ballot in 2018. At best, it is the political equivalent of tacking up plywood against exterior windows to lessen the inevitable damage of an impending storm.

Officials in both parties believe Democratic gains in the House, where Republicans enjoy a 24-seat majority, could reach as high as 40 seats if the political environment does not improve for the Republicans.
Tax Cuts Buoy Republicans, but They

GOOD RIDDANCE, Trump FASCIST Republicans!
We’ll see.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:40 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Problem for GOP is they've shot this wad before and Americans have woken up to the fact that by and large the "tax cuts" offered by that party largely benefit their backers/followers/own class.

You push through tax cuts to simulate a flagging economy, something the USA is *NOT* in atm. The only reason for this so called "reform" was to push through Mr. Paul Ryan's Ayn Rand inspired wet dreams and the hard on the GOP has for eliminating taxes especially for the wealthy.

As the days go by and all of what is in this tax bill is made known, things likely aren't going to be all good news for the GOP. If history is any guide the thing is loaded with pork and other giveaways to the wealthy, connected or whatever at the expense of the US Treasury.

All this as the generations who will soon take over running this country are waking up and realizing it is the fiscal future of themselves and their children the GOP are screwing around. They are the ones who are going to be stuck with a USA trillions of dollars in debt and the consequences that come.

Myself and others have said this before; while current events may suggest otherwise time is *NOT* on the GOP's side. The white non-Hispanic population of this country is declining. People are fleeing rural and suburbs for urban areas in a reverse of "white flight" seen in the post WWII years. Organized religion is less of a big thing, and so it goes.

Things may not be perfect at the moment for democrats either; but at least demographically they will have potentially the upper hand.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:13 AM

11,790 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Nah, when their medical insurance costs spike they will all freak out. Before the ACA insurance costs were going nuts, under the aca it slowed a bit, but now it will spike.

And, while unfair to always blame those in power, recessions occur about once every 7 years, so get ready for one soon.
This is where you are so wrong - yes insurance costs went up before the ACA - but the ACA did nothing to fix those reasons why insurance costs kept going up - then with the added mandatory inclusions - the insurance again went up because someone had to pay for them - and that person was me.

We went from a policy where most everything was covered in full with reasonable co-pays to a self funded policy where we now have increased premiums and a huge deductible. The only thing right the ACA did was make sure people got coverage who had pre-existing conditions - the rest was a failure as programs were already in place for low income workers and those who are poor.

You now have millions of people - unable to afford even preventative medical care due to the costs of co-pays and deductibles. I've refused testing because I know it wasn't covered. I'm sitting here sweating now as I've had to have additional testing after a routine exam, biopsies and a definite surgery - and no one can tell me what my "cost" will be.

The ACA hurt more than it helped and until they open things up so insurances can sell across state lines, start negotiating for pharmaceutical costs - like other countries do and putting caps on what some of these hospitals are charging - all different rates depending on whether there is insurance, no fault, comp or private pay - nothing is going to change.

Your 7 yr recession is a fallacy - those who followed that idea expected 2015 - 2020 to be devastating to our economy and we know that didn't happen. Are there economic rifts every 7 years - about and it's due to regular business cycles that happen due to supply and demand.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:54 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The tax plan is very unpopular, the GOP is hitting the road to try and sell. A few million people kicked off the ACA and increased premiums resulting from the ending the mandate will also work against them since they have no plan.

Democrats are only slightly more popular than crab lice.

Poll: Views of Democratic Party hit lowest mark in 25 years - CNNPolitics

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guyben...party-n2349015

Old 12-22-2017, 07:24 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
We shall see. I believe that if the voters turn up in greater numbers that the Democrats could make some serious gains. Many sitting Repub Reps are not running for re-election and that will make those positions up for grabs and it is possible that the Dems regain the House. I do not see the Senate going over to the Dems. It all depends if the voters show up or not.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:27 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
People look at their bottom line. And if their insurance spikes (which it predictably will) they wont have extra money.

You mean spike like the 220% spike here in Alabama over the last few years, that spike?

Old 12-22-2017, 07:55 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
We shall see. I believe that if the voters turn up in greater numbers that the Democrats could make some serious gains. Many sitting Repub Reps are not running for re-election and that will make those positions up for grabs and it is possible that the Dems regain the House. I do not see the Senate going over to the Dems. It all depends if the voters show up or not.

Senate will be an interesting thing to watch.

Not to be unkind but McCain just does not seem long for this world, and even if he lives another two or more years someone really ought to convince him to pack it in. On the other side senator Flake is not running for reelection next year. That means at least one of not possibly two Arizona seats may come into play. Other states to watch are Virginia, North Carolina and maybe a few others.

Mind you democrats still would have to ensure they held all seats up for reelection in 2018, including those held in states were His Orangeness won in 2016. However in some of those states his win was very razor thin so there you are.

Oh and you have a handful of old geezers GOP senators who either in 2018 or 2020 may face primary challengers, and or a restless local electorate. At that point some may decide not to run at all leaving an open seat.

In the coming two or more election cycles the House races will be interesting. First there will be another census in 2020, and the outcome of that count is going to have far reaching local and national implications.

California is all but assured to pick up one or more seats in House thanks to population gains. Given the overwhelming democratic control of that state's government you can guess how those district lines will be drawn up.

Elsewhere across the country rural and suburban areas are losing population in favor of urban. While much mischief can be had on state level in drawing districts depending upon who the SCOTUS rules next year a wrench may be thrown into tightly drawn gerrymandered districts.

Personally do not see GOP holding the House or senate long term into the future. Demographics simply speak against it; unless they can convert waves of young people over to their side as the boomers die off, so will go their majorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies