Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 11:12 AM

31,068 posts, read 22,086,243 times

Advertisements

[quote=LearnMe;50645006]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post

What's not to like is misrepresenting the truth and/or telling half-truths to suit one's bias and agenda, in this case to make like we have Trump to thank for the stars rather than understand what is happening around us!

How are you measuring DOW growth, for example? Absolute dollars or percentage growth? Makes a difference to people who understand finance, investment and numbers. Right? I have a 401K that has been doing very nicely lately, thank you! Turned around and gained even more nicely when Obama was president! Which made for the better ROI? When? How? Understand any of that?

More importantly when it comes to who wins and who loses financially, do you know what percent of Americans own stocks? How much? What percent of Americans own all stocks? All wealth? Understand any of those numbers and how can we be so quick to give credit to Trump for helping other than his fellow millionaires and billionaires? At least provide some REAL numbers, for REAL people, and MAYBE you'll begin to understand more about any of this...

How much money are companies bringing back home, for example? How much is staying abroad? Hell, nobody really knows, but you do? Or is all this also just what you want to believe?

Who is getting these large bonuses? You? Your neighbor? The millions still working for minimum wage or close to it? Again you don't say? Or are you referring to Wall Street types???

If Trump is to be "pro American" and "pro business," why are Trump's approval ratings so low?

Might it be that being "pro American" and "pro business" means a lot more to people than just whether the stock market is up or down? Does the average American count when it comes to being "pro American?" The economy, sure, but what about the environment?

What about all the rest that America represents and aspires to be???

That all you got?
Naw, you forgot to predict the Super bowl

Old 01-09-2018, 11:13 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
[quote=LS Jaun;50645295]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Naw, you forgot to predict the Super bowl
Didn't think so.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:43 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
[quote=LearnMe;50645212]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post

Learned something! Spelling matters to you! Okay. Fair enough, two ways to spell the word. Good for you...

Also sorry about trying to explain in terms that fit beyond the limits of a bumper sticker. There too I know what a difference that can make for Trump types vs Obama types. Again, I get it!

Over and over and over again, I get it. Right you are. We disagree.

Difference with me is the importance of WHY we disagree, but right you are again. That might take more than another bumper sticker.

Last one I saw read "Trump sucks!" That work better for you?
Works great for me Run on it during campaign season and watch the results at election time. How refreshingly new. We have only been listening to that same old song for two years.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:48 PM

On the Stock Market another record day. The fourth record day this year. It could be a record year but regardless its a great start for working people with 401 K and other retirement accounts.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:42 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
On the Stock Market another record day. The fourth record day this year. It could be a record year but regardless its a great start for working people with 401 K and other retirement accounts.
Stocks are up because Republican policies will undermine the bargaining power of American workers, resulting in higher profits.

“Honey, my job was just sent to Mexico but at least our 401k is up 5%.”

Old 01-09-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Stocks are up because Republican policies will undermine the bargaining power of American workers, resulting in higher profits.

“Honey, my job was just sent to Mexico but at least our 401k is up 5%.”
Where do we find the bargaining power of American workers ? Is someone leading on that ? Who ?

Help us out here. Connect the dots for us on investors putting money on the line in the market and the bargaining power of the American workers.
Makes me wonder if the American workers who have retirement accounts in the market are undermining themselves.

Maybe someone is tunneling under the stock exchange location. Is that it ? Call 911 See something say something.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Where do we find the bargaining power of American workers ? Is someone leading on that ? Who ?

Help us out here. Connect the dots for us on investors putting money on the line in the market and the bargaining power of the American workers.
Makes me wonder if the American workers who have retirement accounts in the market are undermining themselves.

Maybe someone is tunneling under the stock exchange location. Is that it ? Call 911 See something say something.
Now the call to "connect the dots?"

Again, how many American workers own stocks? How much?

Again, Trump doesn't warrant the credit you want to give him for our economic gains today.

I know you don't want to hear it or believe it, even consider it, but your blinding confirmation bias is made all the more clear with just about every additional comment you post. Where is the balance?

PS: how's the market doing today? Who gets credit or blame today?

Hint: most Americans don't care, but they sure do need to credit or blame somebody rather than bother with understanding market and/or economic fundamentals.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:10 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Except the recovery started under Obama, so while it is not accurate to give credit to the economy to ANY president, it is factually correct to say "the stock market started doing really well again under Obama and rose to new highs."
Optimism (taxes, regulation) with Trump, baby.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Optimism (taxes, regulation) with Trump, baby.
I was a supporter of Obama's but I couldn't be too optimistic about our economic future when Obama took office. Quite the opposite. Fortunately things didn't turn out as bad as I feared and actually turned around quite nicely by the time Obama ended his second term. I was far more optimistic then, about the economy, my 401K and pretty much all the rest speaking personally, financially. Still good reason to be optimistic about all that now, for awhile anyway...

Who gets credit (or not) for the winds to our backs now? Well obviously that depends on who you ask and what side of the political divide they tend to favor, unless of course they know a little bit more about politics, economics and finance.

Optimistic about the average American or the future for my children? Not so much, for all variety of reasons not so directly impacting me right now. I suspect there is no point in explaining any of this any more than already done, because obviously no one can hear what they don't want to believe.

Guess it boils down to the same old garbage...

Suffice to say, all considered, no way am I with Trump baby!

Old 01-10-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Now the call to "connect the dots?"

Again, how many American workers own stocks? How much?

Again, Trump doesn't warrant the credit you want to give him for our economic gains today.

I know you don't want to hear it or believe it, even consider it, but your blinding confirmation bias is made all the more clear with just about every additional comment you post. Where is the balance?

PS: how's the market doing today? Who gets credit or blame today?

Hint: most Americans don't care, but they sure do need to credit or blame somebody rather than bother with understanding market and/or economic fundamentals.
I said from the beginning I'm not a financial advisor and don't want to be.

If you do be our guest.

Tell everyone how stupid they are about the market and how you are here to help them.

That's the same as what we have been hearing from politicians on all sides and it elected Trump.

Maybe you know what most Americans care about.

Maybe not.

You are free to make your case, provide opinion and show you understand the situations of millions of people with different circumstances.
Provide the balance you say is missing. Enlighten the plebs !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies