Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2017, 02:13 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

He did. But to note...he did cut taxes. He did what he said he would do.

Obama extended the tax cuts on the rich. Not what he was elected to do.

Trump extended those tax to the rich as well gave a small temporary break to the working class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 02:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Trump extended those tax to the rich as well gave a small temporary break to the working class.
That's what people elected him to do. Do you have a point here?

That Trump and Obama work for the same people? I agree.

I never expected Trump to do the right thing.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:22 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Now this is fair. As individuals there isn't much we can do at the moment. Here in a year we can look at and try and elect representatives that care for more than the almighty dollar.

Unfortunately there arent all that many. In the bigger picture we must demand a real alternative to what we have had the last few decades.
I think that's what was being referred to here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What the hell is wrong with you people? Just how sheltered were you when you grew up? Have you ever had a fight before? Apparently not.

I am the quintessential my team vs. your team guy. If you’re getting screwed, I’m gonna lay it all on the line for you, but ONLY if you’re down for helping me when I’m in trouble.

You right wingers may hate class warfare, but it’s a reality and either fight or get the hell out of the way of the rest of us that want to fight this thing while you bootlick the rich. Class warfare is here, and YOU’RE on the losing end no matter what you think. And no...you ain’t rich (just in case you were gonna imply that you are).

The wealthy have advocates that fight REAL HARD for them in Washington, but you don’t. None of you have denied this so stop coming at me with these lame arguments that can’t mask, despite your best attempts, the slavish worship you have for the wealthy.

Why do I want someone to fight for me? Why don’t you ask the wealthy that question instead of a peon like me? Better yet, explain why you voted for Trump for that exact same reason...to fight for you and the things you believe in!

You guys have some lame arguments. Just fold the rent and admit that you’ve got nothing. I’m not gonna advocate for the wealthy to be given a break when they don’t give a damn whether or not I get one.
That's why referring to 'Trump supporters & Obama supporters' is a false equivalence.

Our systems of representation need an overhaul, the corrupting influence of money in the current systems require change in order for anything positive long term to happen for 99% of US.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post

That's why referring to 'Trump supporters & Obama supporters' is a false equivalence.
Obama did the very same things Trump is doing and his supporters continued to back him. The only difference is he said he wasn't.

Quote:
Our systems of representation need an overhaul, the corrupting influence of money in the current systems require change in order for anything positive long term to happen for 99% of US.
Hillary far and away outspent Trump and still lost. This is a very different country if Sanders would have won. People stood with Obama and picked Hillary though.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Obama did the very same things Trump is doing and his supporters continued to back him. The only difference is he said he wasn't.
President Obama confronted the corrupting influence of money from Day 1:

Quote:
Obama took the extraordinary step in Wednesday's State of the Union address of slamming the Supreme Court for last week's decision striking down limits on corporate spending on political advertisements, ruling that the Court had "opened the floodgates" to special interests and foreign corporations in elections. ...
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alito-w...-court-ruling/

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp
Hillary far and away outspent Trump and still lost. This is a very different country if Sanders would have won. People stood with Obama and picked Hillary though.
The money spent on campaigns is an investment, so to speak, the real 'pay off' or 'ROI' comes with the legislation favoring the special monies interests, removing disfavorable regulations, et cetera, in other words ~ the economic rent seeking. Stating the obvious, the corrupting influence doesn't stop with the elections.

While I voted for Mr. Sanders in the NY primary, I'm not so sure he would've won.

Although I'm quite certain even if he had won, he would be having the same difficulties that President Obama had & for the same sortsof reasons. We are, after all, not a dictatorship, not even a benevolent one.

It'd be progress in the right direction if we simply had representatives who represented the people & not just 1% of US.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:24 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
That's what people elected him to do. Do you have a point here?

That Trump and Obama work for the same people? I agree.

I never expected Trump to do the right thing.

Yeah that was my point. I think hell will freeze over before we see a president from either party do something good regardless of party.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:35 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Millionaires did just fine under Obama and are continuing to do just fine under Trump.

The prototypical blue collar Trump voter, on the other hand, has done and will continue to do poorly. Sure, you got a bit of red meat thrown your way with the taxes, but the overall jobs trend is going to continue downhill because robotics and AI is just getting started replacing a new generation of blue and white collar jobs.

You should worry less about defending the millionaires who will own the robots that replace you and more about you, me, and our kids are going to do to maintain and improve our living standard. I guarantee the millionaires you're defending do not have your interests in mind.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:51 PM

When he said, "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and wouldn’t lose any voters, ok? It’s, like, incredible" ... 99% of US sure didn't realize that meant for US to take cover!

Old 12-28-2017, 04:57 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Millionaires did just fine under Obama and are continuing to do just fine under Trump.

The prototypical blue collar Trump voter, on the other hand, has done and will continue to do poorly. Sure, you got a bit of red meat thrown your way with the taxes, but the overall jobs trend is going to continue downhill because robotics and AI is just getting started replacing a new generation of blue and white collar jobs.

You should worry less about defending the millionaires who will own the robots that replace you and more about you, me, and our kids are going to do to maintain and improve our living standard. I guarantee the millionaires you're defending do not have your interests in mind.
Do you really think that anyone has your best interests in mind , besides you ...and maybeee some of your family members.

Most people even have friends and family that don't want to see them succeed. Why would you think a random stranger whether millionaire or non millionaire would care?...

The economy and money is fluid. We don't live in a caste system...unless one wants to have a self limiting mindset they will always be poor.

People go from rich to poor...poor to rich . This is happening daily. Fortunes are made and lost.

Too many are born poor and believe they will be poor forever. A lot of it is negative views of money and people that have money. If you believe the rich are bad, greedy,etc then you will be unlikely to ever be rich.

Becoming a millionaire is not impossible. There are MILLIONS of millionaires in this country.

Listen to the left though and you would think there are a handful . And that handful is always in some dark backroom plotting ways to 'screw the poor'.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:32 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
3% of the country are millionaires, that's what I would call an insignificant number
But but anyone can be rich if they try hard enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies