Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 04:37 PM

32,181 posts, read 34,852,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The Midwestern migration to FL is not new--they've been coming down I-75 since the 80s and settling in SW and Central FL. The retirees from NY, NJ and MA have been coming down to SE and central FL in equal amounts. In addition, many Puerto Ricans have emigrated to FL. It is still purple and will never be red.
I didn't say it was new. I said that it doesn't fit the narrative that migrants to the South are not Republican leaning groups because most migrants to Florida are Republican on balance. This was how Trump was able to defeat Clinton by more than 100,000 votes despite a rapidly growing Latino population.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Someone just has to keep reminding them why they left and to not turn the new state into the crapfest they left. Illinois is shedding people big time. It's dated December 21, 2017 so it's current.
Really? You're living in Appalachia and you have the nerve to talk about someone living in a crapfest?

Old 12-22-2017, 04:41 PM

3,601 posts, read 1,802,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yeah -- weather is the number one motivating factor.
No it's not. It's taxes and competent governance. People are also flooding into New Hampshire and Washington. Hawaii and Puerto Rico are bleeding people like crazy into the mainland. California is losing the domestic migration battle.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
No it's not. It's taxes and competent governance. People are also flooding into New Hampshire and Washington. Hawaii and Puerto Rico are also bleeding people like crazy into the mainland.
Competent governance like Kansas where the Treasury was bled dry, competent governance like Texas where they're facing a massive budget crisis, or competent governance like North Carolina whose Governor and state legislature lost the state millions of dollars in revenues due to a stupid bathroom law?

Old 12-22-2017, 04:52 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,097,122 times
I think the move to Washingotn is more about jobs than 'taxes & competent governance'. I can't say anything about New Hampshire - -I know absolutely nothing about New Hampshire. I can't imagine anyone would move there for anything. I'm sure it is lovely -- as is Vermont, Maine, etc....but YIKES -- winter -- blech.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:58 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,152,798 times
Quote:
Someone just has to keep reminding them why they left and to not turn the new state into the crapfest they left.
Can I get a Hallelujah!!!

Old 12-22-2017, 05:00 PM

37,809 posts, read 41,104,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Really? You're living in Appalachia and you have the nerve to talk about someone living in a crapfest?
I have a beautiful relatively cheap 2 bedroom, 2 bath modern suburban apartment. I've been here 10.7 years and I'm still not paying the rent I paid in Maryland in for a smaller apartment there. I'm originally from NY (Bronx and Long Island) and lived in Maryland for 12 years. I pay no state income tax. My electric bill was $56.00 last month. There's a lake in my town and I can see the mountains. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park isn't far away. None of the roads or highways near me are toll roads. My town has a national lab, a national security complex, a hospital, a science museum, several parks and an arboretum just to name a few things and the population is just under 30,000 sitting on 85 square miles of land. You've been watching too much TV and movies.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:01 PM

32,014 posts, read 27,191,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
No it's not. It's taxes and competent governance. People are also flooding into New Hampshire and Washington. Hawaii and Puerto Rico are bleeding people like crazy into the mainland. California is losing the domestic migration battle.
Hawaii is an outlier due to high cost of living; everything must be flown or shipped in and that means prices are higher.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:03 PM

32,014 posts, read 27,191,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Florida bypassed NY some years ago, but it has very little to do with politics, and more to do with climate and immigration.

Exactly!

Boomers and their parents are getting older and retiring. Florida offers not just a non-tax on pension state, but more to the point climate suits oldsters better than say New York, New Jersey and other Northeastern states.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,751,765 times
Quote:
I have a beautiful relatively cheap 2 bedroom, 2 bath modern suburban apartment. I've been here 10.7 years and I'm still not paying the rent I paid in Maryland in for a smaller apartment there. I'm originally from NY (Bronx and Long Island) and lived in Maryland for 12 years. I pay no state income tax. My electric bill was $56.00 last month. There's a lake in my town and I can see the mountains. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park isn't far away. None of the roads or highways near me are toll roads. My town has a national lab, a national security complex, a hospital, a science museum, several parks and an arboretum just to name a few things and the population is just under 30,000 sitting on 85 square miles of land. You've been watching too much TV and movies.

People that live in the metro echo chambers their entire life, do not understand that if you live on a farm or out in the sticks, you never get bored. There is always something to do and places to be. They would be lost without their Starbucks, McDonalds and their cell phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies