Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 04:31 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
There is a weird disconnect going on. I read all kinds of American's 'opinions' on China caving, bad economy, etc.

Then I see Richard Engel's comprehensive documentary on China, and I am floored. China is so so far ahead of us technologically, scientifically and culturally that the US does not stand a chance.
I did some tech journalism and had relationships with some of the top people from the tech corridor of China - as you say there is absolutely no comparison...with anything in the USA I have run into.

My ex-employee who worked for me for 20 years ended up visiting a number of times and marrying a Woman from there...they stayed with us last year for a few days. I already knew the score but talking to her and my ex-employee more just buttressed what I had already experienced.

Not even in the same ballpark. People here look around for how they can work the least and make the most. They start businesses (if they do that at all) with the idea of "exiting" as soon as they can. They won't take big risks...I ran into this time and time again the USA.

Forgive our friends here who don't understand. They have no frame of reference and just cut and paste from web sites or parrot Trump or his minions. None of those people know what they are talking about either.

If this were a Sports game I'd think of it like this. There are absolutely no advantages this "team USA" has...over the competition. It's not even a competition. We have entire lobbies that want WORSE efficiency and less education. We are effectively backwards...and, we don't even have the base morality and work ethic to "win" even if we headed in some of the proper directions.

Davy Crockett simply isn't going to "win" against Genghis Khan.

We could do great if we worked well with China...because Russia is the odd-man out here (backwards, close minded)....but we are our own worst enemy. The Art of War come to mind and the people in the Trump admin obviously haven't read the book.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:17 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Some good points here. Especially regarding human rights. Why doesn't Trump say something about the genocide of the Uyghurs in Western China?
Well the list of what's he supposed to do is pretty big. Certainly he "could", but when you trying to negotiate with a economic, military, communist society... you stay focused on the task at hand and do what you can.

Isn't what you ask.... what the UN is for? Have you asked what they're doing? what about the other muslim nations who have a connection to their muslim brothers and sisters?

Old 08-06-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
None of the things you mention matter. Iron and steel have been made from scrap for 100 years....maybe more.

None of it matters one iota in terms of the USA destroying itself.

Spouting off numbers isn't a "debate". Do you know all these numbers for the USA? Canada? Europe? Japan? Of course you do not!

The real equation is very simple. Who is willing to work harder and longer and smarter...on an individual basis? An American or a Chinese citizen?

The answer is quite clear....do I have to send you to all the stories about midwest manufacturers unable to find workers that pass drug tests?
Communism is a panacea ... right? Your posts are very disconcerting and seem hateful and anti American .

Old 08-06-2019, 06:27 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Well the list of what's he supposed to do is pretty big. Certainly he "could", but when you trying to negotiate with a economic, military, communist society... you stay focused on the task at hand and do what you can.

Isn't what you ask.... what the UN is for? Have you asked what they're doing? what about the other muslim nations who have a connection to their muslim brothers and sisters?
Trump has also been silent on human rights violations in the Philippines and Yemen. I would even bet that he has never once in his entire life spoken the words "human rights".

Old 08-06-2019, 06:50 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Communism is a panacea ... right? Your posts are very disconcerting and seem hateful and anti American .
1. That the US is destroying itself is a non-partisan issue these days. Why would have to "make it great again" if it wasn't BAD?

2. The Chinese who is going to work harder is not doing so for Communism...they are doing it for two or three things. For family, self and capitalism.

See if you can stick to facts and economics. I'm not the lazy one....I promise you that. I cleaned up poo, framed houses, ran forklifts and did most everything and anything for 40+ years.

But I do not bury my head in the sand. Go down to Florida or Texas and find an honest contractor that runs large crews of roofers, farm workers, landscapers or other hard and hot work. Ask them whether, in general, the workers from South of the Border work harder and faster.

Let me know what you find out.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:12 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree with this.

America's obsession with and desire to bring back the 1950s rather than embrace the 21st century is going to be it's undoing. I also think it's too late to change course. The beginning of the end began when Ronald Reagan courted Jerry Falwell to win the 1980 election. Mixing fundamentalist religion and government never ends well. The Middle East used to be a shining beacon of enlightenment and human progress and look at it now.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:14 PM

@ craigirl
Quote:
Let me know what you find out.
Well I ran electric utility crews in Florida for 20 years before management. Work about 100 storms, hurricanes, From Texas to South Carolina, so I know about hard work, in the worst conditions with men and women of many different ethnicities. Where your hail from has ZERO, NADA, ZIP, to do with work ethic. In addition.... Originally from Carlsbad NM so I have some exposure to our neighbors to the south too. I've also been to China as a tourist. (7 days) ...cough! Not going back... cough!

You still seem anti American to me and angry.... but hey, I'm not a medical doctor or a psychiatrist.

Last edited by Dave_n_Tenn; 08-06-2019 at 07:25 PM..

Old 08-06-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Trump has also been silent on human rights violations in the Philippines and Yemen. I would even bet that he has never once in his entire life spoken the words "human rights".
Are you linking human right violations to the current president? or is this kinda of a group think commentary from CNN?

How about the human rights genocide while isis was lopping off heads in western Iraq and Syria? Seems he took care of that. Kind of a biggie. There's more.

... just sayin'

PS... just saw this... https://www.axios.com/pence-china-ui...d36481158.html

Old 08-06-2019, 08:07 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
We already had more than a correction Dec 2018. We were very close to a market crash. And the idiot in chief is sinking markets yet again.

A correction is when the market drops 10% or more.

A crash is when the market drops 20% or more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Very interesting and indicative of the deplorable state of the nation. I've been working and investing for almost 40 years and never wished such on ANYONE.

Oh, and Trump is not a Baby Boomer...he's more the raping Sinatra Type. Hard to imagine folks like you think the ruined Farmers or retirees somehow deserve it because they worked their entire lives.

One wonders about these mass shooters...but listening to what you wish on others it's not hard to fathom.

Just so we can "understand" you, what did the Baby Boomer Farmer or manufacturer/retailer/contractor (like myself) do which makes you so happy that Trump is crashing the market on us?
In what alternate reality are you inhabiting?

Old 08-06-2019, 08:16 PM

TDS is real... and entertaining too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies