Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: True or false, only people 25 years of age or older tolerate or enjoy mustard anymore
True: I have only seen middle aged to older adults actually eat mustard, in today’s young people, just about anything is more popular than mustard 1 0.63%
Depends on which kind of mustard that is being referenced, but as a whole this is largely true; Mustard consumption is about to hit rock bottom 2 1.27%
Not true: Tastes and preferences depend on the individual 138 87.34%
Other/Don’t care about this, since such a topic is irrelevant to society 17 10.76%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:55 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,220,711 times

Advertisements

This question is just one out of vague curiosity, as I have heard and in some cases have observed that the condiment mustard is seemingly in decline or at the very least, is mostly enjoyed by the middle aged or older population, so I thought I would start a thread on this topic and while I’m at it, include a poll where other cd members can vote, also, please feel free to give a brief explanation as to why and which vote you selected

Old 12-29-2017, 11:02 AM

308 posts, read 237,780 times
Got to be honest as a kid i hated it.If its on a sandwich now,i will eat it but im not keen and theres certainly never any in my cupboards. Im middle aged (52)

Unfortunately i cant see your poll either

EDIT: Your poll has now appeared,so i voted for the 2nd option

Old 12-29-2017, 11:16 AM

23,552 posts, read 24,064,911 times
Seems that mustard consumption is declining from years past, just based on my casual observations. I only typically have a light serving on a warm pastrami sandwich.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:25 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,901,124 times
I started taking tuna sandwiches to school in first grade. My mother mixed the tuna with celery, olives, and mayo, and spread French's yellow mustard on the bread. Now I put both mayo and mustard in with the tuna when I mix it in the bowl.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:38 AM

27,197 posts, read 13,489,086 times
I am pretty sure most youngsters could taste English Mustard which is very hot compared to what is generally served in America, whilst French Mustard is much darker and more mild and nice with steak.

Mustard Manual: Your Guide to Mustard Varieties | Serious Eats

Old 12-29-2017, 11:51 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times
Hated it as a kid but really became fond of it later on.

Unfortunately my stomach can no longer tolerate anything other than honey mustard.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:57 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,360,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
This question is just one out of vague curiosity, as I have heard and in some cases have observed that the condiment mustard is seemingly in decline or at the very least, is mostly enjoyed by the middle aged or older population, so I thought I would start a thread on this topic and while I’m at it, include a poll where other cd members can vote, also, please feel free to give a brief explanation as to why and which vote you selected
Interesting topic.

On the assumption that this is true and occurring here in the US, I will venture a guess one contributing factor may be changing demographics in an evolving society: age and cultural.

Generally speaking, and painting with a broad brush:

Kids and younger folks have a higher preference for sweeter flavored foods. This translates to a preference for ketchup over mustard as a condiment on commonly eaten foods such as burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, etc. But as they age, their palate becomes more developed and they start to appreciate and incorporate less sweet foods, some with bolder flavors such as mustard and horseradish as condiments on those same foods.

As the older generation of Baby Boomers, who regularly consume mustard continuously declines in numbers, and with the next large population bulge of Millennials still relatively young enough to prefer sweeter ketchup over mustard, we can see the numbers for mustard consumption correspondingly decline.

I know for me that was true. Ketchup was pretty much on anything and everything as a kid, but as I aged, I starting to prefer mustards of all kids, and now rarely eat ketchup, which I find too cloyingly sweet.

Cultural:
As the US diversifies ethnically, there may be a shift in general palate preference for standard condiments. For example, we've seen a rise in the consumption of salsas and hot sauces such as sriracha. It would not surprise me if ketchup consumption also declines as a result, but probably only in the older generations. kids of all kids will still prefer sweet ketchup as a condiment. Mustard, unless one is exposed to it growing up, may just never make enough of an inroad into many adult people's condiment rotation, especially if they do not eat foods where it may commonly be used.

...Or maybe they just need to bring back the Grey Poupon commercial with the gentleman in the limo?

Old 12-29-2017, 12:08 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,525,969 times
My sister has to buy mustard from Costco because her 12 year old, 18 year old, and 23 year old all love the stuff. But they also love stuff like buffalo wings (the hotter the better) and wasabi, so they clearly aren't shy about bold flavors.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
It is possible that younger people are still locked into a sweet preference. In fact, it seems to me that sweeter foods abound now. Sweet salad dressings, sweet barbeque sauce, sweet things cooked in veggies. That flavor seems to me to predominate in restaurant foods. And this might also be happening in home kitchens. (But younger folks are probably not doing that much cooking.)

But I think saying that anyone under 25 won't eat mustard is a generalization. Gross generalizations are seldom correct. And for Pete's sake, what do younger folks put on their hot dogs?

Old 12-29-2017, 12:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
This question sounds like a 6 year old made it up! LOL I ate far more mustard as a child than I do now. I don't like the spicy kick it has and my stomach can't take anything spicy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies