Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2017, 10:01 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If it was for US working class you would be dead.
Hmmmm. You sure you wanted to put it... that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 10:04 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Hmmmm. You sure you wanted to put it... that way?

How about this? If the working class didn't exist he would be dead.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
My point is that State run Teacher (and other Public employees) retirement funds are heavily invested in big corps that pay CEO's big money to run them as well as other things that don't pay CEO's as much. By attacking these corporations/CEO's they are in fact potentially harming a large portion of the working middle class.
Yes, you obviously did not read the study. Higher CEO pay leads to lower investment returns.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What the hell is wrong with you people? Just how sheltered were you when you grew up? Have you ever had a fight before? Apparently not.

I am the quintessential my team vs. your team guy. If you’re getting screwed, I’m gonna lay it all on the line for you, but ONLY if you’re down for helping me when I’m in trouble.

You right wingers may hate class warfare, but it’s a reality and either fight or get the hell out of the way of the rest of us that want to fight this thing while you bootlick the rich. Class warfare is here, and YOU’RE on the losing end no matter what you think. And no...you ain’t rich (just in case you were gonna imply that you are).

The wealthy have advocates that fight REAL HARD for them in Washington, but you don’t. None of you have denied this so stop coming at me with these lame arguments that can’t mask, despite your best attempts, the slavish worship you have for the wealthy.

Why do I want someone to fight for me? Why don’t you ask the wealthy that question instead of a peon like me? Better yet, explain why you voted for Trump for that exact same reason...to fight for you and the things you believe in!

You guys have some lame arguments. Just fold the rent and admit that you’ve got nothing. I’m not gonna advocate for the wealthy to be given a break when they don’t give a damn whether or not I get one.
You can't expect Trump supporters to do what Obama supporters wouldn't do.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:03 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Yes, you obviously did not read the study. Higher CEO pay leads to lower investment returns.
Return is return. All the people that I know with pension plans monitor them closely. If you don't like ROR you can change to something different .

Old 12-28-2017, 12:08 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Return is return.
Yes. Returns are returned. That is the nature of returns. Now if you want to get *really* advanced:

Greater returns are better if you want more money.

Smaller returns are better if you want less money.

You're clearly a fan of smaller returns, I see. However I'm different, I like greater returns, because I like having more money.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:14 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You can't expect Trump supporters to do what Obama supporters wouldn't do.
How is putting forward a false equivalence helpful?

It's not helpful when one is led to believe that two circumstances or situations be given equal weight in consideration & in decision making, while the two are not in any way actually equivalent.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:21 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What the hell is wrong with you people? Just how sheltered were you when you grew up? Have you ever had a fight before? Apparently not.

I am the quintessential my team vs. your team guy. If you’re getting screwed, I’m gonna lay it all on the line for you, but ONLY if you’re down for helping me when I’m in trouble.

You right wingers may hate class warfare, but it’s a reality and either fight or get the hell out of the way of the rest of us that want to fight this thing while you bootlick the rich. Class warfare is here, and YOU’RE on the losing end no matter what you think. And no...you ain’t rich (just in case you were gonna imply that you are).

The wealthy have advocates that fight REAL HARD for them in Washington, but you don’t. None of you have denied this so stop coming at me with these lame arguments that can’t mask, despite your best attempts, the slavish worship you have for the wealthy.

Why do I want someone to fight for me? Why don’t you ask the wealthy that question instead of a peon like me? Better yet, explain why you voted for Trump for that exact same reason...to fight for you and the things you believe in!

You guys have some lame arguments. Just fold the rent and admit that you’ve got nothing. I’m not gonna advocate for the wealthy to be given a break when they don’t give a damn whether or not I get one.
It's YOUR reality. It sounds like you are a typical "alpha male" who happens to not be a rich person. I don't have a problem with rich people or poor people. But I definitely have a problem with alpha males from whichever social class. All they do is screw everyone's lives up with their over-competitive "everything is a team sport" mentality.

If life is nothing but a competition for you, I really don't care. But don't expect me to play your game with you. I'm not on any team, and most certainly not yours. I'm not into competition and never have been. I absolutely loath team sports and I absolutely loath when folks think everything in life is a team sport. I'll leave that clan mentality to Neanderthals.

In my world, you do your thing, I'll do mine. As long as we're not stepping on each other's toes, I'm fine with it. So far, I've had no reason to complain about anyone stepping on my toes besides the government and those who cling to it with an entitlement mentality whilst expecting everyone else to fund their lives.

Ultimately, leave team sports on the field where they belong. I didn't vote for Trump. I did vote for the person I voted for not to "fight for me," but to leave me alone. I can handle my own life. I don't need an alpha male or government to try and handle it for me, or worse yet... to try to "lead me." I'm not a goddamn horse. I don't need to be led.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:26 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
How is putting forward a false equivalence helpful?
It's not false.

Quote:
It's not helpful when one is led to believe that two circumstances or situations be given equal weight in consideration & in decision making, while the two are not in any way actually equivalent.
They are very much so. QE did more for income inequality than Trump's tax cuts will and Obama extended Bush's tax cuts.

I was pretty alone in condemning both actions.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:33 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's not false.

They are very much so. QE did more for income inequality than Trump's tax cuts will and Obama extended Bush's tax cuts.

I was pretty alone in condemning both actions.
The post I was referring to:

"You can't expect Trump supporters to do what Obama supporters wouldn't do."

As for the current post, you seem to be condemning both supporters. What actions would be helpful for 99% of US to take in the current scenarios?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies